ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

185 29479
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I just wanted to start anew, and adjust a couple little details here and there on the rules and such! Nothing major.

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.

Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important also, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.

The debate will go on until one debater reaches 10 points, or until one of the debaters fails to post within 48 hours without notice as to why. In that case, that debater will be considered to have forfeit. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about. Scoring will go to 10 points. Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Devoidless
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).

So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.

Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 185 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Very nice list, Skyla: all those topics are pretty hot. I can think of comprehensive arguments for 2 and 3, and 4 is a topic that has had me thinking for a long time with yet no clear answer. Though there's a chapter in this sociology text I'm reading that should help address that...

I also have topics in disciplines that people haven't touched: What makes "good" art?

FunkyMonkey
FunkyMonkey
22 posts
Nomad

I like the pesticides idea.

Name:FunkyMonkey
Topic: Pesticide use
Stance:Bad

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
536 posts
Peasant

I know the gay marriage is kind of getting old, but I still have yet to get an argument on it, I did have one with XcoheedX, but it never got set up and that kind of fell through and not gonna go now, so I'm still trying to get my first debate!

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Well, it's just getting old with me since I've done it and I've also thought past it. So I guess I shouldn't do that debate otherwise I might be putting in a lackluster effort :P

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

@ jwalshjr

What is your stance on it? I might debate you on it.

Ichibon
Ichibon
136 posts
Peasant

Sorry, I didn't read the top . Ok jwalshjr, PM me and well set it up.

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

EXAMS ARE OVER! *Jumps around singing along to kindergarten tunes*

Debate time!:

Name: Skyla
Topic: Is the universe infinite?
My stance: The universe is not infinite!

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

Hmm, actually, I think I'll take either stance. I will debate for the universe being infinite, or for the universe being finite.

I'd prefer siding with an infinite universe. My apologies if the previous post confuses anyone.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

I will try a debate hmm

Name:Crazynaitor
Topic:Will there be an Iceage
My stance:Yes there will be in about 100 years!

Stinger_Maniac
Stinger_Maniac
322 posts
Nomad

Crazy I will take you on at anything ha ha!

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I'm joining for sure on this. I'm going against Crazynaitor on it.

Name: Drakokirby.
Topic: Will there be an Ice Age.
My stance: No there will be no Ice Age!

So how does this work? I'm not a usual Debater.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

AHHH! I was going to take Crazynaitor on. Anyway, I think I would lake to take miss Skyla in a debate. I will debate that the universe is FINITE. I say it does not keep going on. This will be most interesting

jalex12
jalex12
195 posts
Nomad

Name: Jalex12
Topic: Does the universe end?
My stance: the universe is infinite

I challenge Estel

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Jalex, Estel is challenging Skyla on that topic already. Should of beat him their. So can someone tell me how the debates work?

jalex12
jalex12
195 posts
Nomad

try asking someone in the support and suggestion forum

Showing 61-75 of 185