ForumsSupport ForumWhy do you get AP for profile comments??

41 7407
conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

(Just found out about this today, sorry. Putting it in a seperate thread, even though I started it somewhere else).

It makes no sense to get AP for this. The whole point of AP is to encourage users to do stuff that'll help others or AP. Is this what profile comments are for?
But has anyone noticed that doesn't happen? I mean, looking at KingofGames (lot of comments there) profile, I don't see 1 comment that implies he's helping someone else or they're helping him. Examples of comments:
"just random comment "
"not much, in a pretty good mood!"
"gotta go off bye!"
"ur mom doesnt count as a gf"
"moo"
"hej man iam back :P so how ya doing"
And this is only page 1!!!!
I'm not trying to pick on anyone, but why would anyone get AP for posts like that, and why doesn't AG do something about it?

• 41 Replies
kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

I get constantly annoyed at all the different ways people come up with to spam their way to AP. I think AP should be just for the games, and comments on those. I think it's silly to have them for profile comments, so I'd fully support getting rid of those.

I kinda like having points for forums, as long as the discussion stays good. If the forums degenerate into spam fests, I'd support getting rid of points for those too.

Salmanius
Salmanius
277 posts
Peasant

Just get rid of it. Its the easy way. Have a "mini-merit" button on all profile chats. If a mod oks it you get lets say 5 ap.

fridgendx
fridgendx
111 posts
Nomad

SOmetimes people need help with something and when others help them out thats what the points are for but most of the time it usually is something not important like whats up.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

I would like to see how top 100 and top 10 goes if this happened because Kingofgames got like 9000AP just from comments sure look at the amount of comments he has!

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,192 posts
Herald

I bet that if this actually happens, I'll be ranked #1 because of all my merits, haha! Also, yeah I really hate the fact that you get AP for profile comments. You guys even try to fix it by using the chatrooms, but I guess it wasn't such a big success.

kingofgames
kingofgames
610 posts
Farmer

i know i am a talking person and this is a gaming site so play games if you dont like it i am the comment king

kingofgames
kingofgames
610 posts
Farmer

well i try to be more on the forum too now so i think it is cool to see that people are actic in helping out people

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Everyone says that the points on the profiles does not help anything, but doesn't it strengthen the community? People are talking on their profiles and being friends with each other, that is pretty much making friendships in the community and stuff, therefor strengthening the community....

I probably worded that horribly but i hope you get my point, i am a really tired person right now....

ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

u shld still get 2 for profile comments cause the comments u make can still be constructive and helpfull on ppl's profile

Drognar
Drognar
534 posts
Nomad

Everyone says that the points on the profiles does not help anything, but doesn't it strengthen the community? People are talking on their profiles and being friends with each other, that is pretty much making friendships in the community and stuff, therefor strengthening the community....
I probably worded that horribly but i hope you get my point, i am a really tired person right now....

Have you seen most of comments? 60%-80% are nothing but spamm because people think its cool to earn points with no effort. In solution to this problem a PMing system should replace profile comments without the reward of AP.
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

(Directed at the same quote that Drognar quoted)

Are you saying you should be rewarded for making friends? If people are just talking to me to get points, I don't want them talking to me in the first place. I would befriend people I like whether or not I get paid for it.. it all seems kind of silly.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

I would really not care if everybody lost their AP from comments I really just care about trying to get merits and forum posting

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I think a PM system would be cool, but what about some sort of on-site IM? That seems to be the issue, the quick 1-liners.

Girl_Power2
Girl_Power2
126 posts
Nomad

Yea thats a good suggestion Asherlee.

conquer01
conquer01
149 posts
Farmer

The only issue with an on site IM is if you want to talk to someone that's not on when you are (different time zone, or just school ,or work, or whatever). That's why I think there's no reason to get rid of the profile chat-just stop people from getting AP from it.

And for what King said (nothing against you, you just are in #1 spot with a lot of comments), you have to agree that the overwhelming majority of comments are really just spam. I actually really liked Salmanius's idea of mini-merits. That way, you can help someone in a sentence or two, and still get an AP reward. Though I don't think it's as crucial as getting rid of the AP profile chat points first.

Showing 16-30 of 41