Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Help needed for a LARGE RPG PROJECT

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 9:05am

gunmanprice

gunmanprice

9 posts

I have come up with a great amount of ideas for a magnificent RPG, adventure, sandbox, survival, kingdom management type game set in the middle ages, and i need talented coders and any other people to help in the making of this game. I have layed out almost everything i have come up with in the short time from when i have thought of the idea, to now. so after you read the mechanics of it, and think you could help just post a comment or email me and we can talk.

mechanics:
1. The game will have the base rpg engine like castaway 2 but not much like it, just as a example, and the game will be in a isometric view like castaway 2 also (got inspiration while playing it).
2. The kingdom management will be like you get resource by assigning villagers to areas of resource rich areas that you discover on your travel's or by gathering them yourself while you are traveling.
3. The game will have a story to it but i wont tell it all here, but what i will say is your start out as a normal villager and something happens to you at the beginning of the game.
4. The game will be completely free roam, as in you can head out of your village and explore the world around you. you find caves to explore and mountains to climb, fields to cultivate, herds to tame, and many other things as you explore the land.
5. Their will be crafting which you can do on your travels but at a basic lvl. You will need to head into a town to do advanced crafting.
6. You will need to keep a hunger, energy, and thirst bar up as well wil you are on your traveling, so the game will have a survival aspect to it.
7. The scenery and terrain of the game, if possible will be randomly generated. so it will be a new experience every time.
8. The game will have a wide variety of items to make it feel more realistic
9. as you progress through the game your town will grow and be able to support more people, as well as advance in technology which will make it possible for you to mine better resources and make better items for you and your villagers.
10. if possible i want to make the game have a companion system where as you progress through the game and grow your town, more adventurers like yourself will come, and you can recruit them so they will accompany you on your travels.
11. you will be able to change you view point to 4 different views so you will be able to see everything of the world, or the view could change automatically depending on which direction your facing.

Final statement: Now that is all i have so far but i came up with all that in about 30min, but if i can get a a few people to help me make this i will put much more work into thinking, and refining the ideas, and details of the game.

Helping: If you would like to help make the game, feel free to contact me at jasone9559@yahoo.com or post a comment with what ever contact info you feel is necessary. all i require is what part of the game you want to help with, and we will move on form their. now if you have skype that would be great for discussing the plans for the game.

Questions or contributions: Now if you have questions or would like to contribute to this project, feel free to leave a comment and i will be sure to reply.

That is all and i hope you liked my ideas.

P.S. A major point i should mention is i don't know any flash but i do know a bit of java, and i think i am decent at texture making. so i think i could learn flash, and do the art for the game if i can get this project up and running.

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 11:37am

Dewi1066

Dewi1066

563 posts

Wouldn't it make more sense to learn the basic of Flash and perhaps some actionscripting so you are contributing more than ideas and a bit of artwork to the project?

I'm currently working on a project and I've asked advice on starting points here, but I've been out and bought 6 books on Flash, including game specific books and 3 on actionscripting. If I hit a stumbling block, I'm sure there are people here who will advise me and help along the way.

And your final statement of coming up with it all in 30 minutes... what is to stop a game developer coming up with 3 times that in 30 minutes and use their skills to produce a game themselves? Or on short, why would they need you? I'm not being rude, just questioning your logic.

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 12:02pm

Serphim

Serphim

121 posts

RPG!? got it wrong mine is stick shooter

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 12:23pm

gunmanprice

gunmanprice

9 posts

Well your statement is rude even if you didn't mean to be and i was being modest when i said 30min. on another point most of the stuff in the game will take much more than the basic of flash to do and i dont what to spend 2 years or more learning how to do all the stuff for 1 small flash game when its alot easier and funner to do it with people that know what their doing.

One of the main reason's i made this thread was to have fun making a flash game with a few people and i also said i would learn flash if i could find people to work with, because i work better in groups.

Now you do know that making a game isn't just about knowing how too code either. its also about having the skill to make good artwork, textures and a good story. that's what i was offering ok.

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 12:27pm

gunmanprice

gunmanprice

9 posts

another thing is if you work in a group you can split most of the work into parts and assign them to people best suited to that task and that would make the project go alot faster too.

