ForumsThe TavernNo generic question or favourites threads

13 2851
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Since no one reads stickies.

And for the love of Thor, do not necro old ones.

• 13 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

For a lot of the AG users, I think the one phrase best suited to describe their state of mind about this would be: "Resistence is futile"... (o.O)

Don't let it get under your skin Devoidless!

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

But Voidy! Doesn't the very mention of stickies when you made one make it 100% counterproductive!? Why do you think I don't make Paragon stickied? Besides having one of the team slap my wrist and make me go in the corner of course. It's because the color black is darker and bolder than blue! Forget the pushpins that stand out. You see how they are pointy, right? I'm no psychology Ph.D, but anyone can see a pin and think "Pushpin pointy. Pointy things hurt. It is bad to go near push pin. I will avoid pushpins in the future". Our very method of reasoning is counterproductive. Why I bet you in 43 days some blundering oaf will create a favorite thread just to get on our nerves.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Why I bet you in 43 days

I'll bet you in 2.

For a lot of the AG users, I think the one phrase best suited to describe their state of mind about this would be: "Resistence is futile"... (o.O)

Nah. Well, maybe Invalid.

Since no one reads stickies.

And for the love of Thor, do not necro old ones.

If they didn't read the stickies, why would they read this? I'm not seeing your reasoning here.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Okay, I suppose I can see where you are coming from, since these discussions tend to be rather bland. But, I hardly see having one officially sanctioned thread as a solution. Because, well, people want to talk about more than one thing at a time.

And, while AG hasn't quite figured out how to make these thread types work yet, questions actually are a pretty good way to start a conversation.

So, maybe there is some sort of compromise that can be worked out? Because right now, I believe the majority of the threads on the first couple pages are locked. Which is kind of ridiculous. And the lockings seem to be rather arbitrary as well, for instance why was the thread "Who can cook" spared, which was both a necro and a question thread?

Obviously the goal of this is to stimulate more enticing conversation, but I don't see how stopping over half of the conversations going on will accomplish that.

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

If they didn't read the stickies, why would they read this? I'm not seeing your reasoning here.

His reasoning here is that he wrote the point in the title, because no one reads the body of the sticky.

Obviously the goal of this is to stimulate more enticing conversation, but I don't see how stopping over half of the conversations going on will accomplish that.

Force. Same reason the "Fave game of whatever" thread was made. It doesn't stop anything, but mods can then feel no obligation about telling people why their thread was locked, or for that matter, violently deleted.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

This is my favorite thread.

Uh oh..

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

people are going to keep asking questions.no matter what the mods do as punishments.people like to know pointless information about each other.as long as they keep the answers above 5-7 words killersup does not see what is so wrong about them.the mods might have made a temperary fix to the problem but it will arise again as do all problems

NMeade
NMeade
49 posts
Nomad

killersup does not see what is so wrong about them

I believe the problem is that threads are made for discussion, not for asking questions, unless in the S&S and newcomer's categories. Armor Games is not like Yahoo Answers.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Effectiveness of this thread preventing favorite threads: 39 hours.

Well, there's the most recent "Favorite" thread. In the end, I still don't see what good this thread will do.

His reasoning here is that he wrote the point in the title, because no one reads the body of the sticky.

If nobody reads the sticky, why would they even read the title of the thread? For all intents and purposes, it's just another line of words that will be ignored, while anyone who isn't going to make a favorite thread anyways will see it.

I believe the problem is that threads are made for discussion, not for asking questions, unless in the S&S and newcomer's categories. Armor Games is not like Yahoo Answers.

Perhaps in the future a poll/opinion sub-forum which does not provide points can be made which would be where these favorite threads go? Of course, spam responses would still be a no-no, just like in the forum games. The benefit would be that the Tavern wouldn't have the entire first two pages be "What is your favorite -insert-.
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

A question popped up after reading all the reply-posts at the OP...

"Doesn't this kill the whole activity of the forae in the future?"

Sure, I get that the whole task being thrown at you being a moderator will become tiresome after a while, since every user wants to make a "What's your favorite ..." thread for themselves... but if this is not allowed anymore, the whole point of having an active community is blugeoned in my opinion. Not a good future for ArmorGames if you ask me! (o.O)

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

And, while AG hasn't quite figured out how to make these thread types work yet, questions actually are a pretty good way to start a conversation.

Notice how some are spared, for sound reasons. I mentioned that in my other sticky. If you read it, you would of known that.

And the lockings seem to be rather arbitrary as well, for instance why was the thread "Who can cook" spared, which was both a necro and a question thread?

There is a difference between necro and revive. Also, read the above quote response.

Sure, I get that the whole task being thrown at you being a moderator will become tiresome after a while, since every user wants to make a "What's your favorite ..." thread for themselves... but if this is not allowed anymore, the whole point of having an active community is blugeoned in my opinion. Not a good future for ArmorGames if you ask me! (o.O)

And this is coming from the person who either actively necro'd or contributed to the asinine 'discussions' on threads in question.
As as side note, I've very sorry for you and everyone else who believes a myriad of pointless threads is the lifeblood of the entire community.

I've done this sort of thing before across the forums.
Do people like me for it? No.
Do I really care if I am hated for it? No.
Do the forums I've intervened in end up better for it all? Yes.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Notice how some are spared, for sound reasons. I mentioned that in my other sticky. If you read it, you would of known that.

I did read your other sticky. That is why I directly referred to it. I was asking for clarification on why some threads are spared. You seem to decide whether to lock a thread or not depending on how much (or how high in quality) conversation it starts. But many of these threads are locked before they even reach one page.

Usually, by the time I even see these threads, they are already locked. So I don't even have a chance to contribute to the conversation. While the conversation potential is surely related to the quality of the opening post/topic, it is probably more determined by the quality of posters in the thread.

Some of these threads could probably be saved by a couple of intriguing posts, but they never even last long enough for that to be possible.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

You mean all the threads that were necro's or duplicates, which makes up roughly 90% of all the locked thread in the first two pages? And the rest that were "What's your favourite...?" threads which had -no- actual discussion in them?

Yeah, I thought so.

Showing 1-13 of 13