ForumsSupport ForumHow do mods earn merits?

36 5599
Sharkbate
Sharkbate
372 posts
Peasant

A question just occured to me.How do mods earn merits?Do they give merits to themselfs ro do other mods give merits to them or what.How does a mod earn merits?

• 36 Replies
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

But isn't that kinda...well...cheating if a mod merits themselves? its kinda unfair...

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Yeah, but what if one mod thinks that another mod's comment isn't merit worthy? but the mod that wrote the comment merited themselves anyway?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Would not happen. At all.

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

ahh ok, thank you for a strait answer carlie.
But do they have the capabilities to merit themselves?

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

But isn't that kinda...well...cheating if a mod merits themselves? its kinda unfair...

Mods don't merit themselves.
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

I think part of the trial for being a mod is being trustworthy enough not to merit oneself.

Moegreche has made a lot of great comments on games, and I've nominated him numerous times. But I can see how mods wouldn't have enough time to do such things... what with all the spammage to delete.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Very simply, we have a code we follow as mods. We don't merit ourselves, if we write a good comment then we do it just like every other member. We hope that someone will put it on the merit-recog page and another mod will merit it.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

But do they have the capabilities to merit themselves?

Well yes, but we just don't. In fact, I didn't think we were even allowed to give other mods merits until Dan started giving some of my comments merits. So we can get them, we just do not give them to ourselves. Plus, if someone started doing that it would be pretty obvious to the other mods, and they would get in trouble!
Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

Ha ha well if I was a mod (of course I never will be) I would definly never merit my own comments but I would check ther merit_recognition whenever I get on!(that is only if I am a mod)

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I know everyone gets a bit frustrated with the slow meriting, but you have to understand we have lots to do besides reading merits. I try to take time out once a week to do it.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

I know Asherlee but I don't get nominated but I have good comments out there.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

The nominations doesn't have anything to do with moderators. I would suggest getting the meat of your merits on the popular games first. They are more likely to be seen there.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

With hundred of games out there, it gets hard to get to all of them. Especially with a limited amount of moderators. But one thing that all users can do to help, is to use the up-vote button to make merit worthy comments more noticeable. And I know it was a suggestion at some point to have comments that are up-voted show up to the mods and admins so that they can review them and give out merits more easily. Kind of like what happens with flagged comments, but in a good way! I will check it out if this is still on the table. Because that would help us get more merits out more effectively.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

So the question has been answered now.

*locks topic rembers can't waits for another mod to lock*

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Wait, there's no reason to lock this topic- if the question has been answered that's all well and good, if there are no further relevant questions, then it will merely fall to the bottom of the pile. This has been discussed elsewhere.

However, I do happen to have a relevant question. On the previous page, it was revealed that code has not yet been worked in to the effect that mods can easily access a list of voted comments, which is a pity as it undermines the strength of my suggestion.

But anyway, what I was going to suggest was to have a mod actually specifically rostered to checking for merits, while the others mine spam. I know there's not that many moderators and there's a lot of spam, but hey, organisation is a good thing

Showing 16-30 of 36