ForumsWEPRFirst Impression on Chinese

51 13255
wdhehao
wdhehao
3 posts
Farmer

I'm Chinese Player and I loooOOOooooOOOOOooOOoOoOove ARMOR GAMES!!!!
I no this website opens for the whole world,lots of people gathered here for fun,for make friends.
as Chinese,we r curious about how people thinks us,so i wanna do a survey here~
just to know what the first impression on your mind when you guys talk about Chinese.or communicate with them.
I will check every response with my heart,i have a heart to do this here,so i sincerely hope that one who response me would choose ur word carefully,thanks....
P.S sorry for the grammar and spelling...
P.Ss this is the first time i post here,little nervous...

• 51 Replies
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

hmm singapore sure is in the west. -.-'

Tell me, do you know where this little known country called Australia is? That country that is often considered "Part of the West"? While it isn't technically western, it has had enough western influences to call it western. For example, it's system of laws is based on English Common Law.

why do you have to act like a dumb kid all the time?

I must have caught it from you?

have you never learned that other people can be right also?

Of course they can, when they agree with me, of course.

realy are you that childish? i mean come on... use your brain....

So why are you posting, if you don't care about me thinking that this post is irreverent? To state the irrelevance of my post on the irrelevance of this thread?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

lolhey, please no trolling...

He started it.

Even if Singapore has English antics, it is still a part of Asia and in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Like I said, Australia is also part of the East, but we consider it part of the West culturally, since it fits in with the rest of western culture. Singapore is similar to Australia in that, geographic location has nothing to do with it.

And yes, looking through comments it sounds like he grew up in China.

It would be as pointless as this thread is to argue about that. Why don't we just ask him? He will probably show up tomorrow....
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I'm from the East. I live in Singapore, make trips to China for school and relatives, but I'm Singaporean. I interact daily with PRC scholars in my school, my closest friends have come from PRC China, my teachers have come from PRC China (One was a Red Guard, Hmpph..._)so my constant contact with PRC China. I even have relatives there. but I'm not a PRC Citizen.

Nor am I a Westerner, I'm Singaporean, and my views on China probably go against what most Westerners have. That being said, Singapore is not part of the ''West'', however much we have modernised, absorbed some Western values. West is defined mostly by being part of OECD and geography, but not wholly by one. Japan is part of OECD, but it certainly considers itself Oriental; Australia is just next to Indonesia, but it considers itself, and all us consider it ''Western''.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

So why are you posting, if you don't care about me thinking that this post is irreverent? To state the irrelevance of my post on the irrelevance of this thread?

you think it's useless, still you keep on posting here. if you find the topic not intresting simply do not reply to it.
god, why being so childish?

He started it.

so telling that you better can say nothing then telling you have to say nothing is trolling now.

again childish from you to start pointing fingers you might want to check yourself 1st next time.

also i see directly that you have no knowlets of how it comes that australian has so much relation to the "western world" singapore is on a whole different note.
neither have you grown enoufg balls yet to tell people you are wrong.

ow and btw since when do you keep yourself on-topic? you always get waaayyyy off-topic because you keep going on about the same over and over again, twisting their words and making false conclusions untill people just get tired of you.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I'm from the East. I live in Singapore, make trips to China for school and relatives, but I'm Singaporean. I interact daily with PRC scholars in my school, my closest friends have come from PRC China, my teachers have come from PRC China (One was a Red Guard, Hmpph..._)so my constant contact with PRC China. I even have relatives there. but I'm not a PRC Citizen.

So I was right *Fistpump*.

you think it's useless, still you keep on posting here. if you find the topic not intresting simply do not reply to it.

But you found my post uninteresting, but you still decided to reply to it, correct? I did not say uninteresting. I said pointless, since the only Chinese person, who this tread was made to talk to basically, is gone. So it is pointless.

god, why being so childish?

Well I, as your god, am being childish for it amuses me. Thank you for using my proper name.

so telling that you better can say nothing then telling you have to say nothing is trolling now.

