ForumsWEPRThe Great Debate!

185 29487
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

I just wanted to start anew, and adjust a couple little details here and there on the rules and such! Nothing major.

There have been a lot of fantastic debates in this section of the forums, so I thought we could make things a bit more "interesting."
Here's how it works:
I will create profiles on which 2 people will debate one-on-one on a topic of their choosing. You will receive points based on 3 categories: argument strength, evidence, and refutation.

Argument strength is just that - how strong are your arguments. Logical fallacies and cogency of the argument play a strong role here (so, is the argument "correct" and does it make sense). Your spelling and grammar are important also, so either get a browser with spell-check or put your comments in Word or something that can check your spelling.
Evidence is articles or journals to which you can provide links to help support your argument. How reliable the evidence is also matters, so Wikipedia articles will not count towards evidence.
Refutation means being able to counter what your opponent is saying. If you can point out flaws in their argument or present counter-examples to their arguments then you can get points in this category.

The debate will go on until one debater reaches 10 points, or until one of the debaters fails to post within 48 hours without notice as to why. In that case, that debater will be considered to have forfeit. The winner will have his or her best argument point merited - thus receiving 25 AP!
----
So, if you want to join, just put your name, the topic you would like to debate about. Scoring will go to 10 points. Also include your stance on the topic.
Once you have this info posted, you have just given out a challenge and anyone can challenge you. If you would like to challenge someone, then post your name, their name, and the topic.
Feel free to create multiple challenges, so long as you can keep track of them all! Once two debaters have been matched, I'll post a link to the profile on which you guys will be debating.

I think that's everything, but here's an example of a challenge:

Name: Devoidless
Topic: Does God exist?
My stance: God does not exist!

If someone were to challenge me, then they would have to argue an opposing view to mine (in this case, that God does exist).

So, let the debates begin, and if anything is unclear or if I've missed anything then let me know either on this thread or on my profile.

Thanks, and happy debating!!

• 185 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Oh gawd...I have to take an unexpected leave of absence and look what happens.

If someone would be so kind as to make a post with all the soon to be created debates and who is in involved I will be greatly appreciative. Still not...all here.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

I'll try but I don't know how far to go

Ice Age: Will it happen in another 100 Years?! Find out in a little while

Universe: Does the universe end of does it keep on going like the Enegizer bunny?

Pesticide: Are they good for you like a healthy Diet or bad for you like a monkey with a weapon?

Sorry if you don't like them. I'm not a usual Debater on here. You can fix it if you want to.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Drako, you forgot to add who is in them. For the Ice age one, it is between Crazynaitor and drakokirby.

The Universe infinity debate is between Skyla and I. I will also tackle jalex with the same debate. I would love to see 2 people debating on the same general idea.

FunkyMonkey is still looking for a challenger on pesticide.

@psp. What do you mean by worse. Worse morally, worse to the mental mind? Please elaborate.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Eh, I was close for my first try though. So what are pesticides? I'm don't want to open a tab on Fire Fox right now. Listening to music. So like Estel said, please say why you think Racist is worse.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Take a look at this link. Pesticides are chemical compounds used to control undesirable plants and animals. Major categories of pesticides include insecticides, miticides, fungicides... (taken from the link.
[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Pesticides&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title[/url]
For a little more info, this link would also be helpful.
[url]http://www.groundwork.org.za/Pamphlets/pesticides.htm[/url]

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

jalex12, I am willing to accept your debate. I will argue that the universe is NOT infinite. Let me know if you are okay with this challenge, as I understood from your previous post, you're looking for another challenger.

crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,611 posts
Jester

Yes I am taking Stinger on cool!

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Name:Ricador
Topic:9/11
Stance:It was faked by the U.S. government

(Note: This is NOT my real stance. I believe otherwise but i like to do debates on the opposing side. It's more of a challenge...)

But i am at camp and won't be able to talk again so no one challenge me until Wednesday.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

^^Ummm, I will take you on that. That is pretty bold to do something like that, but I would really like to see what you have to counter. So, I guess we might start Wednesday?

Girl_Power
Girl_Power
379 posts
Peasant

Hmm

Name:Girl_Power
Topic:Should we lessen or useage of plastic
My Stance:Yes we should

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I would normally take most debates, but that one seems pretty one sided. I would like to see someone's views from the opposing end...

Girl_Power
Girl_Power
379 posts
Peasant

So your challenging me?

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

My apologies, I did not know that Estel had already accepted my challenge, and argued for the universe being finite! Finally, I can argue for my desired stance. I am accepting Estel's challenge, although I'm not exactly sober right now, so I will not start until tomorrow, or if I have a terrible hangover, the day after tomorrow.

Have a nice day.

Girl_Power
Girl_Power
379 posts
Peasant

Nobody has challenged me yet!

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

What is your Debate on Girl_Power? I might play you since Crazy hasn't posted here.

Showing 76-90 of 185