ForumsWEPR[necro]Do you have any questions to ask a Chinese?

79 28147
Jiangyao
Jiangyao
15 posts
Nomad

I will do my best to answer.

• 79 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Are you good at playing the piano?
Are you good at math?
Are you a terrible driver?

1) Nope, but a heck load of Chinese people in Singapore are.
2) I used to be, till I got lazy. Generally yes, I would say I'm above average for math. But don't stereotype.
3) On Burnout and Need For Speed yes.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

ding ding ding no modesty coming through

Are you good at playing the piano?

After 20 years of it, I daresay I am.

Are you good at math?

When I was studying it I was among the best in the country. I daresay I'm far from it now!

Are you a terrible driver?

There's no such thing as a good driver in Melbourne (Australia). But if it's a race you're talking, bring it.

Anyway.

Having read through this thread, I noticed that there were two types of question. One were actually thought provoking questions that might give us some insight into China and Chinese culture compared to the rest of the world. The other pretty much go "hey i herd chinese were liek dis hurr". Now I'm guessing some of you probably haven't even seen a Chinese person in your life, but in the interests of keeping the discussion relevant to WEPR, I'd like questions to focus more on finding out about China itself. In particular, I'm interested to know about the changing face of China's affluent and the evolving relationship between them and the government, a local's take on the CCP's humanitarian track record esp. those allegations of the organ trade blackmarket and religious oppression. And internet censorship.

Stuff like that, those are the questions we like to see in WEPR. Less "do you eat dogs?" (which was effectively answered earlier anyway.)
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Liek is it troo u eat teh tiger wang fer the sexing?

Anyways! Have not really bothered to wade through the muck of questions to get here, so apologies if one of my questions has already been asked.

What have you noticed in your day to day life of the state censorship of 'objectionable' material? Because in the West we always hear of the Chinese government using threats and bullying of smaller, non-state approved news organizations to silence events/ideas which put the acting government in a poor light. Along with local media blackouts, the censorship of many websites has been in the news on and off for the past year or so.
How hard if it for you to, for example, access certain websites and such?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm afraid yes Voidy, and not just in China, in SEA too.

What have you noticed in your day to day life of the state censorship of 'objectionable' material? Because in the West we always hear of the Chinese government using threats and bullying of smaller, non-state approved news organizations to silence events/ideas which put the acting government in a poor light.

Voidy and Strop, you'd be surprised how enterprising the Chinese get when it gets to hacking and circumventing the Great Firewall of China. My friend's 14 and she got Facebook up and running pretty easily by herself after we had a student exchange program. They use proxies a lot of the time. Of course, there is anger, Jasmine Revolution cough, but many of the Chinese just laugh it off and continue using whatever banned website they were.

If they want to that is, Baidu and QQ are pretty much mirror image sites of Google and MSN. I forgot what was their version of FB though.

Also, this cute little song which I don't know if it can be allowed past AG's censorship rules. Don't ''harmonize'' it for me please? But for the sake of its academic value I'm just going to put it here. Read the description on the vid.

Yes I suppose they filter a lot of the news and such, but no matter, us Jews of the East always have a way around.
darkengy
darkengy
205 posts
Nomad

Are anti-animal cruelty laws applied in the whole mainland China?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Are anti-animal cruelty laws applied in the whole mainland China?

You know, such questions are more easily answered if you Google them, seeing that most of us won't actually go around memorising legislation of our countries.

Anti-animal cruelty laws first passed in 2009.
Short report in the Chinese papers.
Wiki
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

dunno if evry1 missed this or just has no experience whit it. so i ask it again. if no1 knows. ignore it =)

is it safe to buy patents for china's industry? or is it just a waste of money and time.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

dunno if evry1 missed this or just has no experience whit it. so i ask it again. if no1 knows. ignore it =)

is it safe to buy patents for china's industry? or is it just a waste of money and time.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

s it safe to buy patents for china's industry? or is it just a waste of money and time.

We didn't miss it. Jiang couldn't answer it, me neither.
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

[quote]s it safe to buy patents for china's industry? or is it just a waste of money and time.

We didn't miss it. Jiang couldn't answer it, me neither.
[/quote]

I think the U.S. doesn't allow you to bring any product from China that has a pig on it. Also, my uncle said that you are most likely not allowed to bring Mao's Little Red Book into the U.S. either.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Also, my uncle said that you are most likely not allowed to bring Mao's Little Red Book into the U.S. either.

Nope, you can buy it on Amazon for 8 bucks in the USA.

Also, Devil's question wasn't whether you could bring in certain Chinese products into the States; he's question was pertaining to this.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

So we can answer this question in a tangible fashion once and for all:

Dunno about tiger, but there's a pretty darn big range available. There might be a menu available somewhere...

...it's just like that bar in New Zealand that sells horse semen shots for 12 bucks a pop...
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

...it's just like that bar in New Zealand that sells horse semen shots for 12 bucks a pop...

...to do what with exactly? No wait, I really don't want to know.

Have you ever known someone who was censored/harmed by the government for speaking out against them? If so, what was the person saying and what happened to them? Do you think that what they were saying is wrong/right, and do you think others have the same thoughts but are too scared to voice them?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Strop and horse. Horse and strop....oh my god.

Have you ever known someone who was censored/harmed by the government for speaking out against them? If so, what was the person saying and what happened to them? Do you think that what they were saying is wrong/right, and do you think others have the same thoughts but are too scared to voice them?

Personally no. They don't go for the small fry bloggers.
NiteStryker
NiteStryker
144 posts
Nomad

I am also available to answer questions. So, please, ask ahead

Showing 61-75 of 79