ForumsWEPRPROTECT IP and SOPA

73 23151
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Information about the acts and their impacts (sorry that I couldn't find anything unbiased).

What does everyone think about these acts? Will it truly lead to the 'death of the internet' in America and set dangerous precedents for other countries/governments? Or are people just blowing it up out of proportion?

From all the news stories that I've read about it, it seems like these acts really could be disastrous (if they manage to pass), but I want to get other peoples' views/opinions on the subject.

• 73 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I don't like the idea of the government being able to block certain websites. Just because they don't like it doesn't mean they should be allowed to shut it down. At least thats what I got from the article.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

I get this strange feeling that if this passes then it is going to be ripped to shreds by all of the hackers on the internet....just saying.
In recent news all major government sites were brought down by DDOS today and personal information of all politicians for the act stolen and distributed, etc.
I just can't help but see that happening. There will be a lot of protest and backlash to this if it passes
I could be wrong

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

To me this sounds like another one of those ridiculous bills they propose but never actually pass.

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

From what I have heard the bill itself it would have the domain name of a site blocked.
So I can pull up my command prompt, ping a site, get the IP, and go there via the sites IP.
This bill's measures won't stop anything

chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Yes, but sadly, it will stop lazy people. Unfortunately, there are a lot of lazy people out there (no offense) that won't feel like getting the IP for a website. Business goes down for web-based companies, and the websites get taken down. That's bad news bears for any web-based businesses that get blocked.

Indeed.
I could take any of my bookmarks and within a matter of minutes automatically rig them to bypass a block on just a domain name. Unfortunately, a lot of people either will be too lazy or just won't know how to do that....
This bill would not affect pirates, computer experts, hackers, etc.
It's just a waste

For example, it just took me 1 minute and 30 seconds to make my bookmark for this site access it via IP. It takes about 20 seconds to get the IP of a site by pinging it. And if this site were to be blocked my bookmark would automatically go around the governments little "block"
UJelly Government?
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

For example, it just took me 1 minute and 30 seconds to make my bookmark for this site access it via IP. It takes about 20 seconds to get the IP of a site by pinging it. And if this site were to be blocked my bookmark would automatically go around the governments little "block"

Only one problem. AG is based in the US, so you wouldn't be able to access it if the government had a problem with it. You would however still be able to reach sites like The Pirate Bay. What you're getting confused with is that if the bill is passed the US government can shut down any website in the USA, but if it's based in another country they will force internet service providers in the US to block their customers from accessing overseas sites breaching copyright regulations.

Or something.
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Only one problem. AG is based in the US, so you wouldn't be able to access it if the government had a problem with it. You would however still be able to reach sites like The Pirate Bay. What you're getting confused with is that if the bill is passed the US government can shut down any website in the USA, but if it's based in another country they will force internet service providers in the US to block their customers from accessing overseas sites breaching copyright regulations.

Or something.

I thought that the bill was going to block sites, but shutting them down? That would make the unemployment rate skyrocket. If you shut down any major site like Facebook, Youtube, etc. then the amount of jobs lost might be....
Errr....I don't want to live on this planet anymore...
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Sorry for the double post
I also just found this article
This is just getting worse

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Websites like ArmorGames would be safe. Many YouTube channels would be shut down though, and as Kirby mentioned, many industries revolving around video games such as Machinima could harassed into taking down most of their videos or even being shut down completely.

Some more stuff about the bill.

According to the website I linked, Rep. Lamar Smith is the man responsible for this mess.

http://i44.tinypic.com/alrjfs.jpg

I love the names given to these acts, so misleading.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Websites like ArmorGames would be safe.

What makes you think that? We are dealing with an ambiguous bill that can allow blocking for any accused site.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Websites like ArmorGames would be safe. Many YouTube channels would be shut down though,

Nope. The government wouldn't have the power to shut down Youtube channels, (and considering how hard it would be for YouTube to close any channels they think will breach copyright in the future) they could shut down the whole of Youtube if channels are breaching copyright. And unless the government can force AG and YT, FB etc to force their users not to post any copyrited material the entire websites could be going.

Then again, it's not going to pass.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Nope. The government wouldn't have the power to shut down Youtube channels, (and considering how hard it would be for YouTube to close any channels they think will breach copyright in the future) they could shut down the whole of Youtube if channels are breaching copyright.

For YouTube to avoid being shut down, they would have to delete accounts according to their own discretion as well as any accounts reported by holders of corresponding copyrights.

Many websites, such as ThePirateBay, would likely be shut down indefinitely. Websites such as YouTube would likely be given time to comply with the new bill, and I doubt it would be shut down completely. YouTube would probably go bankrupt, but it's just a speculation. ArmorGames would either be forced to hire moderators to be absolutely certain the forums remain clean of any copyright materials, or they would get rid of the forums all together.

Then again, it's not going to pass.

HR1586, the bill with no name, was passed; what makes you think SOPA won't pass?
Moe
Moe
1,714 posts
Blacksmith

what makes you think SOPA won't pass?

Hopefully the government isn't stupid enough to piss off people with better computer skills than they have.

Many websites, such as ThePirateBay, would likely be shut down indefinitely.

It would only be blocked because its not in the US.
chang
chang
846 posts
Nomad

Well, to them, we're probably all a bunch of trolls, misfits, or hackers. Hopefully not, but most likely, it seems. Blocking websites doesn't affect them, so they don't care. Whatever gets them monies. (Bleh.)

That is most likely true. The government doesn't realize how potentially dangerous it would be to piss of this group of "trolls, misfits, or hackers"
These politicians would have a rude awakening.
And another thing about this bill
If you block IP addresses, then what happens when everyone just uses a proxy? You still solve nothing, and only punish the common internet user rather than your actual target.
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Hello, corporate police state.

We're really in for it, now. I would rather shoot myself than watch this go down, because it will extend beyond the Internet eventually. The constitution has been **** and pissed on, torn up and burned. This is just another drop of urine to the smoldering ashes.

Showing 1-15 of 73