ForumsThe TavernWhat global warming has taken away from you

40 6421
Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

A lot of people hate global warming(it's true) and some people are like, no big deal, it's not like we're gonna die. WELL IT'S A BIG DEAL!! Once all the ice melts, we sink and die! But enough about that and lets talk about what global warming took away from us that's really sad.

Global warming took away nature's ice caps. Poor polar bears

• 40 Replies
Hammer135
Hammer135
4 posts
Peasant

[quote]A single sinking country is bad, but I don't think that alone will screw the world. However, we cannot ignore the global warming situation since the water level could rise by several feet or more.

its actually not only one country at risk but over 100 island, mostly in the Caribbean and the pacific ocean. Additionally it is not only the countries them selves or the direct loss of land mass that is the problem but also secondary issues such as where refugees from these area will go and what stresses this will place on the already large number of environmental refugees (140-160 million)

Ghost2486
Ghost2486
29 posts
Nomad

[quoteFlag
Okay,I'm looking at this and I say, "Why is this on the tavern? I don't want this place to be turned into a debate forum."[/quote]

THANK YOU for a second there I thought I would half to be that guy who's like "hey you guys ummm I don't think...." but ya so now im not but I have total respect for you dude and just forget theses guys im with ya on this....

Ghost2486
Ghost2486
29 posts
Nomad

[quoteFlag
Okay,I'm looking at this and I say, "Why is this on the tavern? I don't want this place to be turned into a debate forum."

THANK YOU for a second there I thought I would half to be that guy who's like "hey you guys ummm I don't think...." but ya so now im not but I have total respect for you dude and just forget theses guys im with ya on this....

Ghost2486
Ghost2486
29 posts
Nomad

[quoteOkay,I'm looking at this and I say, "Why is this on the tavern? I don't want this place to be turned into a debate forum."

THANK YOU for a second there I thought I would half to be that guy who's like "hey you guys ummm I don't think...." but ya so now im not but I have total respect for you dude and just forget theses guys im with ya on this....[/quote]
Redo

Ghost2486
Ghost2486
29 posts
Nomad

So sorry total lag idk how but ya....

kitty25
kitty25
107 posts
Nomad

global warming is kinda taking everything away if u think bout it for a while, i mean if u live in the north its taking away snow n driving away some animals people hunt for to survive, but if u live in the south it just makes it hotter n for some like elderly people to have strokes more often or even middle aged n younger people can have heat strokes, but with global warming just think bout it

Pluse
Pluse
46 posts
Shepherd

Well as you put it "Global Warming" is a natural thing this happens every few thousand years. Were the plant gets warm (vary hot) before an ice age, sadly were do up for one.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

The only thing global warming has taken from me is my interest in global warming.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

The problem is, although effects from global warming are occurring - they're not dramatically changing or lives personally yet.

Not ours yet. But in Alaska there are a lot of Inuit villages built on previous permafrost that are already having real trouble, many think of relocating, and I've seen a reportage on TV that showed the coast where whole parts of the land have been sliding into the water, sometimes carrying half of a house at the border of the village with it. The lacking pack-ice and the resulting surplus of waves are contributing to erosion.

So it depends on who you speak of. Humanity is already experiencing lots of trouble because of climate change, we've already been taken our tranquility away.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,781 posts
Chamberlain

It's existence is not really debatable at this point.

well yes and no there shouldn't be a debate but it's not real in fact my science book showed the chart that the global warming people use and it has gone up allot until they show that they basicly zoomed in a bunch and that the temperature over like the last 40 or so years has gone up either 0.1 degree fierinhiet or 1.0 degrees as an average temperature so unless you're saying that 1 degree should be considered a problem then there's nothing left to discuss on the matter
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,781 posts
Chamberlain

The only thing global warming has taken from me is my interest in global warming.

i didn't even see that before, you're awesome for that
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

well yes and no there shouldn't be a debate but it's not real in fact my science book showed the chart that the global warming people use and it has gone up allot until they show that they basicly zoomed in a bunch and that the temperature over like the last 40 or so years has gone up either 0.1 degree fierinhiet or 1.0 degrees as an average temperature so unless you're saying that 1 degree should be considered a problem then there's nothing left to discuss on the matter

"Hansen et al. 2006

Hansen, J., Mki. Sato, R. Ruedy, K. Lo, D.W. Lea, and M. Medina-Elizade, 2006: Global temperature change. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., 103, 14288-14293, doi:10.1073/pnas.0606291103.

Global surface temperature has increased â0.2°C per decade in the past 30 years, similar to the warming rate predicted in the 1980s in initial global climate model simulations with transient greenhouse gas changes. Warming is larger in the Western Equatorial Pacific than in the Eastern Equatorial Pacific over the past century, and we suggest that the increased West-East temperature gradient may have increased the likelihood of strong El Niños, such as those of 1983 and 1998. Comparison of measured sea surface temperatures in the Western Pacific with paleoclimate data suggests that this critical ocean region, and probably the planet as a whole, is approximately as warm now as at the Holocene maximum and within â1°C of the maximum temperature of the past million years. We conclude that global warming of more than â1°C, relative to 2000, will constitute "dangerous" climate change as judged from likely effects on sea level and extermination of species."

Source

Anyway it is real, the arctic is already experiencing the consequences, and I'm not even talking about polar bears and walruses; I'm talking about people. Especially the ones from that TV reportage, I found it again; it's the town of Shishmaref
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.greendaily.com/media/2008/01/1-global-warming-sea-levels-550.jpg
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,781 posts
Chamberlain

Once all the ice melts, we sink and die!

really you really think that let me tell you something, when water freezes it expands and yes ice floats but 90 percent of the icebergs are underwater so if the icebergs melted then the ocean level would go down not up and drown everyone
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

really you really think that let me tell you something, when water freezes it expands and yes ice floats but 90 percent of the icebergs are underwater so if the icebergs melted then the ocean level would go down not up and drown everyone

If you only consider icebergs, I think you're right.

However, they're not the big problem; it's actually the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets, covering 80% of the surface of Greenland and 98% of the surface of Antarctica, who apparently constitute the real big water stocks. They say the melting of the West Antarctic ice sheet would raise sea levels by 5-6m.

Source

What about the Hansen et al. paper I showed you the abstract of? They say global surface temperatures have raised by 0.6 in 30years, and a change of 1 degree Celsius does indeed constitute 'dangerous ' climate change. That's along what your book said, right?
mattduggan13
mattduggan13
1,795 posts
Nomad

Global warming took away snow, snowboarding, and basically winter itself up here in Connecticut.

Showing 16-30 of 40