ForumsWEPREnvironmentalism

86 25533
Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

I think its gone to far, and that it is starting to severely affect our economy. Your thoughts?

• 86 Replies
EnigmaX
EnigmaX
101 posts
Nomad

Too bad Spain is ranked 12th in percentage of renewable energy use... in the European Union.

Wrong.

Spain is ranked 4th among G20 Nations in Renewable Energy Capacity. The only EU Member ranked above it is Germany. (Page 8)

Spain invested 10.4 Billion USD, compared to the 10.8 Billion USD invested by the rest of the EU, ranking 5th among G20 Nations. (Page 9)

Spain leads among investment intensity at 0.74% among G20 Nations. (Page 12)

Spain was the 4th top financing destination among G20 Nations, and ranking 1st among EU members. (Page 18)

Spain was ranked 4th among G20 nations in Installed Renewable Capacity(Wind, Hydro, Biomass,Waste); Only Germany ranked higher (3rd). (Page 21)

Spain was ranked 4th among G20 nations in Installed Renewable Capacity(Solar, Geothermal, Marine); Only Germany was ranked higher (1st). (Page 21)

Spain's profile is located on Page 38.

A note, but Spain is associated with the G20 through its membership in the EU.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

That was not the point. The point was he was saying that the people where making "Overpriced oil deals", witch as we both know is simply not true.

I think I acknowledged that. But what he does say that is true, is that America's energy usage is high, hence high electricity bills, even though oil is relatively cheap in the USA.

Really? I have always heard that it was somewhere between 1.442 trillion barrels and 198 billion barrels, depending on what we are calling "recoverable oil". And America only uses what, 18 million a day?

Saudi Arabia only has 267 billion barrels left, and they are the second largest producer. Don't know where you got your sensationalist trillion barrels. The less than a billion barrels is in the NPRA, if you consider the whole ANWR, it's between 5.7 and 10 billion barrels.

While impressive, you must take into account that France uses far less energy than the U.S. For example, the U.S produces more energy from nuclear power then France does, but it doesn't even cover 20% of our energy needs.

Yes, but proportionately, it still is far higher, and shows that countries, if they want to, can go green. If we take into account size, France is smaller, but scaling its nuclear percentage makes it a giant.
BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

"Atheism? Communist."

In my country, the atheists are generally the conservatives. Wait a minute... another discussion turning into a religious debate? Surely not?

The United States will never change to nuclear energy however. After the incident of three-mile island, what happened in Chernobyl, and even Japan, it just isn't going to happen. A nuclear reactor hasn't broken ground since 1974, and a couple are even still in production due to lack of funding and interest.

You are as likely to die from being struck by lightning than as a result of nuclear energy which is 10,000,000 / 1.

Many green energies out there have the potential to be cost effective and save the planet at the same time, we only have to stop putting vast amounts of effort and resources developing the hydrocarbon fuel system we use today.

If you still think that it would cost too much, then think about this. How much would you give to ensure there will be a tomorrow? Because a tomorrow is perhaps the most precious thing on this planet.

And if you don't think there is enough evidence for global warming check out this graph.

http://climate.nasa.gov/images/evidence_CO2.jpg
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

And if you don't think there is enough evidence for global warming check out this graph.

I mean, pretty much all of us have come to the consensus that the Earth IS warming, other than that chap who proclaimed 'global cooling'.

Many green energies out there have the potential to be cost effective and save the planet at the same time, we only have to stop putting vast amounts of effort and resources developing the hydrocarbon fuel system we use today.

Ah, potential being the keyword. Many of the ideas I've seen so far are heavily in the other direction. Hydrogen cars are hopelessly expensive and explode. Ethanol is less efficient to gasoline on a ratio of 3:2, and think of all the extra corn that is needed to grow; The US uses 88 million gallons a day, and one acre yields 328 gallons of ethanol, meaning approximately 268, 293 acres A DAY dedicated to only corn. Turning off the water while you brush your teeth saves two gallons of water a minute if it's on full blast, which is like crushing a mosquito and proclaiming you're helping stop malaria or yellow fever. Why would companies want to replace efficiency and lower costs for lesser efficiency and less profit? Like somebody said earlier, the only reason we have electric cars is because the car companies can charge more for them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to help the environment. It's just not turning out to be feasible.

