Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Paragon (Chapter IV, Page 3): Magic-City Hylatt

Posted May 12, '12 at 11:11pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

AMW time, don'cha know.

It's like a black hole -- you get lost in time when inside, but from the outside, a helluva lot of time has passed.

I like especially the gruffness of Kael'Thas' way of speaking

His shortening-of-certain-words lisp works well for his character, I agree. But if you read Beta, the very same character with the very same lisp is inside!

Keep it up

I'll keep it up when I get past two pages on this thread! *hint hint*

Posted May 13, '12 at 5:22pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

I'll keep it up when I get past two pages on this thread! *hint hint*

You can't goad me into doing anything. You'll put up the next part whether you like it or-

Aw dang.

Posted May 13, '12 at 5:48pm

murasaki9

murasaki9

1,344 posts

Wow, Frank, this is a very well organized and well written story. Many people write stories on AG in the AMV but very few of them come close to this. This is a true work of art and skill.
I like Daniel for some reason. I await further reading!

Posted May 15, '12 at 2:07pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

You can't goad me into doing anything. You'll put up the next part whether you like it or-

Aw dang.

I knew posting on the tenth reply would come in handy.

I like Daniel for some reason.

You have yet to see the full extent of his personality! But I'll get to that later.

Alrighty...so I can see the huge text might be a little depressing for some viewers so I don't think I'll be posting the full chapters and post in segments like I did earlier. Chapter 1 was a whopping 11 pages on Word in an 8 font size which blows my mind.

It still didn't beat the massive size of the last chapter of Beta, which blows my mind further.

So...Chapter two this evening, two days in AMW time!

Posted May 15, '12 at 3:34pm

murasaki9

murasaki9

1,344 posts

You have yet to see the full extent of his personality! But I'll get to that later.

I will wait and see then. But I hope I shall not be disappointed.

Posted May 17, '12 at 6:06pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

I knew posting on the tenth reply would come in handy.

Handy?

So...Chapter two this evening, two days in AMW time!

My calendar must be broken, because it can't be two days later without the next chapter being up.

Posted Nov 2, '12 at 6:30am

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

~-*Chapter II: The Story Finally Told*-~

“Ouch! Take it easy on me, tha’ hurts!”

“You’ll only get in more pain if you keep fussing, now hold still!”

“Aargh, feels like a hunderd mini critters chewin’ on my neck.”

That’s because there are.”

Master Tristain was nursing Kael’Thas’s neck wound inside the bowels of Fort Argon, while the children were busy taking a bath to prepare for their parents’ visit. The two were inside the main centre, which was a high, exposed room with several openings leading to other areas of the fort. A gargantuan wooden table, complete with simple chairs and a clothed throne to head them all, occupied the middle, taking up a large amount of space. The walls radiated in a mixture of pulsing sepia from the array of charred torches lining up the corners, creating a rather comforting ambience throughout the fort. An impressive glass chandelier hung unused on the ceiling, glimmering from the torchlight. A roughly-hewn stone staircase covered by a garnished red carpet scaled up the wall and branched off in a T shape that then led to the rooms on the second floor. A collection of steam peeked out two of these rooms in which the children occupied. Above the pathway were glorious paintings of what looked to be important figures; one of a silver-haired bard in blue-steel armor and holding a priceless wooden instrument; the middle painting portrayed a graying man in burdening heavy armor, either painted or plated in gold, wearing a modest smile and bearing an important artifact: a celebratory shield bearing four symbols on each quadrant; the third member on the right was of a plump king bestowed with a jeweled silver circlet, a diamond breastplate, and a violet mantle. On either side, a deep crimson-and-silver flag to which Fort Argon pledges allegiance was draped over the wall. The flag’s emblem of a sword piercing the clouds shown out amongst the pulsing glow of the nearby torches.

Kael’Thas was lying on the table, stomach-side down and facing away from Master Tristain and displaying some discomfort with grunts and squirming.  He was generously applying an odd-textured, grainy-red liquid that, when viewed very closely, revealed hundreds of tailed, legless creatures fixated on the wound which were nearly undetectable by an eye alone. Master Tristain put a rubber cork inside his vial in which Kael’Thas promptly sat up and rubbed his neck. The deep, toothy gas that was once there was now replaced with reddening that could easily be mistaken for a rash.