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 5:19pm

Dewi1066

Dewi1066

563 posts

Well your statement is rude even if you didn't mean to be and i was being modest when i said 30min. on another point most of the stuff in the game will take much more than the basic of flash to do and i dont what to spend 2 years or more learning how to do all the stuff for 1 small flash game when its alot easier and funner to do it with people that know what their doing.

You were being modest? Why, have you really spent 35 minutes on it?

One of the main reason's i made this thread was to have fun making a flash game with a few people and i also said i would learn flash if i could find people to work with, because i work better in groups.

And I genuinely wish you good luck with that.

Now you do know that making a game isn't just about knowing how too code either. its also about having the skill to make good artwork, textures and a good story. that's what i was offering ok.

Seriously? Awww no.. and there was me thinking I could just learn a bit of flash, maybe some actionscripting and completely do without sprite design, background design, storyboarding, sprite animation, cutscene animations, voice casting, sound recording, music, menu programming, game testing and debugging.

Now you've told me its more than just coding, I feel completely unprepared to make one myself. Why didn't you mention this on an earlier thread?

nother thing is if you work in a group you can split most of the work into parts and assign them to people best suited to that task and that would make the project go alot faster too.

You're missing the point though, what would a talented coder need you for? You may class that as a rude question, I'm not overly fussed if you do, but unless you're an talented designer who has spent more than 35 minutes just thinking about a game and actually has some content already together, what does a talented coder need you for?

Posted Jan 6, '12 at 5:49pm

Carlytoon

Carlytoon

329 posts

No way, without a good code a game sucks, sorry mate but have you played super mario bros from nes, it have no good story and the graphics arent cool, but the gameplay its just brilliant, so a game without good coding is a game without gameplay and a game without gameplay is a very very crappy game, hope you understant my statement.

Posted Jan 7, '12 at 2:17am

gunmanprice

gunmanprice

9 posts

ya you guys must feel realy good about yourselfs after putting me down when all i wanted was to get help in making a game i thouht would be fun too make and play.

Seriously? Awww no.. and there was me thinking I could just learn a bit of flash, maybe some actionscripting and completely do without sprite design, background design, storyboarding, sprite animation, cutscene animations, voice casting, sound recording, music, menu programming, game testing and debugging.

Now you've told me its more than just coding, I feel completely unprepared to make one myself. Why didn't you mention this on an earlier thread?

now the sarcasm wasn't needed but you brought it anyways. you realy are a ****en ***** for doing that and if you didn't like my ideas or what i can offer you didn't need to comment.

But i already know 1 thing is when you first posted it wasn't for a legitimate question at all. you already new what you wanted but you just wanted to bee rude about it. nice job douchbag.

No way, without a good code a game sucks, sorry mate but have you played super mario bros from nes, it have no good story and the graphics arent cool, but the gameplay its just brilliant, so a game without good coding is a game without gameplay and a game without gameplay is a very very crappy game, hope you understant my statement.

I never said good coders weren't needed, they are the backbone of a game. Now in most cases you need a good programmer, artist, and designer to make a successful game. Their are exceptions don't get me wrong. but most of the time you need a team to make a game good and quick, and that's what i want to build.

Posted Jan 7, '12 at 3:27am

gunmanprice

gunmanprice

9 posts

You're missing the point though, what would a talented coder need you for? You may class that as a rude question, I'm not overly fussed if you do, but unless you're an talented designer who has spent more than 35 minutes just thinking about a game and actually has some content already together, what does a talented coder need you for?

to comment on this. the game i want to make is a simple flash game nothing more. im not going to spend hours upon hours thinking and making sketches for something i don't even know will take off. that's why i want to get some people together so i know im not wasting my time, which i don't have tons of.

Posted Jan 7, '12 at 3:31am

gunmanprice

gunmanprice

9 posts

im sorry for the post above my last. i get mad when someone says something to insult me when i just wanted to have fun working on a small project with people that like these kind of game as much as i do.

Reply to Help needed for a LARGE RPG PROJECT

You must be logged in to post a reply!