ForumsThe TavernScience discussions.

205 26254
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

This is an area for general science and maths based discussions.

Ask me directly for any info on any science or maths based topic!

• 205 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Read my post and actually think about it. This statement

No I mean that your statement is **** as in I cannot understand a word you're saying.

That's because you AREN'T reading my posts fully.

How?

See this post and the one above, and actually read them.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

See this post and the one above, and actually read them.
What post?
That's because you AREN'T reading my posts fully.
What quotes?

U use too much tecnical jargon man
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

What post?

I'll copy and past it to this one.

[quote]Read what? ****?

Read my post and actually think about it. This statement

"LITTLE!!? That's not little. Dude, that's like a monumental long time."

shows that you are selectively reading my posts to a HUGE extent.

Please read all of it before posting.

Know how I know you are selectively reading it? You read "little" out of..."a little over 15 billion years."
Nowhere did I say that 15 billion years is a little amount of time. I said that the universe is a little OLDER THAN, which modifies the coming number, 15 billion.[/quote]

U use too much tecnical jargon man

Okay. I will speak as simple as I can starting now.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Okay. I will speak as simple as I can starting now.
No you won't you lie...

Anyway... Back to science and ****. Anyway, so yeah. Heard of that neutrino travelling faster than the speed of light? Must be a bummer for light, eh? Wait... Have we already covered this or something, I'm getting tingling sensations of deja vu in my head...
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Anyway, so yeah. Heard of that neutrino travelling faster than the speed of light? Wait... Have we already covered this or something, I'm getting tingling sensations of deja vu in my head...

Yes. I knew this before coming to this thread and you already told us before.

This is going to be hard to put well when speaking simply, but here goes.

How about this for a topic? What field of science is the most important and why? What does that field that you think is most important do that makes it the most important?

I am going to say that for the present, the medical field is the most important. If we can cure all existing diseases and regrow lost limbs and things like that, it will be a huge benefit to society. For the future, the most important thing will be to develop space travel to other solar systems.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

I'd say physics because its laid the boundaries for other sciences like the invention of gravity and the universe and stuff. So I'd say physics, yeah? Without physics medical profession would not exist.

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

its laid the boundaries for other sciences like the invention of gravity and the universe and stuff.

Uh...physics didn't "invent" gravity and the universe...it explains how they work...

Without physics medical profession would not exist

Why is that?
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Uh...physics didn't "invent" gravity and the universe...it explains how they work...
That's what I said...

Anyway. So about physics. Physics is beautiful, in't it, eh? It has helped us to understand the vastness of our universe and pulled us out of the dark ages when we used to believe that the Earth is rectangular. What idiot thought that? And it helped us to understand that black holes suck in light because it is sucking in things faster than light so light can't escape it even as pure energy.

Great, eh?

And that why I think that physics is the most important science of them all...
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

That's what I said...

No it's not. This is what you said.

"its laid the boundaries for other sciences like the invention of gravity and the universe and stuff."

Seriously, start reading what people post. I am very sure that you just read part of someone else's post and think that you know what they are going to say, and then respond to that. You should not think that you know what the other person is going to say, actually read their post.

And that why I think that physics is the most important science of them all...

But knowing this, even though it is interesting, does not immidiately help us.

(I'm going crazy trying to speak simply about science...there's just not the right words to describe it unless you use more complicated ones.)
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

Here, warp drive. Warp is something that came about in Star Trek. The basic principle is that you make the space in front of your warp field thinner, or something, and the low pressure pulls you foreward. Since the space inside the bubble (and you) aren't moving in relation to each other, this will not violate the speed of light. If enough power is applied, I s'ose that you could (theroetically) go faster than light. With this, you could explore other star systems, and possibly colonize other worlds. Only problem with this is that you will need a lot of power to bend space/time. You will (hopefully) need less power than conventional travel, though. In Star Trek, they used an matter/antimatter reaction to get power. This is when you get antimatter to touch matter, causing an explosion that can produce energy.