I am not sure. That did not make any since.

also i see directly that you have no knowlets of how it comes that australian has so much relation to the "western world" singapore is on a whole different note.

Yep. I have no knowlets, whatever those are.

ow and btw since when do you keep yourself on-topic? you always get waaayyyy off-topic because you keep going on about the same over and over again, twisting their words and making false conclusions untill people just get tired of you.

And you use the same thing, I think, except you make posts that take so long to figure out that everyone just gets board and leaves. Right?

Nor am I a Westerner, I'm Singaporean, and my views on China probably go against what most Westerners have. That being said, Singapore is not part of the ''West'', however much we have modernised, absorbed some Western values. West is defined mostly by being part of OECD and geography, but not wholly by one. Japan is part of OECD, but it certainly considers itself Oriental; Australia is just next to Indonesia, but it considers itself, and all us consider it ''Western''.

Maybe I have not defined western properly? For example, we could call Hong Kong western, since it has heavy European influence. If we are talking culturally, witch we are kind of, then places like Australia are considered west, while being geographically east. Japan, while it has adopted many of the western influences in modern time, still has much of it's own culture rather than European culture. Places that used to be a colony, especially places that where started as a colony, of a European country like Australia (witch is almost universally considered western) or Singapore, witch was founded by the English if I remember correctly. Since both of them have heavy European cultural influences since their founding, I consider them western.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

So I was right *Fistpump*.

No you're wrong. I don't live in the West, nor do I have a Western perspective. Nor is Singapore Western.

For example, we could call Hong Kong western, since it has heavy European influence.

Have you been to Hong Kong? It's much more Asian than anything.

Since both of them have heavy European cultural influences since their founding, I consider them western.

Arguing against mainstream axioms just shows that you like to argue for arguments sake.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

No you're wrong. I don't live in the West, nor do I have a Western perspective. Nor is Singapore Western.

I was right about you living in Singapore and never China, so I am calling myself right.

Have you been to Hong Kong?

I am to poor to go that far.

It's much more Asian than anything.

But with heavy English influence.

Arguing against mainstream axioms just shows that you like to argue for arguments sake.

Since we all know I don't just argue random views for arguing sake.

By your own definition of "Western", we would not consider most of South America western. So how do you consider what is Western or not?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Western meaning a country's culture has deep roots in the Greco-Roman tradition and expressly influenced by Western European culture. Whilst Hk, Singapore and Japan have heavy Western influence, this is on the surface, the basis of their culture is largely Oriental, Sino, Confucian and hence are not Western.

South America is contentious because although the Meso American culture is evident, the 500 years of colonialism and a thorough colonial history at that, makes them ambivalent, especially in the case of Brazil.

Now can someone ask a China question lest this be locked?

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

But you found my post uninteresting, but you still decided to reply to it, correct?

you were annoying again. i was following the topicand you come in the middle posting your pointless posts.
plz. tell me what is so hard to understand about. that you should not post if you got nothing to say.

am being childish for it amuses me

say's enoufg. he is just a troll like macfan....

I am not sure. That did not make any since.

hmmm dude the only guy that makes no sense is you.
and you make no sense over and over.

Yep. I have no knowlets, whatever those are.

if you have no knowlets about it don't post about it retard.

And you use the same thing, I think, except you make posts that take so long to figure out that everyone just gets board and leaves. Right?

i'm like that on 1 topic on the rest i aint.
also do i admit i'm like that and do i admit when i'm wrong.

you on the other hand are like this in every single topic on the forum and you have no balls to say so neither have you enoufg balls to admit your wrong.

plz. grow up.

Since we all know I don't just argue random views for arguing sake.

you don't? it's the only freaking thing you do on this forum.

maybe you should make a selfreflextion test and see what a nutjob you are.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Ok, to break this logjam, let me just tell a story.

Singaporeans can be quite racist towards even our own Chinese brethren, because as a First World Nation playing host to close to a million Chinese workers, we feel a bit ticked off at jobs going off to support them. We also feel a little angered when individual black-sheep come out and slam Singapore, or at least appear completely unfazed about insensitivities. Such as the recent case of one PRC scholar with the bright idea to paint his face black to look Malay, and make fun of Singaporeans. Or the incidents of PRC workers generally making public nuisances of themselves.

