Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

[necro]What's the big deal about smoking?

Thread Locked

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 5:32am

numino

numino

219 posts

Why not take some ginseng tea instead?

are u seriuosly gna carry that with you, be strategic man

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 5:55am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

idk. the person could just wait until he is alone. or if he really "needs" one he can just excuse himself for a moment and go smoke one. its really not that difficult. even someone who is addicted can do that.

personally, i found it really rude when my friend just started smoking near me, knowing i dont like it AND knowing that i have asthma. it made me feel as if he doesnt respect me and that the cigarete is more important to him then my convenience.

That act does not prove a correlation between smoking and manners directly.

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 5:10pm

44Flames

44Flames

603 posts

It is because so much people have died from smoking. So the board of health wants to stop people from hurting themselves from smoking.

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 5:45pm

partydevil

partydevil

5,130 posts

It is because so much people have died from smoking. So the board of health wants to stop people from hurting themselves from smoking.

pssssssssst, lots of people die from drinking alcohol you know
let's make alcohol illegal, that worked great last time aswell

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 6:27pm

Bladerunner679

Bladerunner679

2,534 posts

pssssssssst, lots of people die from drinking alcohol you know
let's make alcohol illegal, that worked great last time aswell

instead of banning, we could just put heavier restrictions on it. that way smokers won't feel lonely (satirical comment).

-Blade

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 9:47pm

EmperorPalpatine

EmperorPalpatine

9,477 posts

are u seriuosly gna carry that with you, be strategic man

Then what other positive benefits does smoking offer other than as a relaxant or stress reliever?

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 10:42pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

instead of banning, we could just put heavier restrictions on it. that way smokers won't feel lonely (satirical comment).

-Blade

Doesn't work that way. Prepare for some economics.

The demand for cigarettes is extremely price inelastic, which means that even if prices go up high, people will still buy them.

Look at the supply and demand curve on the left:

http://tutor2u.net/economics/revision-notes/as-marketfailure-indirect-taxation_clip_image001.gif

Even when you increase the price from P1 to P2, the quantity demanded, i.e the number of cigarettes demanded, shifts only a little. Taxation doesn't work by itself and might force smokers who can't afford it to turn to the black market.

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 11:10pm

zakyman

zakyman

1,682 posts

I enjoy the trend of prices on cigarettes right now. Nicho, I think that you overestimate a buyer's will to purchase goods they think are essential. Just wait until it hits $10 a pack...

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 11:19pm

dair5

dair5

3,475 posts

Last time I checked cigarettes were more then $10 (including tax). I'm sure that was what an advertisement said.

Question, why do people start smoking?

Posted Jan 22, '12 at 11:23pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,299 posts

Knight

I enjoy the trend of prices on cigarettes right now. Nicho, I think that you overestimate a buyer's will to purchase goods they think are essential. Just wait until it hits $10 a pack...

There's a point in time when it's not ''essential'' but an addiction that has side effects.

And I disagree with you.

Landmark research suggests that so-called ''sin taxes'' do not encourage people to give up.

Academics found the number of smokers in Eastern Europe did not fall when 10 states joined the EU in 2004 â" even though the price of cigarettes soared by as much as 100 per cent ahead of wages when they became subject to Brussels rules on minimum tax levels.

On average, the affordability of cigarettes, measured by minutes of work needed to buy a pack of 20, fell by 40 per cent. But there was no fall in smoking prevalance â" and in several countries, the number of smokers actually rose, to the bafflement of researchers.