ForumsWEPRShould the world colonize beyond earth?

156 40722
lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

This is actually a debate topic, and a dang good one. I want to see what all of you think about this, being a controversial topic.

I personally am against it, It is just another gambit that the economy has to worry about.

• 156 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Of course not now, since our space technology is inadequate. But definitely yes in the future when our population expands beyond what the Earth can handle and when our resources are exhausted.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

But definitely yes in the future when our population expands beyond what the Earth can handle and when our resources are exhausted.

Preferably before then actually. I see no reason why we should not, can anyone else?
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

creating a permanently moon base for the mining of isotope helium-3 for use as an 100% clean energy source on earth. is a good idea.

1. we can learn close to earth how to create a base further away.
2. we will gain a 100% clean energy source that has the possibility to replaced the nuclear energy source.

ellisdee45
ellisdee45
55 posts
Shepherd

I think we won't have a choice in the future. Our population is already to big to be supported by earth evetually we will have to leave or we die.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

I think we will have to eventually make this leap to become an extraterrestrial species in order to survive. So yes we should be working towards the goal of colonizing beyond Earth. I would actually like to see more resources devoted to this goal.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I think we won't have a choice in the future. Our population is already to big to be supported by earth evetually we will have to leave or we die.

False. We just need to make full use of all arable land properly.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

False. We just need to make full use of all arable land properly.

land is not the problem. in fact all 7 billion people on earth fit in Los Angeles if we all are going to stand shoulder to shoulder.

but if you see the facts how much land 1 person takes up for all it's need it's about 10 times as big as Los Angeles.
well that is for people in rich countrys. leaving nothing left for the poor. what we need is balance
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

I think we should, not just to survive, but to simply explore and learn.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I strongly agree with the idea of colonizing other star systems.

Because the world we live in now, is losing resources rather quickly, and we will have hardly any other choice than moving away from Earth.
Of course, as Nicho said, we have to wait until we have sufficient technology to do such an act

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Of course, why should we not? Eventually we will be forced into space.

lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

I think that we should colonize mars. It is about the same size of earth, and has a similar composition. It is very abundant with precious metals. I think that it could pay for itself in a few monthes

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

The only downside is deciding who owns the planets/moons. We'd need a global government first to eliminate wars over them.

lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

The only downside is deciding who owns the planets/moons. We'd need a global government first to eliminate wars over them.

I agree completely
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Yes, that is a major downside, there will probably be a war about who is going to hold power over the colonies...
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I think that we should colonize mars. It is about the same size of earth, and has a similar composition. It is very abundant with precious metals. I think that it could pay for itself in a few monthes

Correction - Half the size of earth. Composition is 2.00 Grams per square centimeter lighter, which means WAY less metals.

Solution: Just hitch a ride to Andromeda Galaxy and Own whole Star Clusters...
Showing 1-15 of 156