ForumsThe TavernA castaway's wish...

40 7621
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I know this thread has already been made before, but seeing as it has probably died or is been buried deep into the realms of the Tavern forum, I decided to make a new one! =)

http://heidibay.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/tropical-island.png

What if... you were a castaway on a tropical island... your ship has sunk near a tropical island in the middle of nowhere and you won't be rescued for several decades, because nobody misses you and will come look for you...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/04/castawat_help.jpg

...and here comes the fun part! You can have 3 things that can/will wash upon shore at your island? Anything is allowed (except for any explicit stuff of course!), but it's a maximum of 3 things...

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1696/04castaway.png

...so, share with us what would those 3 items will be!

http://www.toonpool.com/user/997/files/desert_isle_castaway_tom_hanks_237195.jpg

And to sum things up... these are the ground rules:

# Name the 3 items of tour choice;
# Elaborate on why you would want those particular items;
# And what would you do with them?

I'm wondering and looking forward to what the answers will be! =)

• 40 Replies
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

[/i]I saw the Mythbusters where they are on an island with only duct tape. They were able to find water, food, make shelter and do all the things to survive with only duct tape and what the island had to offer.

Just a BB code help, you have to put whatever you want the text to be at the end, too. Not just the front.
d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Dude, I'm 13. I don't just "go out with girls".

Oh you're 13? Please tell me all about your smooth romantic lifestyle where you don't just "go out with girls". You must certainly be an experienced player of the game called "Love".
PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,708 posts
Nomad

1. My girlfriends
2. An unlimited supply of sustaining materials (food, water)
3. An air-comditioned condo w/ electricity, hot and cold running water, a 36" flatscreen, a sauna, and 10 bedrooms.

1.) Girlfriends are naturally considered items...
2.) Unlimited supply of sustaining materials eh... I suppose the three items limit allows an unlimited supply of sustaining materials
3.) Seems like an air conditioned condo with all that stuff would have more than three items you know
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

@MrDayC
...still waiting...
The trunk full of clothes are for myself and not to exploit the animals. ;-)
The materials could be recycled to fashion shelter, fashion shelter lol, and be remade for clothes. What can I say, I like to sew.

What I would wish for (the revised list) would be:
a fresh water source,
fire starter sticks &
vegetable seeds to start a garden

Otherwise, back to the original list. Depending on the type of forage on the island I could make my own cutting tool, sewing needle and hair comb from bone using a sharp rock, like lava rock. As long as I can find flint I can make a fire.

If there's bamboo on the island I could make a nice shelter with a table, chair and a bed. NTM a fishing pole that's still green for good play. Braiding the threads off of the clothes would make decent fishing line. Any shiny buttons from the clothes would make great lures.

Now if the ship is salvageable I would work on building a new or, repairing the inflatable raft and getting myself off of the island.

Waiting decades for rescue would not be a pleasant option for me since I've grown quite attached to indoor plumbing, air conditioning and ice cubes.

emochick324
emochick324
3,042 posts
Nomad

animals,animals,food,water,animals,clothes,animals,wolves,animals...

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

animals,animals,food,water,animals,clothes,animals,wolves,animals...

You animal! lol
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

Glad to see this thread has some life in it! And wonderful entries everyone, very diverse and sometimes food for thought as I don't see how you can have gallons and gallons of fuel without a tank to hold it in?! LOL XD

@ wajor59 : Say... wouldn't you need some something to sow those clothes with then? A machine is out of the question, as ou don't have any electricity, so I'm guessing a sowing set might be needed as well? Or would you make one yourself by means of making rope and a needle from domestic materials on the island?

wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Or would you make one yourself by means of making rope and a needle from domestic materials on the island? ;
)

I erased the small wall I wrote about how I would make my own sewing needle from the bones of the fish I would catch with the hand braided thread from sacrificed clothing.
Otherwise, back to the original list. Depending on the type of forage on the island I could make my own cutting tool, sewing needle and hair comb from bone using a sharp rock, like lava rock. As long as I can find flint I can make a fire.

I didn't think you would care to read my rambling so I condensed it. =)
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,747 posts
King

I erased the small wall I wrote about how I would make my own sewing needle from the bones of the fish I would catch with the hand braided thread from sacrificed clothing.

And with that, I stand corrected... *blush*

I didn't think you would care to read my rambling so I condensed it. =)

Okayokayokayokayokay... agreed, I have little time right now, so my attention span is defeated quickly... but you're right! I overlooked the fact you already elaborated that part! Again... I stand corrected! =P

But to answer the question asked... let's assume the schip is salvagable to some extend, say... it's partly sunken on a reef a few miles offshore... better? =)

Now, let's see what you come up with! =)
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

let's assume the schip is salvagable to some extend, say... it's partly sunken on a reef a few miles offshore... better? =)

Aargh, that be much better, Cap'n DayCee!

I would have to explore the ship the first day before any storms would totally sink her or before I decide to scuttle her. The only reasons I would deliberately sink it would be to avoid flying debris should a storm blow up. Another, is to protect it from same future storms.

I don't know how I would make a bilge pump by hand but I understand the logic behind the Archimedes Screw. If I could find a pair of tin snips, a metal cylinder, two different sizes of metal pipe, a long enough sheet of aluminum and a roll of duct tape on the ship, then it may just work. This would be extremely handy if I had to dig my own fresh water well, as well. ;D

I may have a solid chance of survival from the elements depending on the quality of the plunder. My chances only increase if the ship's radio, or the GPS still works. I would be able to work harder if water and food for at least three days is available from the ship. The only real concern I may have would be who or what might be inhabiting the island. There's no guarantee that they would be friendly or tamable. I might be able to fashion a weapon of sorts say, a bow and arrows for instance in case no firearms with dry ammo are found.

Well, I think this is a good enough start, for now. I might think up some more tactics for survival later, mates.
Showing 31-40 of 40