“Good thing tha’s over,” Kael’Thas declared, relieved. “Never liked those things, feelin’ yer neck bein’ nibbled on by a bunch o’ critters.”

“Just be glad your gash is healed,” assured Master Tristain. “Bandages would have been a much slower alternative.” He turned his head to the rooms where the children were still inside, then back to his patient. “By the way,” he wondered. “You rushed up to ask me something, then the children followed you and we had that little accident. What did you come to me for again?”

“Oh, righ’,” Kael’Thas remembered, scratching his beard, “th’ little ones wanned ya t’ tell em another story.”

“Really? We had a small adventure just for this? And I already gave them one before I left.”

“They thought th’ firs’ one was too short, they’re pretty stingy lads.”

“Well, alright. Might as well spend the time waiting for them to get cleaned thinking of a better story for them.” the old man began pacing across the large gathering table while Kael’Thas groped his rashy wound, grimacing. The steam outlining the two adjacent rooms stopped collecting, meaning the children were finished with their bath. He began pacing faster.

“Mmm, what about the one where I tell them how the undead came to be?” He turned to face the irritated dwarf, who was reaching for his left side be recoiled at the last second.

“Oh, err I think yeh already told em’ tha‘ b’fore yeh left.”

“Oh, right, right...do you think they will enjoy The Keeper of Above?”

“Too complicated, don’t think they’ll understannit.”

“When the world Was One?”

“His’ry lessons are boring.”

“The Convergent Arachnid?”

“Woah, too gory.”

The storyteller was finally stumped. “Oh dear, could I have run out of legends and lore to tell the young ones? They are capable of being patient, but there is no telling when their parents are going to arrive.”

Kael’Thas, who was still rummaging around for something, opened up buttoned pockets attached to his tasset. “Why don’t yeh make summin up fer ‘em?”

He responded by turning aghast. “I can’t just make up a story on the spot like that! And besides, I’d rather get them engrossed in the fascinating sides of reality so they will learn to appreciate it later. This may be the first time I’d have to create one, however. What should I create?”

“Oh, I dunno, do summin like uh--oh, here it is, finally I can get a drink. Commere, yeh beauty.” The dwarf ended his search; he pulled his hand out and revealed a sparkling, diamond-studded flask with the indents of a group of armored dwarves in a struggle all holding the cork. He opened his mouth wide after removing the cork, but before a single brass-colored drop hit his tongue, the flask vanished from his grasp. He issued a “wha’ the...” before focusing on Master Tristain, who was grasping the flask’s leather strap with a resentful glare.

“Drinking when you are supposed to be on duty watching the children? You can be detained for that! And what will the children say when their main hero is punished for disorderly conduct?” he twirled the leather strap before tossing the flask back to its owner, who bent his head in gloom. “You can drink later when we are traveling back to Whisperwind, but right now, you need to focus. Remember, we are still in a war; anything and everything can happen in infinitesimal moments.”

“Tha’s right!” Kael’Thas realized. “We’ve been in our own little spot fer so long tha’ I fergot we’re in the las’ moments.”

“I wouldn’t go that far,” Master Tristain retorted, “We still have a lot of work to do. But yes, you are correct, we just have to push a little more and we can all worry about something other than our families.” He had a reserved expression on his face and obtained a chair. “To think I was a young man when the war was still in progression. Nearly all the masterminds have passed on and we are still fighting out of spite and bias.”

“Yeh must’ve a lotta mem’ries from tha’, doncheh?” Kael’Thas added in reminiscence. I wouldn’t know meself since I jus’ started a couple years ago, bu’ it feels like th’ war has been my life. I was born innit.”

“Fourty-nine long, torn years,” Master Tristain breathed. “Maybe I will live to see its end.”

The dreadful melancholy was drowned out by spirit and anxiety. The two bathroom doors burst open, revealing the five children who were under the protection of the sage and dwarf. Steam poured out the crevices while collective breathing echoed throughout the hall. First arriving were Daniel and Danielle, who entered from the left and right rooms. His hair was now in a raised-front style while his sister lost her pigtails and instead brushed her hair to a length that covered her neck. Instead of taking the time to walk down the staircase, the twins climbed down the balcony, which made Kael’Thas and Master Tristain alert.