Saudi Arabia only has 267 billion barrels left, and they are the second largest producer. Don't know where you got your sensationalist trillion barrels. The less than a billion barrels is in the NPRA, if you consider the whole ANWR, it's between 5.7 and 10 billion barrels.

Actually, the US does have upwards of 1.442 trillion barrels. The only problem with that is that massive percentage of it aren't just hanging out in a underground oil lake. They're buried in shale, and sand, and may not be recoverable, being considered 'unconventional'. Like stated earlier, about 198 billion barrels can be labeled as 'recoverable'.

[url=http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/04/how-much-oil-is-really-in-the-us/256186/]

You are as likely to die from being struck by lightning than as a result of nuclear energy which is 10,000,000 / 1.

That's because very few of us live anywhere near a nuclear reactor. Plus, when lightning strikes a person and kills them, it only affects that person. When a nuclear reactor melts down, it affects the entire population and environment within dozens of miles, for years and years to come. Slightly more dangerous, don't you think?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Ah, potential being the keyword. Many of the ideas I've seen so far are heavily in the other direction. Hydrogen cars are hopelessly expensive and explode. Ethanol is less efficient to gasoline on a ratio of 3:2, and think of all the extra corn that is needed to grow; The US uses 88 million gallons a day, and one acre yields 328 gallons of ethanol, meaning approximately 268, 293 acres A DAY dedicated to only corn.

There are other ways to get biofuels such as algae, pond plants, etc. I've done work on hyacinths.

Turning off the water while you brush your teeth saves two gallons of water a minute if it's on full blast, which is like crushing a mosquito and proclaiming you're helping stop malaria or yellow fever.

No one claims that doing so is doing anything great or dramatic. But if you multiply it by 365, you get close to 800 gallons saved a year. Multiply this by just a thousand people in a small town, and this becomes close to a million. That's a lot of water. Considering that more and more of our fresh water has to be treated with highly energised procedures such as desalination, or reverse osmosis, this potentially saves much more fossil fuel than you think.

Actually, the US does have upwards of 1.442 trillion barrels. The only problem with that is that massive percentage of it aren't just hanging out in a underground oil lake. They're buried in shale, and sand, and may not be recoverable, being considered 'unconventional'. Like stated earlier, about 198 billion barrels can be labeled as 'recoverable'.

Oil shale is not oil at all. It is finely-grained sedimentary rock â" more properly known as organic marlstone â" infused with kerogen, not oil. Kerogen is a dense blend of ancient algae and pond scum, and is an essential ingredient in oil and natural gas. But transforming kerogen to oil requires millennia, coupled with intense heat and crushing geologic pressure. Otherwise the kerogen remains a relatively energy-poor waxy deposit in sedimentary rocks, such as oil shale.

Unfortunately, there are additional huge drawbacks to this.

1) The entire process requires massive inputs of heat, energy and water, and produces a volume of pollutants and gases.

2) The kerogen in oil shale, which was not refined by eons of heat and pressure, has a very low energy density. As a result, oil shale remains perhaps the poorest choice among the carbon-based fuels. For comparison, oil shale contains one-tenth the energy of crude oil, one-sixth that of coal.

3) Refining synthetic oil from shale is a dirty, thirsty and destructive process. People living near fracking plants complain that the water from sources near them can just be lighted up, much like kerosene. At the same time, fracking takes huge amounts of water, to the point that people have started suing Texas companies.

Shale is not the way forward. It is non-renewable, highly dangerous to human health and the environment, and not very cost effective.

As for peak oil, current proven reserves are at 20+ billion. The 198 billion comes about because of mathematical statistic nifty footwork. It is just a potential, and technically recoverable figure.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,211 posts
Peasant

Wrong.

I looked around and all I saw was investment, please read my clearly what I posted next time. As I said the percentage used.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/timeline/6d4c812e25e0ad0ef270774a632f4b8f.png

The investment can always be bad depending on how you use it and when you use it. I was just pointing out the fact that countries that successfully got in the clean energy did not have their economy crushed because of it.

