ForumsPopular MediaThe Hobbit : An Unexpected Journey (LOTR Prequel)

39 15455
ScouseWarrior
ScouseWarrior
1,391 posts
Nomad

What are you thoughts about the trailer, of the new Lord of The Rings trailer for the film? My thoughts at first was that it was taking a new aspect of comedy, but towards the end of it, everything started to get more dramatic and fastly paced. The story seems to revolve around Frodos uncle Bilbo and about how he came into accuitance of the ring.

Link to the trailer:

• 39 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

They did alright with LotR. I trust they will keep as true as they can to the story, and take the shortcuts that are necessary to make a pleasing and fitting re-telling of the story
After all, if they do it well, the movie will become timeless and an classic from the moment it arrives in the cinemas, just as LotR did. If they screw it up, I am sure they will have to deal with fans torching their studio, scratching their cars and getting their daughters pregnant.

I am, if no one has noticed yet, looking forward to it. It has been years since I read the book (I don't re-read books for some reason), so the details are a little fuzzy anyway. I doubt I will be disappointed if the movie can be judged from the trailer alone, and if they manage to tell the story right, I am sure no one else will be either, no matter what might be included and what might not be.

But, one thing: Smaug. I will be waiting to see that giant wyrm in action. And I will be there torching the studio if they screw him up. Because he is a gurram dragon.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I'm kind of glad they did the hobbit as a prequel movie rather than an introduction to the triology.
Great movies and i am for sure looking forward to it :]

thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Thaboss read the books, starting with The Hobbit, but never saw the movies. Even though he heard they were really good from multiple sources, he just never got around to it. Maybe with this coming out he will be spurred to watch them all...

Just a note, yes, I know some people haven't read the book. But it is still 80 years old, and if you are going to 1)make guesses on the plot or 2)be annoyed that the plot is spoiled, you get classes with the idiots that complained about the plot in Deathly Hallows part 1, and that guy that complained on youtube that the Hobbit was a ripoff of LotR.
As my sister said when I told her about this:
Research before you post.

lol.

(I don't re-read books for some reason)

Thaboss does, but he has never been able to re-read LotR for some reason... It just doesn't have all the excitement and stuff when you already know what happens. (Even if it's just the main main details.)
MegaIPOD
MegaIPOD
421 posts
Shepherd

Tell him to buy the movies to support the industry, or don't tell us he is downloading them, because it is illegal and gives heck to the rest of us that pay for our movies.

Sorry Cen XP
Anyone knows the Actual release date?
Arbitress
Arbitress
10 posts
Nomad

I'm definitely looking forward to the Hobbit movie! I hope they keep the facts accurate with the book, as I enjoyed reading it when I was younger. There have been so many great books, that have been slightly destroyed due to movies taking alot of the plot and facts away. However I have hope in this movie, if it is done at all like LotR.

Rakim
Rakim
143 posts
Treasurer

I can't wait to see it. I have read the book long ago but I don't know where I have lost it. I need to read it again before seeing the movie. The trailer was awesome.

cablecar1
cablecar1
158 posts
Nomad

I read The Hobbit when I was 8 I believe. But you're right, there probably aren't many younger users who have read it.

idontlikeyou
idontlikeyou
41 posts
Nomad

Love the preview but I have never read the book.

jaza_m
jaza_m
1,356 posts
Nomad

Can't wait for this to come out, just finished this and LOTR because a teacher recommended it to me. I don't know why I didn't read it earlier, its pretty much the go to book for people that like to read fantasy.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

i read the book and i hope the movie is like it. i mean, its not so big as the books of the LOTR, so they should put the whole story in the movie.

i dont want to spoiler, but smaug is the dragon who stole all the gold and fewels and diamonds ect. ect. and he is amazed about the adventures of bilbo because bilbo talks in riddles.

a movie about smaug...why not, it would be interesting to see how he became what he became and what he did except stealing.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
658 posts
Nomad

I read the book when I was in 5th grade, and I loved it and still do. I actually had to write a rap about it (yes, a rap, as in a song) as a book report.. 8I I can't wait to see how the books comes to life. I'm excited to see what sill stay the same and what will change. I am also excited to see how the war looks *mini spoiler*!!! Sooooo excited!!

Yoshi8521
Yoshi8521
129 posts
Nomad

I think the trailer is awesome. I can't wait to see it when it comes out in December. I think that the movie will be awesome too. Since it is directed by Peter Jackson, and not that other guy, it has got to be good. He did an awesome job on the LOTR trilogy. I also heard that it would come out in two movies. I can't wait.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

I also heard that it would come out in two movies.

what? aw, come on, the book has not so many pages as the first LOTR book and they managed to make one movie out of the first LOTR book. do they need the money so badly that they must split the hobbit into two movies?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, the Hobbit has more content than the last of the Twilight books*, and they split that one up. It' only fair to get out as much story as possible of a good story, isn't it?

*As stated by my sister, that was baffled they managed to split up "She gives birth and then they don't fight" into two movies.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

I am really excited for the Hobbit. I love the Hobbit as a book. Plus, I am a huge The Lord of the Rings movies fan. I'm sure The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will be a lovely film.

Showing 16-30 of 39