“Hey!” Shouted Kael’Thas, “Yeh can’t just jump offa there, yeh might hurt yerself!”

“Aww, relax Frank, we’re fine!” assured Daniel with a wide grin. “See? Look! No bruises!”

“Yeah, we’re not hurt!” accompanied Danielle, despite nearly stumbling over trying to mimic her brother.

Kashan, Elane, and Kahna were last to leave their rooms. His hair was unkempt and collected in a frizz, but did not seem to worry about his appearance. Elane made sure to keep her hair shiny; she ran down the staircase with her hair flowing around her body. Kahna wobbled to the edge of the balcony, looking down to see if her brother was already in the party, but turned around to face him when his hand touched her shoulder. “Thanks for taking care of Kahna for me, Elane and Danielle!” Called Kashan, who was answered back with waves from the two. They then walked together to meet with the group downstairs.

“Alright gramps, spill it!” declared Daniel.

“S-Spill what?” He asked bewildered.

“We know you’ve been cooking up a nice story for us, so here we are waiting!”

“But if you’re tired or don’t have  a story ready, that’s okay, we can wait until later,” Kashan added politely.

Master Tristain peered at Kashan in resentment of his use of the word ‘tired’, but collected his senses and addressed the group. “No, no, that’s alright children.” He reassured them, looking down at his feet. “I think I came up with a pretty good one...” He took a glance around the array of torches before continuing “Let us have a seat!”

Master Tristain motioned for the head chair in the table--the clothed throne--while the chidlren clambered to the nearest seat. Kashan and Kahna took the left side’s two tables, while Daniel and Danielle took the right. Elane sat between Kahna and Kael’Thas, who was forced to crouch down on his knees from his size.

“Before telling a story,” the old storyteller began, “I find it best to create the right atmosphere.” He threw his arms high and began to close his eyes and breathe. The inhabitants felt the air thicken and tingle with energy as the arms slowly creeped lower. When this happened, the light pulsating from the torches dimmed. The arms moved ever lower as the main room of  Fort Argon slipped into darkness. The children became ecstatic from the tension and suspense, barely able to contain their excitement. This was especially true for Kahna, who began to fuss over the wonders of Master Tristain, which behooved Kashan to tell his little sister to stop making noise. Kael’Thas scoffed in the back of the audience, muttering “Pfft, tha’s not so special...”

The torches were all extinguished, projecting not so much as a puff of smoke. Master Tristain resumed his normal position, looking around his audience. “Now for some light of my own”. He barely finished speaking before emitting an echoing clap from his hands, flinching the children and causing Kael’Thas to make a sudden ‘yip!’ from surprise. Master Tristain’s body flickered for but an instant, while his arms produced sparks. Out from within his hands expelled a glowing, gold orb of light, sparkling with whizzing thin streams of particles encircling the sphere. The children all gasped and yelled “Woah!” in amazement at the sight of producing light from onesself, but Kael’Thas remained transfixed. He didn’t utter  a single word, but his shocked expression removed all means of talking. “B-but mine took twenny seconds t’ make summin so crude, “the jealous dwarf thought, “but he did it like it was nuthin’! An’ it looks so much nicer too...”
    Master Tristain set his ball of light next to him to allow it to illuminate the table while the rest of Fort Argon remained pitch black. He then addressed his audience with his face partially lit “How about this time I spin a tale about Blademistress Rhia?” The children’s breathing was now steady and ready to take in imagination.

“Blademistress Rhia, eh?” Kael’Thas continued to think, “I see what yer tryin’ t’ do, Master Tristain.”

