ForumsProgramming ForumEthics

3 4547
PREDADERP
PREDADERP
86 posts
Nomad

Curious about the ethics within programming flash games. As an engineering student, it has been drilled into my mind that projects I work on must follow stringent guidelines to protect everyone around in a relatively safe environment. Although physical harm may not befall people within flash games are there any boundaries one should be aware of when programming a flash game or any specific rules to abide by? Specifically I'm curious of the relationship between Armorgames and flash game developers and the ethical relationships between the two.

• 3 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Although physical harm may not befall people within flash games are there any boundaries one should be aware of when programming a flash game or any specific rules to abide by?

If I'm interpreting you correctly then all you need to abide by are the rules of the site, and make sure that your game is suitable for a "teen" audience since you need to be 13+ to even have an account on this site.
Specifically I'm curious of the relationship between Armorgames and flash game developers and the ethical relationships between the two.

I don't think there's a relationship between most of them at all. You don't need to have a relationship with them to submit a game, and they probably won't care to have one. All you need to worry about is that if your game is good enough to be on the site (check some of the current games on the site if you want to see the quality of those), make sure it's suitable for the users of this site (no excessive profanity, etc. just stick with the things mentioned in the rules), and that's about it I believe.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Fairly sure this is in the wrong section.

I don't think it is since it is pertaining to the game he is making.

Well, just don't include anything sexual, religious or political to make it safe. Also, not too much gore to make it seem like Cannibal Holocaust.
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Don't steal code that does not belong to you or do not have the authors consent. Even if it is open to the public they usually want credit in the game or program.

As an engineering student, it has been drilled into my mind that projects I work on must follow stringent guidelines to protect everyone around in a relatively safe environment.

Same here as a CS undergrad the drill into you how you should not plagiarize and how to avoid while writing code or reading others code that you want to imitate to some degree.

Armorgames and flash game developers and the ethical relationships between the two.

Not much of a relationships, sometimes people ask questions and the developer responds to that thread specifically but otherwise no relationship. It's the same with the mods they mostly ignore this section but sometimes they still shout at us for being rude. But for programming itself they ignore it.
Showing 1-3 of 3