ForumsWEPRKONY 2012

86 28763
JohnGarell
JohnGarell
1,752 posts
Peasant

I was dissapointed when I saw that no one posted this before me.

KONY 2012

As said in Description:

KONY 2012 is a film and campaign by Invisible Children that aims to make Joseph Kony famous, not to celebrate him, but to raise support for his arrest and set a precedent for international justice.

Joseph Kony have done bad things for over 20 years, but I think you didn't know about him.
Whatch the movie for more information.

This is probably the most important thing I've ever heard of.

• 86 Replies
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Doesn't this guy want to do something extraordinary on 4/20?

unfortunately, the world isn't as "sunshine and unicorns" as IC wants us to believe. if anything, you will forget about all of this before 4/20. also, there is no reason to. the video itself has gone viral, and soon the world will know of him.

sure, I wasn't as affected by this video as the guy wants me to (not even the little kid stirred my emotions, sorry.), but that doesn't mean that he hasn't spread the message. he's trying to get actual A-listers to spread the word. if he convinces even one, then soon the rest will follow, then so will the B-listers to try and gain more fame. this will cause the whole world to follow them, which will get him all the followers he needs. he really doesn't need to start with regular people, he just needs to target famous people, and then he will have all of the thralls he needs.

-Blade
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

It's not exerting pressure because all he did is issue an opinion. Posting something on FB isn't exerting pressure.

Okay, this raises a good question: what is &quotressure"? Where does it come from, and how can it be used effectively? Your statement is an obvious overgeneralization, since saying "'all' he did is issue an opinion" assumes many things. Clearly, if he was just spouting off opinions into the mass of typical facebook people, then yes there is little pressure being exerted.

But, if he was issuing his opinion to, say, government officials as well (which, as far as you know, he could be doing) would that change anything? If people actually start talking to politicians, will that change anything? I don't think this has an obvious answer, and is crucial to determining the effectiveness of mass appeal campaigns such as this one. So, to make my question more relevant, I'll restate it a little (though feel free to answer the previous questions as well):

How can an individual with only the power that comes from being a cititizen of a country, influence events to the extent that Kony 2012 is attempting to do?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

But, if he was issuing his opinion to, say, government officials as well (which, as far as you know, he could be doing) would that change anything?

Was he? Did he? All you said, was he stated an opinion, so naturally I assumed he said it to you, or to his friends. Unless you're telling me that he told it to a government official. So, sorry if I assumed erroneously, if indeed he did.

what is &quotressure"? Where does it come from, and how can it be used effectively? Your statement is an obvious overgeneralization, since saying "'all' he did is issue an opinion" assumes many things. Clearly, if he was just spouting off opinions into the mass of typical facebook people, then yes there is little pressure being exerted.

What is pressuring? Pressuring to me is somewhat like lobbying, or when it actually entails taking action directly to the government, say in a protest or a march. Pressuring to me, isn't stating an opinion.

obvious overgeneralization
'

Overgeneralization is the use of small and/or non-representative samples of real data to make an inference that is incorrect. What I did was assume, not overgeneralize.

How can an individual with only the power that comes from being a cititizen of a country, influence events to the extent that Kony 2012 is attempting to do?

They can't.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I've been following a few links starting with aknerds link to criticism (very interesting), and found this interesting passage:

"Government officials in the Central Africa Republic have expressed what appears to be a commonly-held belief that the UPDF does not want to end the threat of the LRA, as this would end US aid to it for LRA operations. At both government and local levels, a worrying conviction seems to have been formed, which holds that chasing the LRA is a pretext for Uganda to maintain an invading force in CAR indefinitely. Such views have been fueled by claims that former LRA combatants are quickly integrated into UPDF units once captured, without proper demobilisation and reintegration processes."
The Observer article

I have heard and read many criticism saying that the problem is much more complex than in the simplistic viral video, and now I think I start to understand why...

Joe96
Joe96
2,233 posts
Peasant

I watched the whole thing and was surprised at how little background they gave on Kony. All the viewer hears are things about what he has done and his name. For all I know he could be made up (I don't believe he is, but other than a few pictures, there is not much that really shows who he is to make me dislike him. However, I strongly disapprove what people accuse him of, which I do believe happens). The video, while educational, did seem a little fishy. I don't know why, but I honestly can't form a very strong opinion, because I simply do not know enough about this issue. I certainly wish the best to the poor people of Uganda, but like I have repeatedly said before, I'm not going to throw my two cents into this issue until I know more than a guy named Kony in Uganda is accused of genocide.

BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

OH GOSH EXTREMELY LONG COMMENTS

I haven't donated because I heard that the invisible children guy said he had enough money on the news to help the children.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

For all I know he could be made up (I don't believe he is, but other than a few pictures, there is not much that really shows who he is to make me dislike him. However, I strongly disapprove what people accuse him of, which I do believe happens).

There are far more sources out there that detail about the LRA and Kony. You just have to look, he isn't a made up bogeyman.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Weeelllllllll I totally didn't read half of these long comments. All I really see is that Nicho doesn't think the video is worthy anything, and Santi doesn't believe he's real, and other people don't know what to think.

Well. I'm participating in 4/20. The purpose of gaining the fame and shizz is to keep pressure on getting the gov't to keep the military dudes there. If it fades out, like some people think it will, then we withdraw our help. I didn't get super into it, and I doubt I really will. But I will try to spread the name of Kony. Most people have already heard of him. I'll just stick up some posters and hope that someone is emotionally stirred enough to do more about it.
Like I said, I didn't get super into it, but I think maybe other people, who actually have power to do something, will. There isn't much we CAN do to help, but spreading the word is just all that some can do.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Well. I'm participating in 4/20. The purpose of gaining the fame and shizz is to keep pressure on getting the gov't to keep the military dudes there. If it fades out, like some people think it will, then we withdraw our help. I didn't get super into it, and I doubt I really will. But I will try to spread the name of Kony. Most people have already heard of him. I'll just stick up some posters and hope that someone is emotionally stirred enough to do more about it.

1. There's no need to use more resources looking for a man who is losing more and more influence every year.

2. Invisible Children support arming the Ugandan army with weapons as well as giving them special training. The Ugandan army has been known to murder and **** innocent people.

3. Everyone talks about how the US needs to stop getting involved in the rest of the world's business; Invisible Children is basically calling for the US to get involved in the rest of the world's business.

This last point is the weakest, but we need to whether it's okay for the US to police the world, or whether it's wrong.
omarzocco
omarzocco
280 posts
Nomad

Kony is an idiot I saw this video like a month ago about Kony taking kids and making them fight his wars practically . I almost wanna go kill him myself but I don't wanna die like the funny and nice guy that got caught in the explosion we should post on our about sections like kill Kony or a hole paragraph about it kill Kony kill Kony kill Kony

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

@omarzocco Your lack of punctuation drives me insane, I didn't understand a single word of what you said.

3. Everyone talks about how the US needs to stop getting involved in the rest of the world's business; Invisible Children is basically calling for the US to get involved in the rest of the world's business.

Well, it should. Why would, or better should, the US government give 2 ****s about something that's happening half the globe away? Sure, Kony needs to be stopped, but he's losing the influence he had 10-20 years ago. He may even be dead for all we know.
michael96412
michael96412
85 posts
Farmer

I have seen this video. Much more worse things are happening worldwide. USA have discovered that there is a lot of oil in Uganda thus are pretending like they care, so they can take the oil. Kony is becoming more of a fashion trend and i think it should be stopped because its Uganda governments fault for signing a peace treaty with Kony. Let Uganda solve this on there own.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

@mertturan102 Did you ever look at the thread and topic at hand and all the discussions before posting? Stupid question, of course you didn't.

If you don't read through the majority or all comments, don't comment. Simple.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

kony maybe is the leader but did he all this by himself? or did his followers do the most work?

will it realy change when you got this 1 man? or will it just be another osama.

Cherezig
Cherezig
58 posts
Nomad

"Kony is nowhere near the top of the concerns for us Ugandans. If you go to Gulu, where the worst of his atrocities were committed, it's a different town. It's thriving, growing, people are trying to put their lives together. Kony is a sore in our history. We are not defined by him or Idi Amin

What will a $30 kit do? Did I ask you to sell my story for an action kit to make uninformed college students feel good?"

This quote and the previous quote are from a Ugandan, Teddy Ruge, who runs Project Diaspora.

Showing 31-45 of 86