The storyteller began. “Her tale starts a little over a hundred years ago. Rhia started off just as hopeful, inexperienced, arrogant, and spirited as the rest of any young one in what is now Pårelos Academy. If you young fellows still wish it, you could enter there too. She was trained in classes, she completed her apprenticeship, and she finally graduated and ready to be placed among other graduates. This would be the story for any average student, but Rhia was different. She was placed two years ahead of her peers and graduated at the top of her class. She had a certain flair for her skills. While she trained alongside her classmates, she excelled over all others, defeating them with little effort at all. This undoubtedly brought the attention of the instructors and commanders of Pårelos Academy. They reviewed her specializations and concluded she was exceptionally gifted. There was nothing wrong with her, she wasn’t being controlled by a formidable enemy, she didn’t have any neural mutation that heightened her senses; she was just...exceptional. Rhia was thus taken into the care of the most elite of soldiers handpicked by the Impånväkt to further enhance her training. After extensive sparring and months upon months of growing, Rhia finally bested her masters and was then offered a place by their side as equals.”

“Wow, she must have been amazing!” exclaimed Elane. “What was she?”

“She signed up as the most basic classes of swordswomen,” replied Master Tristain, “but progressed quickly into the elite classes, which is why they call her Blademistress Rhia.”

“I definitely want to be like her when I get there!” Elane wished.

“Having a dream is good, but you don’t want to progress so hastily like her. You’ll need all the time experience you can get.”

But then his face turned to disappointment. “However, there came a time when Blademistress Rhia grew even more arrogant. Her constant growth of ability made her fearless and was irrational when it came to danger. It was all too predictable, then, when a particular assignment came for her, she abandoned her team to claim the rewards for herself instead of having her team to support her.”

“Whaat!?” Exclaimed Daniel, “what a jekr! I wouldn’t just take the reward for myself, how can she think like this?”

“That was only her mindset,” answered Master Tristain. “She was so confident in her abilities that she believed she could handle it on her own. Perhaps she only wanted to spare her team injury and death.” Seeing Elane nod in understanding, he continued, his voice with a hint of dread, “But she should have brought more than her team that night. The assignment they took was the execution of a fearsome...thing...whose real name holds little value today.”

“Y-you don’t know what the monster is?” asked Kashan, spooked from the lack of detail about the ‘fearsome thing’.

“That’s the problem isn’t it?” Master Tristain surmised. “It’s been so long that no one knows. Of course this means each story confers a different image of this ‘monster’.”

“So if we don’t know what it looks like,” Kael’Thas questioned, “then what do yeh know ‘bout th’ monster?” He was answered almost immediately. “This monster is both a magician and a master of psychology; it feeds upon the fears and misconceptions of those who face it and creates illusions to further mask its identity.”

“Disconte...mistondep...”

“Where you think something about a person or thing but it’s not really true, Daniel. Anyway, it would have served Blademistress Rhia well if she knew what she was up against. Maybe then she would have allowed her team to be with her.”

“What happened to her?” Elane asked reluctantly.

“In the end, she did face the monster, but she never returned. Not a trace of her appeared after the encounter, nor was she heard from again.”

“But that’s crazy!” Daniel blurted, “no one else saw her, not even once?”

“Such is the power of this terrible beast,” Master Tristain said in conclusion, “Its power so immense, it wipes all intruders clean. It’s why little to no one else dares to confront it; it would be like asking for your life to be over. Most believe this monster is a devious witch who transformed Blademistress Rhia into a shade of herself, in order to force her to overcome her arrogance. It explains why the only times the monster attacks are when trespassers invade its territory.”

Master Tristain threw his hands together into a great clap, relighting the torches and thrusting Kashan and the others from their dream-like state of imagination. Smirking, he concluded “But then again, it’s only a story, and a good one at that!”

The children groaned in disappointment. “Aww come on Master Tristain,” whined Kashan, “isn’t there more to it than that?”

“Yeah, and there wasn’t much to the storytelling part either!” added Daniel.

“Not much storytelling!?” shouted Master Tristain in shock, “that was the best improvised story I’ve ever made!”

“What about the part where she actually fights the monster?” inquires Elane.

“I can’t believe her own friends wouldn’t help her in her time of need!” frowned Danielle.

“I found tha’ th’ endin’ wunt much of...an endin’!” chimed in Kael’Thas.

“More story!” squealed Kahna.

“You youngin’s are all critics!” huffed the old man in disgust, folding his arms and sulking.

The heated commotion and upheaval was interrupted by a gradual clip-clopping of hooves and raised chattering. Outside the fort, something heavy grinding the earth came to a halt while the cries of mighty hooved animals, hästar, squeezed through the closed gate. A ruckus outside prompted a “easy, easy! Control the wagon!” request from rough, tired-sounding man. Sounds of footsteps inched closer.

