ForumsThe TavernMath Thread

386 67904
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

This thread is just what the title says it is. It is all about Math. You can post math jokes(the jokes don't have to be good), math questions, what you like about Math, or even why you hate Math.

My math joke: Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by amps.

• 386 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

I am learning this this year in Statistics. I just type it into my calculator though. I don't think we need to memorize the equation.

It's given in my exam formula list; that being said, I have crap loads of equations left to memorize.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

We have to have the quadratic theorem memorized, along with all the geometric formulas like pi(r)^2 and junk.
On our EOCTs we only have things like standard and mean absolute deviation and soh cah toa.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Thank all of u for making me feel stupid

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

We have to have the quadratic theorem memorized, along with all the geometric formulas like pi(r)^2 and junk.

I have had that memorized since Algebra I and Geometry.
standard

Standard Deviation?

You are welcome.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Standard Deviation?

Yes standard deviation. You know, sigma?

No problem bro.
I have had that memorized since Algebra I and Geometry

Me too, but this year is the first year in which they didn't have the formulas in the exam packet. I just thought it was interesting.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Yes standard deviation. You know, sigma?

I do know sigma. What is this the Standard Deviation of? (normal curve, geometric, binomial...)
volcanboy
volcanboy
425 posts
Nomad

I've always believed that there are 3 types of people in the world: Those that can count and those that can't

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

[quote]I've always believed that there are 3 types of people in the world: Those that can count and those that can't
Stop trolling.[/quote]

lol; apparently volcan needs to count

or was that on purpose?
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

That was a math joke people...
The standard deviation of data sets, Daleks.
Like in an input/ output or x/y table.

johnmerz
johnmerz
537 posts
Shepherd

[quote=Alexistigerspice]That was a math joke people...[/quote]

*laughs at joke*
So what now? Should we talk about the "trinary" system? lol (Same as binary, except that it is 3^x instead of 2^x.) It is much better than binary, in that it can store exponentially more data, in fewer digits. For example, in 10 digits of binary, there are 1,024 (2^10) possible combinations, but in 10 digits of "trinary", there are 59,049 (3^10) possible combinations, more than 50x more, in just 10 digits!

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

or was that on purpose?

Reminds me of the
"Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
And I can't write poetry."

Alternately:
There are ten kinds of people in the world: Those who know binary and those who don't.

That said, pointing out trolls (especially when they are not) and doing so in a fashion that breaks the rules is really stupid. Just saying.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I don't think I myself ever learned trinary... Does it just use 2, 1, and 0?

Probably. Binary is just 0 and 1 so it would make sense that trinary is 2, 1, 0.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Are we allowed to make a trigintisexary system?

One could be made but would be very confusing and I would not see the point in it.
Alexistigerspice
Alexistigerspice
1,502 posts
Farmer

Jeez. I only just started understanding binary and this trinary or whatever sounds ridiculous.
so 0 would be 0, 1 would still be base 2^x?
So what would the 2 be? 3^x? I suppose with this trinary you could have those 8bit chains with higher values.
I hope I'm making sense, this is all really new to me. I probably dont even have the terminology right.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I only just started understanding binary and this trinary or whatever sounds ridiculous.

Same here. And what would the point of trinary be? How would it help us?
Showing 91-105 of 386