ForumsWEPRThe sun dies

24 7650
Cheeseman298
Cheeseman298
118 posts
Nomad

I know, this will not happen for billions of years. But ive
heard that when it does it will burn mercury, venus, and earth to a crisp. mars will turn much like venus, and the other planets will warm up as well.

Discuss.

• 24 Replies
necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@skullzero if our planet reached a time of peril in which we needed to leave we would actually need to head towards the nearest star (OK second closest counting "Proxima Centauri&quot which would be Alpha Centauri A. To supernova a star needs to be about 10-20x larger than the sun while on the main sequence, Alpha Centauri is 1.5x larger. The nearby star that may supernova (large enough to possibly hypernova) you a referring to is Eta Carina which is 150x larger than our sun. If we were incredibly unlucky, its rotational axis would change and hit us with a gamma ray burst as it becomes a black hole.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Well, I don't know too much about space science, but I do know this...

@skullzero - Yes, our galaxy is going to collide with another, but that is not collinding as in two cars crashing. Earth will not come close to another planet or sun. The galaxies will just move through each other. This may be the end if their are aliens with super weapons...or giant snails, but that is besides the point. Also, that isn't going to happen for a long, long, time....

Eventually humans will need to leave Earth, becuase it will become too overpopulated, not because of a dying sun. Yes, the sun will expand and destroy venus and mercury, but that will take time.

Humans need to make friends with some other species of life, when you think about it, an extra-terrestrial meeting could happen at anypoint. A fleet of alien star ships could easily materialise in Earths orbit in an instant....like right....NOW...nope, didn't happen!

In my opinion, mixing science with religion, we just need to trust in God. He has planned the history and future of all of us, and the entire universe. God wouldn't let his creations perish.

KingRyan

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@kingryan-
In 3 billion years or so we might collide with the Andromeda galaxy. And its possible to make friends with the aliens because we speak the same language, sure... besides they might just be a swarm of robots living long after their biological creators.
"He has planned the history and future of all of us, and the entire universe." That stinks, no free will, an absolute dictatorship.
"God wouldn't let his creations perish." First, have you seen the fossil record- 99.99% of all species have gone extinct. Second, if we meet with the aliens, which "creation" would he choose to let live.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

by the time the sun dies we would've already been dead because the sun would grow so much it would collide with us

Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

@Graham

Even if humanity survives for that long, which I doubt if we treat the Earth the way we are now for long, the temperatures on Earth will be far too hot for living creatures to adapt to. The sun's energy output is gradually increasing, and that is causing the temperatures on Earth to rise. In less than one billion years, the temperatures on our lovely pearl will rise to a point where life simply cannot exist.

So, unless we inhabit other planets in the near future, we will not watch our sun die and point and laugh

-Skyla <3

StrategyGamble
StrategyGamble
129 posts
Nomad

yeah..the sun is in half of its life..when it explodes, we all will burn on our earth so we must find out way to colonize other solar systems and planets

The_Medic16
The_Medic16
18 posts
Nomad

To Skyla

The suns temprature doesnt gradually increase otherwise threre would be no life on earth to begin with and the sun is 4.6 billion years old so we have about 5.4 billion years to get out of here

UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

I like to refer to this as the "Supernova Myth." Though it isn't a myth, I just refer to it as such, because there are so many different opinions on it. I believe it will happen, and, though I can't say how long it may be until it does, when it does happen, I won't be around to see it.

Sharkbate
Sharkbate
372 posts
Peasant

All i know is that all stars go into a nova or super nova once they die out.The bigger and brighter they are the faster that will happen.The sun will go into a supernova a possible new star will form but this isent a issue becuase that wont happen for billions of years.

Showing 16-24 of 24