“I bet I already know who it is, bu’ lemme check jus’ in case,” spoke Kael’Thas. He rose from his seat and left the hall, grinding an iron crank in the atrium to release the gate. The children looked at each other in curiosity, then to Master Tristain who had a blank expression on his face.

“Is that my daddy?” Asked Kashan, leaving his chair.

“We’ll let Frank go and see, let’s stay put for a bit”, forbade Master Tristain.

“It’s awright guys, th’ wagon is here!” called Kael’Thas, motioning from within a bare crevice of the gate.

“Wagon?” Kashan asked again.

“Yes, the wagon,” answered the sage. “Looks like your daddy is here, and on time it seems!”

“Alright!” he rushed down the hall, calling for his missed father.

“Daddy!” Yelled Kahna in excitement. She tried to run after her brother, but was picked up by Master Tristain. “It’ll be faster if I carry you, let’s go!”

The land around Fort Argon reached a honey, golden tint as the sun was beginning to set over the horizon; rescuing Elane and being immersed in a story took time away from the group as hours passed by. Outside were two wagons manned by several mighty-looking hästar, furry, hooved quadrupedals with large snouts and magnificent manes trailing down the head to the spine. Their large, beady eyes focused on the small strangers, but did not wish to attempt to come closer and rather welcomed the short break from traveling. The bowl-shaped roofs of cloth that covered the wagons were disturbed when several armored men clambered out the openings, ready to make the group’s acquaintance.

Posted Jun 14, '13 at 7:09pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

Uhm...Hello there.

So uhh...three things that happened this year.

1. Fall Semester
2. Spring Semester
3. A terrible case of dental bad luck that resulted in weeks of being served pureé and Orajel.

But I'm bouncing back! So hold unto your butts and sit there until I fire another one up shortly.

Posted Apr 6, '14 at 11:14pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,220 posts

Due to immediate protest, I'm shortening the chapters I produce into parts, then releasing them in regular intervals XD

~-*Chapter III: Trouble on the Highway*-~

Part 1/3

The doors of Fort Argon bust open as the group, led by an ecstatic Kashan rushed to greet their guests. Sure enough--to Master Tristan's prediction--several carriages pulled by Paddlefeet awaited them dwon the patchy road. Paddlefeet were stocky, scampering creatures with tough scale hides and droopy noses to sniff out scents.  Their names come from their four legs which sport wide feet and long, gnarled claws. Their side tusks are fastened to the axle shafts which pull the carriages. Leather rope guides the Paddlefeet by the carriage master. The party seemed to be under guard; every carriage was manned by at least two soldiers clad in bulky, iron armor. One particular man was what made Kashan rush towards the group.

He was quite aged, but still kept his full head of hair, which was unkempt and complimented with a pointed goatee. Compared to the soldiers, his armor looked to even overburden a large monster! The shoulderblades reached his head, and a long, flowing mantle covered his back, patterned in red and white. The golden shine on his armor reflected the glowing rays of the sun.

"Daddy!" Kashan called gleefully. Kahna appeared shortly after and mimicked her brother. The father, who wore a somber face as he was talking to a guard, quickly returned a hearty laugh as he met his two children.

"Kashan m'boy!" he greeted in a heavy voice. "And my precious Kahna! Hope I didn't leave you two for too long!" He picked up Kahna with one arm and ruffled Kashan's hair with the other. "You'll have to tell me everything you've been up to while we're riding back." he added.

"Yeah, yeah, we're coming, gimme a sec." Master Tristain, who seemed to be out of breath, was being carried by Kael'Thas, much to his disdain. The two twins were next to arrive. Daniel's longing face turned baleful once he realized not a trace of his parents was part of the boarding party. Danielle grew upset.

"Yer parents are waitin' fer us in th' twon down th' road," said Kael'Thas, sensing their distress. "Don' worry, we'll be seein' 'em soon."

"Okay!" said the twins in unison.

"An' as fer you", he added, "Yer another special case in itself." He motioned towards a nearby bush, in which a head belonging to Elane was poking out--she wasn't very used to a large group of people at once and was especially shy. Kael'Thas took her by the hand as she muttered an "O-okay."