The idea behind warping is folding the universe like you would a piece of paper so that one point is closer to the point your at and you can get there faster.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

Seriously, start reading what people post. I am very sure that you just read part of someone else's post and think that you know what they are going to say, and then respond to that. You should not think that you know what the other person is going to say, actually read their post.
I'm tired. I cannot be bothered...
But knowing this, even though it is interesting, does not immidiately help us.
What do you mean?
Can't we just agree that all (almost all) fields of science are important? I would like to start a topic about science.
Yes it is.
Faster Than Light (FTL) travel. How is this possible? I would love for it to be possible. We can't really just ride around on neutrinos, so...
Yes you could, but you would have to smaller than a neutrino which is impossible unless if you are a subatomic particle yourself...
The problem with going faster than light is that, as you go faster, you need more energy to propell youself. To get more energy, you need mass. To carry that mass quickly, you need more energy to overcome inertia and stuff like that. To get more energy... an so on. Eventually, as you near the speed of light, you're ship will get so big that it will be as big as the galaxy/universe. And you still won't be going faster than light!
You could just use an immense amount of energy. But that would mean more energy than you get even from nuclear fusion. So is concurrently impossible. But not completely inconceivable..
Here, warp drive. Warp is something that came about in Star Trek. The basic principle is that you make the space in front of your warp field thinner, or something, and the low pressure pulls you foreward. Since the space inside the bubble (and you) aren't moving in relation to each other, this will not violate the speed of light. If enough power is applied, I s'ose that you could (theroetically) go faster than light. With this, you could explore other star systems, and possibly colonize other worlds. Only problem with this is that you will need a lot of power to bend space/time. You will (hopefully) need less power than conventional travel, though. In Star Trek, they used an matter/antimatter reaction to get power. This is when you get antimatter to touch matter, causing an explosion that can produce energy.
So, any thoughts on FTL travel or warp drive power?
You could use nuclear fusion for energy and antimatter I haven't done at physics (not till February/March) so I'm not familiar with it...
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

The idea behind warping is folding the universe like you would a piece of paper so that one point is closer to the point your at and you can get there faster.
That's smart. But how do you bend the universe without breaking it? Or put simply, bending the universe is something that massive objects like planets do. So how do you create a gravitational field to bend the universe? You use blackhole science. Theoretically a blackhole can suck light into it because a blackhole has an event horizon (the point at which objects are sucked in) that sucks things in at the speed of light. But how do you use blackhole science and not suck yourself in at the same time? Well you use a container. But the container would have to travel faster than the speed of light. Hence you would need neutrinos, but they can't hold in a blackhole. So then what would you do? This is the limit of scientific knowledge that the human race have and therefore we cannot teleport or warp or travel at the speed o light. Teleportation is the near instantaneous propulsion of matter across a space. You beam your particles elsewhere and reassemble them on the other side. This is near impossible to do because it is highly likely that the material would be misassembled and you would probably die... Folding space around you so that you can get somewhere fast is intelligent, but concurrently impossible and possibly inconveivable... Who know though, right?...

Anymore ideas/suggestions/other...?
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

That's smart. But how do you bend the universe without breaking it?

Or put simply, bending the universe is something that massive objects like planets do.

What?

So how do you create a gravitational field to bend the universe? You use blackhole science.

Seriously, where are you getting this from...

Theoretically a blackhole can suck light into it because a blackhole has an event horizon

That's not why it can suck in light, that's why nothing can escape it.

Hence you would need neutrinos

I already said on the first page that they disproved neutrinos traveling FTL.
gamer66618
gamer66618
274 posts
Nomad

What?
I said that the planets are massive objects that are so big that they're gravitational field is large enough to bend space-time. Which is the material of the universe. Haven't you seen any theoretical physics documentaries? I think that they call it Einstein's Theory of Relatvity or something like that...
Seriously, where are you getting this from...
I'm not quoting anybody, therefore it is obvious that it is my own musings.
That's not why it can suck in light, that's why nothing can escape it.
It's both. That why NOTHING can escape it INCLUDING light!
I already said on the first page that they disproved neutrinos traveling FTL.
No they haven't. That's what your opinion is. Don't get fact and opinion mixed up; they don't know either way yet, but they THINK that it might be down to miscalculation how they arrived at that answer. But they don't know yet...
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

I said that the planets are massive objects that are so big that they're gravitational field is large enough to bend space-time. Which is the material of the universe. Haven't you seen any theoretical physics documentaries? I think that they call it Einstein's Theory of Relatvity or something like that...

Yes, it's part of his theory of general relativity, the part that doesn't make sense is "space-time. Which is the material of the universe", because it's not.

I'm not quoting anybody, therefore it is obvious that it is my own musings.

That explains why it doesn't make sense

No they haven't. That's what your opinion is. Don't get fact and opinion mixed up; they don't know either way yet, but they THINK that it might be down to miscalculation how they arrived at that answer. But they don't know yet...

No it's not
Showing 106-120 of 205