Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Twiction Contest -- The Greatest Story Ever Told (page 11, Due September 9)

Posted Jul 14, '12 at 10:11pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,785 posts

As her cold lips meet mine under the blackened night, I feel my wrecked soul begin to open yet again as if it be a fantasy that I am to love

Posted Jul 16, '12 at 12:42am

Zahz

Zahz

48 posts

His crimson, sanguine blood coursed onto the obsidian velvet from the twisted tortured fetter he called a soul.

Cause only posers use 140.

Posted Jul 18, '12 at 12:25am

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

*Tears and raindrops stain his sword; no sorcery can fix this tragedy. The trees weep with him, his thoughts echoing across his surroundings.

Posted Jul 18, '12 at 3:06pm

aknerd

aknerd

1,275 posts

She slides the rope over her thick slimy neck. With one last look at the piled bodies of those meddling kids, she closes her eyes and falls.

Posted Jul 18, '12 at 7:35pm

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

Pale skin meets a dark sinister shadow. Souls of black and white touch as the balance of right and wrong meet as one. Night dawns tonight...

I don't even anything...

Posted Jul 19, '12 at 7:23pm

CheapCheep

CheapCheep

170 posts

Last day!!!

Posted Jul 20, '12 at 4:44am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Alright *cracks neck* let's do this thing. And no, Invisible Ninja Girl, I do not have a tumblr. Tumblr is too mainstream for me.

The Dusk Award: Killer? WHAT'S UP!? Here's the entry: "As her cold lips meet mine under the blackened night, I feel my wrecked soul begin to open yet again as if it be a fantasy that I am to love"

Alright, so one of the things I suggested as an inspiration was Twilight. So what does Killersup do? He writes about a vampire in love with a human. Awesome. I seem to remember more entries dealing with love before I started judging, but I think only Killersup's really deals with the theme of romantic love. I like how complex the last clause is. It actually took me a bit to get, but I really like the double meaning of "fantasy that I am to love". I like how this entry is primarily one of simple romance with sexy vampires, but its ending hints at darker possibilities. Gothic fantasy right there. Besides, I like romance. Well darn, I meant to compare it to other people's stuff but this genre was only really explored by Killersup.

The Lurking Shadow Award: The Danish Sensation comes in for another placing entry. Here it is: "He rose, shaking off the dirt and stones off his stitched, artificial body, and for the first time he could see the sun rise. He smiled."

Cool. One thing I liked about this entry is that Cen's only real guidance was "like, vampires, werewolves and stuff" and he proceeded to be like "Okay. Lemme just write about this frankensteiny sorta guy." And guys, it's time to stop all the silliness and think about something: If Frankensteiny dudes weren't mentioned in the theme description, how did Cen know they would fly?

Cenere knows what's up, guys. That's just it. Cen isn't merely pawwing idly at the concept of Gothic Fantasy. He knows what gothic fantasy is like. Sewn together lab monsters are totally part of gothic fantasy. Frankenstein itself might even qualify as a work of gothic fantasy. Cenere does a great job of showing a lot in this entry. We can assume that this creature escaped from somewhere, violently, because of he debris. Cenere doesn't mention this, he just shows it.

But then, he describes the monstrous body of the creature. Then he describes it viewing what is to us a normal thing but to this creature has greater and darker implications. Then he smiles. This smile continues the theme of contrasting light and dark and creating a more sinister version of an everyday thing. It gains its sinister edge not only because of the dark implications of the first view of the sun, but also because of the previous associations of the creature's body and some scariness.

That's gothic fantasy. Not the only way to do it, sure, but it is definitely a good one. You don't even need evil monsters. I personally imagine the meat monster in Cen's issue as more of a victim, but it doesn't really matter. The way sinister elements are added to the story don't really depend on it.

Of all the entries, I feel like Cen's got the theme the best. But I feel like evveryone did a really good job with this theme. I've seen a lot of good stuff all around, but just casually, I think we do best with the "genre" themes, such as gothic fantasy and sci fi. I think those had the strongest pools of entries. Not that this means I'll only use themes like that from now on. I still want to use some general themes (i.e. "nature" "Internet") and revisit historical fiction. Beyond that, I want to do an exercise in form, which brings me to the next theme, which is- wait, we still have two more entries to look at.

The Creature of the Night Award: The surprise entrant! The man with a plan! That dude from the haiku contest! Acmed! "Pale skin meets a dark sinister shadow. Souls of black and white touch as the balance of right and wrong meet as one. Night dawns tonight..." Alright, this entry was one of what I mentally labeled the "dark entries" which was unsurprisingly most of them. Now, that isn't bad. It very obviously fits with the theme. Heck, one of the "dark" entries won, so don't be down on them. Acmed distinguished himself from the others by employing very strong contrasts between light and dark throughout. It's very ambiguous whether the light is being victimized or coming to some sort of peaceful compromise with the dark. "Night dawns tonight" is also an uncomfortably cool line. If it was on a movie poster (and it could be) I would laugh at it when my friends were around and repeat it to myself when no one could hear me to sound cool. I do that. *glances furtively over shoulder* sapphirenightmareblade!

Alright, since you won, go ask Gantic for a merit. He is the merit guy for this contest.

The Werecatgirl Award: In case no one knows, the winner from last round's entry is always examined here, and then mocked, usually for tiny grammatical errors. So the award goes to Zahz. Here's his crap excuse for an entry: "His crimson, sanguine blood coursed onto the obsidian velvet from the twisted tortured fetter he called a soul."

Zahz claims that only posers use 140 characters, but apparently posers also use 111 characters. Now, he says, more distinctly, "cause only posers use 140". While this is clearly unparsable, here are three options for what Zahz may have meant:

1. Because only posers use all 140 characters they are allotted.
2. 'cause (see how the apostrophe helps?) only posers use 140, the new drug sweeping our nations youth.
3. Because Darko, God of Darkness demands it.

I chose the first version. Onto the text of the entry. Zahz's approach to satire is thus: "Hey, I don't like this theme. So I'll do it exactly, but worse. That'll show 'em!" Of course, this only works if the satire is actually funny. Zahz went for "satirically dark" but ended up with "blackface".

Alright, so the next theme is our first exercise in form. The theme is... Palindromes! I know this is a challenging theme, but both of you that participate are absolutely super. For this round, your entry must be an original palindrome that tells a story of 140 charactes or less. Entries are due next Friday. And, uh... good freakin' luck.

Posted Jul 20, '12 at 8:39am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

I'll totally print that judging and put it up somewhere.

As for the current theme... :I

“Ootsdrawkcabetirwcanikoo”.
Look, I can write backwards, too!

Posted Jul 20, '12 at 11:11am

acmed

acmed

1,921 posts

No.
Freakin.
Way.

I won? Seriously? Me?

Excuse me, while I go punch this dog....

Posted Jul 20, '12 at 12:23pm

killersup10

killersup10

1,785 posts

It was about a vampire? umm sure why not *shrug*Killersup had not even thought about twilight.He was talking about a gothic boy kissing a gothic girl......but whatever mr.judge.

Reply to Twiction Contest -- The Greatest Story Ever Told (page 11, Due September 9)

You must be logged in to post a reply!