"Well hello there Miss Elane!" called Kashan's father as he took a bow. "My apologies; you'll have to stay with us a little while longer before coming back home--it's from your father's wishes--hope you understand..." Elane seemed reluctant to cope.

"What's going on here, Balnades?" inquired Master Tristain as he jumped off Kael'Thas's shoulders. "We weren't meant to expect you for another week." He glanced every which way, spotting the group of soldiers and the Paddlefeet standing at attention. "I'll tell you," began Balnades, "but not right now." The young ones were still clinging to him. "I'd rather talk as men, if you wouldn't mind."

"You brought Paddlefeet with you, why not horses?"

"Like I said, Master Tristain, away from the children please. We don't have a lot of time on our hands, and I'd rather we get moving as soon as possible." the old man's eyes glared. Something was up and he didn't like it.

The boarding party loaded their belongings on the rear two carriages, making sure to return the children's goods from the fort as well. Master Tristain, Kael'Thas, and Balnades tried to maintain light conversation while the children poked and prodded their rides. " Glad to see everything went alright, Master Tristain," Kashan's father spoke up, "Err, everything was alright, right?"

"Course it was!" Master Tristain responded, loading a crate unto the back. "Well, there was that brief time where we were soiling our drawers when poor Elane fell off the waterfall..." he was cut off short by an exaggerated gasp as if someone accidentally breathed in water. "F-fell?" the commander exclaimed. "Miss Elane's safety is most of the reason why we're even swapping locations! I-I mean, if something were to happen--"

"Think of it as extra training for this oaf," he motioned to Kael'Thas, who blushed, "and an extra reason to keep us all on our toes." Elane herself spoke up when she placed her knapsack on top of the crates. "Um, I'm okay, I promise!" Balnades checked the carriages and made sure everything was loaded up. "Well, if you guys are sure, we better get underway. He motioned to the soldiers, who suddenly became alive and prepared the Paddlefeet for departure. He stepped beside the two caretakers and spoke quietly.

"I'll tell you as we're moving. This way, the carriages will be too noisy for the young ones to hear."

"Why th' extra security?" asked the dwarf.

"I'll explain as we ride. I will be riding up in front, but my carriage will take the twins. Kael'Thas will take the side and bring Kashan. I'll have his older brother Allos ride with him. The third will be the middle carriage. You don't mind watching over Elane and Kahna, do you Master Tristain?"

"Not at all, Balnades, he responded, "But if there's a reason for these precautions, I don't think an old man alone would do much."

"I'll have my eldest Gustav watch from outside, then. Daniel and Danielle, you two come with me, okay?" The twins clamored into his carriage, bringing their knapsacks with them. They poured their things onto the floor and began to play with their toys immediately, as to them, this was just another trip.

"Son, you're going with your brother over there," he pointed to him. "Allos is here?" he said surprised. "Yes I am!" called a familiar voice. Kashan rushed over immediately. His eyes were met by a slender teenager of 15 who sported a shaggy mess of brown hair. He was one of the few among the greeting party who wasn't armed in rigid armor, though it looked he like he could do with some protection. He yawned as he greeted Kashan, as if he slept on the way.

"It's good to see you again, brother!" Kashan welcomed. "I have to tell you what happened today!" Allos shooed him inside. "That's fine with me, but let's talk inside, okay?" However, another larger arm pulled him away. "Not without letting me talk to him a bit, right?" said a deeper voice. Kashan looked over to see Gustav, his eldest brother, and gave another shout. He jumped over and hugged his brother, a young, 24-year-old adult, who had the most uncanny resemblance to his father, sporting the same unkempt haircut and facial hair, except in a youthful chestnut color, the same as Kashan's hair color. He face was meatier, though, and didn't have as much bulk to his figure. His armor was in a shiny silver, while his expression was much more serious to his comparison.

"Whatcha been doing, Gustav?" Kashan asked. "I can't tell you what I've been doing." he said bluntly. "But maybe after this trip, I can tell you something. Time is wasting here, we have to go."

