ForumsWEPRRobots Becoming Smarter than Us

56 14534
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

My question is, what do you think would happen if robots became more intelligent than us? Please say why you think that would happen. (BTW They gained this intellegence from the bottom up approach and nothing was preprogramed into them other than the technology to gain and use intellegence with no help from a human)

• 56 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

My question is, what do you think would happen if robots became more intelligent than us? Please say why you think that would happen. (BTW They gained this intellegence from the bottom up approach and nothing was preprogramed into them other than the technology to gain and use intellegence with no help from a human)

you might aswell just ask what we think that will happen if we made contact whit more intelligent aliens. that sounds more realistic to me.
robots simply don't do anything whitout a human saying it has to do this or that. they have no controle over their intelligents. a robot is just a computer.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

you might aswell just ask what we think that will happen if we made contact whit more intelligent aliens. that sounds more realistic to me.
robots simply don't do anything whitout a human saying it has to do this or that. they have no controle over their intelligents. a robot is just a computer.

Well what im saying is what do you think would happen if someone did a ground up approach (programming it to learn everything from its enviroment and not having everything preprogramed in) and the robot learned more than us and became better at making decisions for itself and everything.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Well what im saying is what do you think would happen if someone did a ground up approach (programming it to learn everything from its enviroment and not having everything preprogramed in) and the robot learned more than us and became better at making decisions for itself and everything.

i think the computer expert making this robot will get some medal or whatever for his good work.

it wont be a world changing event.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

i think the computer expert making this robot will get some medal or whatever for his good work.

Only way I could think i would be a world changing event is if someone hacks the robot and programs a goal into it.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

if someone hacks the robot and programs a goal into it.

why would this robot use internet? he was ment to learn from it's enviroment right?
it's cheating if he can learn evrything just from the internet.

(that medal given to the computer expert is demanded to be given back now =P)
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

anyway if he is hacked, other humans can just cut off his power.
problem solved.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Programming something so complex that can learn by itself is quite an achievement, the man/woman would probably get quite a few awards for that.

Alas, I don't think the robot would harm us, for we can teach it that humans are its friends.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

why would this robot use internet? he was ment to learn from it's enviroment right?
it's cheating if he can learn evrything just from the internet.
(that medal given to the computer expert is demanded to be given back now =P)

But wouldn't the internet be considered a part of our envioment? Yes it is a virtual enviroment, but it still is a part of our enviroment.
Also I think the intellegence comes from what the robot will do with the information it has collected or how will it react differently after what it has learned.
Alas, I don't think the robot would harm us, for we can teach it that humans are its friends.

But I don't think it would understand the concept of a friend other than a secondary provider. It has no emotions so it won't need company or anything like that, which is why I think it would do almost nothing because it has no wants, I think if no one gives the robot a goal or programs into it likes and dislikes, (other than I like electricity cause it gives me "life&quot then it will just be focused on keeping itself "alive".
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

anyway if he is hacked, other humans can just cut off his power.
problem solved.

But cutting off its power would mean "killing" it, and even a cockroach knows that dieing is not a good thing to happen, and this is a object that is more intellegent than us so it won't just sit back while we kill it, the least it would do is play phsycological games on us to make us not want to pull the plug.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

then it will just be focused on keeping itself "alive".

If it learns from environment, we humans can use good old propaganda on it. It worked on humans, which actually think rationally et cetera, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a self-learning robot.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

If it learns from environment, we humans can use good old propaganda on it. It worked on humans, which actually think rationally et cetera, I can't see why it wouldn't work on a self-learning robot.

But then it has the whole internet to its disposal, it will learn about propaganda and the whole theory of it and will learn how to recognize it. Also it has no wants, so why would it want to help us unless we program 'like humans' into its functions.
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Also it has no wants, so why would it want to help us unless we program 'like humans' into its functions.

If it hasn't any wants, why would it want to kill off the human race?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Let us address that point about teaching it that humans are "friends" many of us, are shocked and disgusted when we hear about some of the atrocities committed by our fellow humans, free access to the internet which is a veritable encyclopedia of information on the greatest and worst points in human history, the worst part about this, we as individuals are tempered by the good we see as children and the way our teachers show it to us. A robot based purely upon logic wouldn't qualify in the good and the bad, in essence, it would either just self terminate or go on a mad rampage.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

If it hasn't any wants, why would it want to kill off the human race?

You were suggesting that te robot would be a friend to us, I'm suggesting it would be indifferent to us unless we try to pull the plug on it.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Let us address that point about teaching it that humans are "friends" many of us, are shocked and disgusted when we hear about some of the atrocities committed by our fellow humans, free access to the internet which is a veritable encyclopedia of information on the greatest and worst points in human history, the worst part about this, we as individuals are tempered by the good we see as children and the way our teachers show it to us. A robot based purely upon logic wouldn't qualify in the good and the bad, in essence, it would either just self terminate or go on a mad rampage.

But if its basing everything off logic, why do you draw the conclusion that it would either go on a mad rampage or self destruct?
It would not be logical to self destruct because it would have the basic thing of every intelligent being, self preservation.
Also going on a mad rampage won't be logical to the robot since it would conclude that going on a mad rampage would attract unwanted attention and maybe harm to it.
Showing 1-15 of 56