Of course, these are generalizations that need to be stamped out. I have a fondness for PRC China, because of ethnic ties; and because of Chinese pride after two centuries of stagnation and being down-trodden. Either we make friends with the Chinese, or we get swept out of this global rat race.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Western meaning a country's culture has deep roots in the Greco-Roman tradition and expressly influenced by Western European culture

Since when does it mean that? Are you saying that Singapore has not been influenced by the west at all?

Just for an example, from what I have heard all laws are written in English, and English is the second language for a majority of the people living there. Does that not show heavy western influence?

South America is contentious because although the Meso American culture is evident, the 500 years of colonialism and a thorough colonial history at that, makes them ambivalent, especially in the case of Brazil.

Since apparently 200 years of colonialism isn't enough? You did not get out until what, 1959? After being founded by the British?

you were annoying again. i was following the topicand you come in the middle posting your pointless posts.
plz. tell me what is so hard to understand about. that you should not post if you got nothing to say.

I had posted to say that this thread is pointless without someone from China. Is that not valid?

say's enoufg. he is just a troll like macfan....

And you, of course, are being totally rational about all this, and not childlike at all?

hmmm dude the only guy that makes no sense is you.
and you make no sense over and over.

I can't understand you.

if you have no knowlets about it don't post about it retard.

Alright, what in hell is a knowlet?

i'm like that on 1 topic on the rest i aint.

According to you? The unbiased source?

you on the other hand are like this in every single topic on the forum and you have no balls to say so neither have you enoufg balls to admit your wrong.

Is that so? And what makes you think I am wrong?

you don't? it's the only freaking thing you do on this forum.

Since I am never sarcastic for sarcasm's sake.

maybe you should make a selfreflextion test and see what a nutjob you are.

Selfrefreflextion? I don't whant to have whatever the hell that is.

Singaporeans can be quite racist towards even our own Chinese brethren, because as a First World Nation playing host to close to a million Chinese workers, we feel a bit ticked off at jobs going off to support them. We also feel a little angered when individual black-sheep come out and slam Singapore, or at least appear completely unfazed about insensitivities. Such as the recent case of one PRC scholar with the bright idea to paint his face black to look Malay, and make fun of Singaporeans. Or the incidents of PRC workers generally making public nuisances of themselves.

Of course, these are generalizations that need to be stamped out. I have a fondness for PRC China, because of ethnic ties; and because of Chinese pride after two centuries of stagnation and being down-trodden. Either we make friends with the Chinese, or we get swept out of this global rat race.

To be fair that is an interesting view from Singapore about China, but isn't this thread pointless without the Chinese view on something?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Since when does it mean that? Are you saying that Singapore has not been influenced by the west at all?

Just for an example, from what I have heard all laws are written in English, and English is the second language for a majority of the people living there. Does that not show heavy western influence?

Deep. I don't think you actually know what Singaporean culture is like to make a judgement on it. We do use English laws, and use English for official purposes, but our cultural roots are Chinese, Indian, Malay, etc. We speak Singlish, we pray in Buddhist/Hindu/Muslim temples, the Chinese follow Confucianism, our cuisine is most definitely not majorly Western. In so many aspects, is our culture not Greco Roman.

Since apparently 200 years of colonialism isn't enough? You did not get out until what, 1959? After being founded by the British?

Yes, but the British never settled in Singapore as the Spanish and Portuguese did in South America. There were Englishmen of course, but these remain, and have always been near 1% of the total population, and hence, not as significant an impact as you thought. Our British founder for example, split Singapore into a few sectors, based on race, and these sectors developed their own cultures, or clung on to them, hence our culture today is still largely based on such Oriental roots.

To be fair that is an interesting view from Singapore about China, but isn't this thread pointless without the Chinese view on something?

Not really, since I do hear PRC views often.
Showing 31-42 of 51