Gustav whistled, which signaled the carriages to move immediately. The day was now dimming to a sunset, and the wind picked up from the East to help the carriages on their journey. Once the leading wagon set off, so did the other four followed. The paddlefeet did not make the trip inside easy, as the carriages rattled and rumbled with each unsettling terrain the creatures had to cross. Inside the left side carriage, Kashan and Allos was looking at a couple toys, a map, and a felt-covered book, the latter two which meant little to the younger boy, but Allos was struggling to keep an interest in.

"Aww, don't worry about Gustav," reassured the older brother, " he just has a stick up his rear trying to organize the whole group with Dad."

"I guess", Kashan muttered. "But I don't care about that right now." Allos looked up from his map reading, which had red tracings around several landmarks. Kashan rolled over to the side trying to get situated with the. "I wanna know what daddy and Master Tristain wanted to talk about." "It's probably serious grownup stuff you wouldn't be interested in," he dismissed. "I'm glad the carriage is making a lot of noise; I get enough of that talk as it is, what with joining the Academy and all. Tactics this, War History that. I don't even plan on being a tactician, but I suppose Dad wants me to learn it all the same."

Kashan's short attention span proved Allos right, as he crawled to the side of the carriage and struggled to turn his ear to the outside, trying to listen amongst the turbulence. It came barely fruitful, as he could only hear a few words made out.

Outside, Master Tristain jumped from the top of his carriage to Balnades's area. He sat down beside him and he spoke immediately. "I told you about how Gustav, the king, and I ventured to Fort Karban to meet the rest of the world's leaders in order to discuss a conclusive treatise, right?"

"And how did that go?" Master Tristain inquired.

"It went off without a hitch. It took an hour of finalizing the finer details of territory distribution and disarmament, but almost all of us agreed to calling off our troops."

"Almost...all of us?"

"That's the problem we have. One nation never made it. Lytal, Rangleic,
Volkyyg, Suus, and Milan."

Master Tristain raised his eyebrows, stunned. "But that only leaves--"

"Kaivim." Balnades muttered in a dark tone.

"Well that's just great. More like 'was too proud to come'. That psychotic, harrying, mouth-breathing tro-"

"Master Tristain, please!"

"Oh! Right, sorry about that. I realize this is more difficult for you than it is for the rest of us here."

"There might instead be a problem with his party."

"Nevertheless?"

"Nevertheless. We guard our precious future and bring them to a safer area where we can figure out what's going on."

"It's good that there is a light at the end of this dark tunnel, though."

Balnades let out a brief laugh to remove his troubled look. "Ha! Yeah, we do have that to look forward to, at least. I'm actually surprised that the meeting went so perfectly. It just goes to show you that the rest of them are tired of this nonsense too."

Back inside the side carriage, Kashan hopped from the indented walls and back unto the floor. "Just as I thought, more grownup talk", bragged Allos. "I was hoping for something cool or interesting, but I guess it's just meetings and talking with other old men," pouted Kashan.
     A loud, rippling noise caused by the Paddlefeet forced the soldiers to stop the party abruptly. "****!" swore Kael'thas from the side. "What could it be tha's got th' fellas spooked?" The carriages came to an underpass that followed a curve hugging two sides of cliffs that opened upward into the mountainside. Balnades stood up and peered over. He could make out small blotches of darkened wood and stone that resembled the town they were attempting to cross into. The Paddlefeet, however, were sniffing upwards towards the cliff. The creatures' suspicions were correct, as the ground above them was being stamped on by multiple sets of feet. It was then that several bodies were leaned over to spot what they caught sight of. They were armed, gruff men who sneered and smirked at the party below. It was clear that what they found had a lot of value to them. A bearded man clad in furs with a large battleaxe in hand stepped forward to survey their prey. Balnades, in turn, looked upward to connect each others' eyes. As time passed, more and more of these warriors appeared to hungrily watch. There must have been four squads worth of men whole at the top.

Posted Apr 6, '14 at 11:18pm

StormWalker

StormWalker

3,764 posts

Why thank you Frank, I'm sure pang will appreciate it. In time.
And see, now you have backup against writer's block. IN CASE IT TAKES YOU ABOUT A YEAR TO PRODUCE THE NEXT SEGMENT

Reply to Paragon (Chapter IV, Page 3): Magic-City Hylatt

You must be logged in to post a reply!