Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

General NBA Discussion

Posted Dec 17, '12 at 9:11am

pickpocket

pickpocket

3,318 posts

Knicks did it twice

Grizzlies beat them once, but only played them once. That was the start of the downfall of the Heat.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 12:32am

vinster132

vinster132

5,485 posts

Are the Lakers ready to bounce back after winning 3 in a row? Despite 2 of them being non-contending teams. I think this might build their confidence a little. They have the Warriors next. That should be a good game.

Posted Dec 22, '12 at 1:35am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Yeah, those three games... The two wins you're referring to weren't just against any non-contending team. They were against arguably the worst teams in the NBA right now. Wizards have the worst record; Bobcats are on a 13 game losing streak. And they barely scraped by. 76ers aren't exactly an elite team either.

They will have a chance to prove themselves in the next three weeks. Warriors, Knicks, Thunder, Spurs, Clippers...

Posted Dec 25, '12 at 11:46pm

vinster132

vinster132

5,485 posts

So far the Lakers have beaten the Warriors and Knicks. They still need to continue the streak. Also, today the Heat beat the Thunder. 5 technical fouls called. And Westbrook showing some emotions at the end.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 12:37am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

Yeah, Lakers have picked up some momentum, and Steve Nash has definitely been a key contributor. The question is whether or not this type of play is sustainable through the 82-game grind. Many key players are on the wrong side of 30.

Meanwhile, Houston is also becoming a legitimate threat. McHale has figured out how to maximize Lin and Harden's strengths, and it's showing in the box score. Lin has been posting Linsanity numbers in the past few games, and they've won against some pretty good teams (Knicks, Grizzlies, Bulls). Their starting center, Omar Asik, is a definite candidate for Most Improved Player. He's averaging a solid double-double.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 12:07pm

vinster132

vinster132

5,485 posts

The Lakers problem is not offense. It's their defense. With Nash aging, he won't be able to guard premier point guards like Russel Westbrook, Derrick Rose, etc.But their inside defense should be good since Gasol and Howard are there.

Nobody expected for Omar Asik to put up all these numbers. All five starters average more than 10 points. They also have a decent bench (Marcus Morris, Toney Douglas, and Carlos Delfino.)

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 4:48pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

^ Interestingly though, Omer Asik signed a $25.1 million, 3-year contract with the Rockets. For someone who barely got any playing time last season, that sure is a lot of money. They must've saw some potential in him. I mean, he was averaging 5.3 rebounds in only 15 minutes. I've seen him play a few times this season, and he definitely gobbles up the rebounds. His defense is pretty solid as well. It'll really come down to his offensive development. From what I've seen, he's mainly a lay-the-ball-in-if-open kind of big man, but if he can develop a nice mid-range shot and some post moves, the Rockets will be a force to reckon with.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 7:38pm

vinster132

vinster132

5,485 posts

The question is, will the Rockets be able to hold their ground and contend come playoff time? They're still a very young team. Only Harden is the only one with some playoff experience.

In other news, Nets fire Avery Johnson.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 11:35pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

435 posts

A lot of people are saying D-Will is the perpetrator. Whether he is or not, he's regressed. He used to be one of the best point guards in the league, but a combination of his perplexing diminishing ability and the influx of elite point guards in recent years has left him a shell of his former self. Maybe he was just a system player, but he wasn't worth that max deal. Unless they can find a coach who can accommodate D-Will (assuming he is a system player), the Nets are nothing more than a low-seeded playoff team at best. Otherwise, changing coaches isn't going to fix the root of the problem.

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 1:59am

omarzoco

omarzoco

16 posts

Did the Heat Vs Thunder game already happen ? if it did could someone post the score it sounded like a great game. I don't really watch basketball but when I watched it in the Olympics the US was da bomb is wasn't even fun to watch lol.

Reply to General NBA Discussion

You must be logged in to post a reply!