ForumsWEPRChildhood Obesity?

33 10680
ethan3300
ethan3300
100 posts
Shepherd

Your thoughts on child hood obesity since so many kids in America are obese. Its like 37 percent or something like that

• 33 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Its like 37 percent or something like that

It's less than 20%. I recommend a few seconds of research before throwing around numbers.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The 37% figure is factually right, since around a third are overweight. Overweight or obese, both are bad.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's ridiculous how people are actually blaming this on school lunches. Recently every school in my neck of the woods has switched every white breaded food with wheat bread. The only drinks served are juice and milk. The only food served every day is pizza.

I'd rather be fat than eat terrible food.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's ridiculous how people are actually blaming this on school lunches. Recently every school in my neck of the woods has switched every white breaded food with wheat bread. The only drinks served are juice and milk. The only food served every day is pizza.

I'd rather be fat than eat terrible food.

I now see exactly why America is so full of cardiac arrests incidents and fat people...
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I now see exactly why America is so full of cardiac arrests incidents and fat people...

Too be honest, that last comment was somewhat sarcastic. I only weigh 100 pounds (43.3592 kg) and run frequently. America is absolutely full of fat people. Fast food, laziness, media, and lack of needing to kill your own food are contributing factors.

Did you know there have been cases of people suing McDonald's for making them fat? Can you get any dumber?
endlessrampage73
endlessrampage73
2,539 posts
Nomad

Did you know there have been cases of people suing McDonald's for making them fat?

Those people are stupid, but I won't go too into that.

Of all the stereotypes I know of, I'd say the American child one is probably the closest to reality. Children these days eat unhealthy food and don't exercise. I once took a survey by asking a group of children how long they watch TV each day, and the majority said about 6 hours. I then asked how much exercise they got, and half said they didn't go outside ever. American children just don't understand how important it is to have good health.

Also when they watch documentaries on why fast food should never be eaten, they don't eat fast food... For a few days. After that it's back to stuffing themselves with junk.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

The 37% figure is factually right, since around a third are overweight.

Overweight =/= obese.

Overweight or obese, both are bad.

Overweight could mean a higher level of muscle or water, not necessarily fat.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Overweight could mean a higher level of muscle or water, not necessarily fat.

No....Overweight is generally defined as having more body fat than is optimally healthy.

Does it really matter? Are we going to think it's less of a problem since overweight isn't obesity? It all indicates an unhealthy lifestyle.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

Overweight is generally defined as having more body fat than is optimally healthy.

The CDC says otherwise.

Are we going to think it's less of a problem since overweight isn't obesity?

No, but to say that about 40% is obese when it's really 20% obese and 20% overweight combined is factually incorrect.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

No, but to say that about 40% is obese when it's really 20% obese and 20% overweight combined is factually incorrect.

Scratch that and change it to overweight then. It's still the same problem.

CDC definition: Overweight and obesity are both labels for ranges of weight that are greater than what is generally considered healthy for a given height. The terms also identify ranges of weight that have been shown to increase the likelihood of certain diseases and other health problems.
slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

Children these days eat unhealthy food and don't exercise. I once took a survey by asking a group of children how long they watch TV each day, and the majority said about 6 hours. I then asked how much exercise they got, and half said they didn't go outside ever.

I blame that on the parents of the children. If my parents saw me watching tv or staying on the computer for more than two hours they would disconnect them both.

Instead of allowing their children to remain lazy and fat why don't they teach them how to live a healthier lifestyle and encourage them to excersise daily.
macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

Sure childhood obesity s bad, but the government should not take exttreme measures as to force everyone to eat a certain food, or limit companies like Mcdonalds from serving kids meals to custmers, or ban the company from a city. The government should not meddle with someone`s buisness like that. The government is going too far.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Sure childhood obesity s bad, but the government should not take exttreme measures as to force everyone to eat a certain food, or limit companies like Mcdonalds from serving kids meals to custmers, or ban the company from a city. The government should not meddle with someone`s buisness like that. The government is going too far.

Does your government force everyone to eat a certain kind of food?
Does your government impose unfair/unreasonable/unfounded limitations on fast-food chains?
Does your government ban fast-food chains from cities?

If yes to any, source please?

People should have the right to eat what they want, therefore I think it's wrong to limit people in that aspect. But limiting companies to reasonable assortments in order to protect the population from obesity doesn't sound that bad. You're not taking away any right from the people.
And sensibilisation to the subject is definitely important.
bigmac258
bigmac258
103 posts
Nomad

well most kids these days would rather sit around at home all day instead of actually doing something ACTIVE

gooeyglop1
gooeyglop1
345 posts
Nomad

Um, I saw the legal obiecity standards, and they are very strict. So obiecety in the obvious sence, or in the governmetal sence?

Showing 1-15 of 33