ForumsWEPRchanging the name of the BigBen?

18 9127
FrozenPhoenix96
FrozenPhoenix96
3 posts
Nomad

hi, i'm FrozenPhoenix96
and my question is:
do they really change the name of the BigBen?
i heard some of it, but maybe it's a hoax,
so if somebody knows it, then please tell me

• 18 Replies
Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

Yes it is true. It will be renamed "Elizabeth Tower" to mark the queen's 60th year on the British throne.

I really don't think this will change anything though. Everybody will still call it "Big Ben" no matter what it is officially called.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

officially "Elizabeth Tower"
it's a stupid name. the bigben was a cool name.
couldn't call that wheel "Elizabeth wheel" and leave the tower as it was?
or can they plz. turn it back when Elizabeth dies?

GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

They probably won't change it back when she dies, but will just rename it with the next in line.
It's kind of stupid if you ask me, since nobody will refer to it as 'Elizabeth Tower' not for a while, at least.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I will never refer to it as "Elizabeth Tower"...that'd be like calling the Grand Canyon the "Obama Crevice"

I want to see a survey for how the citizens feel about this name change..

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

They probably won't change it back when she dies,

I want to see a survey for how the citizens feel about this name change..

i hope they are going to setup a petition when she's dead.
let her have the tower for the time left. after that atleast she doesn't mind.
Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

stupid question and might make me seem uneducated with such a dumb question but...what is "BigBen" ?

Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,372 posts
Nomad

stupid question and might make me seem uneducated with such a dumb question but...what is "BigBen" ?

Just a clock tower in london I couldn't care less about it so I don't blame you for not knowing about it.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

To all interested parties, I believe Big Ben is the name of the clock (more precisely the largest bell in the clock.) Changing the name of the tower wont affect the name of the clock. It's still Big Ben.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

let her have the tower for the time left.

"For the time left"

That just sounds so mean lol... Kind of like something a gold digger would say

I will never refer to it as "Elizabeth Tower"...that'd be like calling the Grand Canyon the "Obama Crevice"

Ah, not quite, the difference is Queen Elizabeth II has been the monarch of England for 60, 60 (I repeat for emphasis) years! It's a thing of respect. Meanwhile Obama has been president for not quite a full term. Huge difference.

I don't disapprove or approve the name of the tower, I'm just saying that your comparison is flawed. Seeing as how I'm not English (from England, I obviously speak English) I'm indifferent.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I believe Big Ben is the name of the clock (more precisely the largest bell in the clock.

That is correct, Big Ben is the name of the bell inside the clock, even though most people do refer to the clock and the tower as such as well. Before being renamed to "Elizabeth Tower", the clock tower was ever so creatively named "Clock Tower". Now I ask you all, was this change not for the better?
GhostOfHorror
GhostOfHorror
890 posts
Nomad

Now I ask you all, was this change not for the better?

I don't think it really makes a difference.
I can't imagine people ever referring it to as the 'Elizabeth Tower', not in this generation at least.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Ah, not quite, the difference is Queen Elizabeth II has been the monarch of England for 60, 60 (I repeat for emphasis) years! It's a thing of respect

Another reason I think the name change is stupid...she did nothing to get into that position but stay alive long enough to inherit the title. Plus..the title is a symbolic one..so they are basically rewarding her for staying alive for a while
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Another reason I think the name change is stupid...she did nothing to get into that position but stay alive long enough to inherit the title. Plus..the title is a symbolic one..so they are basically rewarding her for staying alive for a while

You underestimate the adoration many English have for their royal family ^^ their role might be only a representative one, but they're quite popular.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I can't imagine people ever referring it to as the 'Elizabeth Tower', not in this generation at least.

I'm referring to the change from "Clock Tower" to "Elizabeth Tower". As far as official names go, is the new one not at least better than its predecessor?

The name of Big Ben, the great bell in the tower, is not being changed. It's the only the tower itself that's receiving a new official name, and it doesn't mean you can't still call it Big Ben if that's what you've always called it.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

You underestimate the adoration many English have for their royal family ^^ their role might be only a representative one, but they're quite popular.

And you are underestimating the dislike many English have for their royal family...imagine having to pay taxes just so a family can keep their luxurious lifestyle while offering nothing in return but being a public figure
Showing 1-15 of 18