In my country, the atheists are generally the conservatives. Wait a minute... another discussion turning into a religious debate? Surely not?

Well I don't know about your country, but here in North America, fundie conservative people generally do not like atheists, actually, it's one of the most hated ideologies. So they put the communist stamp on it. Although I'm sure many atheists are conservative.
Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Oil shale is not oil at all. It is finely-grained sedimentary rock ��" more properly known as organic marlstone ��" infused with kerogen, not oil. Kerogen is a dense blend of ancient algae and pond scum, and is an essential ingredient in oil and natural gas. But transforming kerogen to oil requires millennia, coupled with intense heat and crushing geologic pressure. Otherwise the kerogen remains a relatively energy-poor waxy deposit in sedimentary rocks, such as oil shale.

I assume thats why they labeled it as 'unconventional'.

No one claims that doing so is doing anything great or dramatic. But if you multiply it by 365, you get close to 800 gallons saved a year. Multiply this by just a thousand people in a small town, and this becomes close to a million. That's a lot of water. Considering that more and more of our fresh water has to be treated with highly energised procedures such as desalination, or reverse osmosis, this potentially saves much more fossil fuel than you think.

You may save a million gallons of water a year if an entire dedicated town does that, but the United States alone uses 400 billion gallons A DAY. So once again, the analogy of planting one single tree to save the rain forests comes to mind. Saving a million per year versus 400 billion a day is an astronomically small number. About .0000006849315% of that 146 trillion gallons a year is saved, and that, again, is just the US alone.

As for peak oil, current proven reserves are at 20+ billion. The 198 billion comes about because of mathematical statistic nifty footwork. It is just a potential, and technically recoverable figure.

Right. Thats exactly what the article said. 20 billion is in reserves, and 198 billion is 'technically recoverable'.

Shale is not the way forward. It is non-renewable, highly dangerous to human health and the environment, and not very cost effective.

As is oil, natural gas, and the other fossil fuels we use, minus the cost effective portion. Being cost-effective is the biggest player in what we use.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Ok, thanks for the comments about the hydrogen car, but no, it doesn't explode nearly as bad as the hydro-haters say, in fact it seems to be better than the gas, take a look at these things.

~1

~2

Sorry, no Hindenburg incident here.

Anyway, some of your charts are iffy, i think. A major volcanic eruption happend at about 250,000 and another at about 280,000. Those should have some of the biggest jumps in co2, yet in your graph it doesn't seem to show that...

oh, and graphs are worthless to me without support, by the way. You make a very official graph nowadays and have it be completely bogus.

Wyrzen
Wyrzen
325 posts
Peasant

Ok, thanks for the comments about the hydrogen car, but no, it doesn't explode nearly as bad as the hydro-haters say, in fact it seems to be better than the gas, take a look at these things.

True, true. But that's a leakage versus a collision of a hydrogen car with a solid object.

And the volcanic eruptions actually have the opposite effect, blanketing the earth in ash and dropping the average temperature of earth. Plus, the main gas components are water, sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulfide, hydrogen, and hydrogen chloride along with some carbon dioxide emissions, though it is mostly silica and oxygen.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Anyway, some of your charts are iffy, i think. A major volcanic eruption happend at about 250,000 and another at about 280,000. Those should have some of the biggest jumps in co2, yet in your graph it doesn't seem to show that...

At 250'000 you clearly see a steep rise in CO2 content in the graph, and somewhere between 250'000 and 300'000 too... if you start from a low phase even a strong volcanic eruption won't make a high peak.

Concerning the global warming and CO2 etc., I think reading the wiki article about the current glaciation, especially the two specific links, might be interesting, for both sides of the argument:

Quaternary glaciation
- atmospheric composition
- next glacial period

You can also go read the general article about ice ages for even more information.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

As mentioned earlier, if we all have the mentality that one person can't do anything, therefore no one should do anything, is a majorly flawed an incredibly short sighted argument. I would want my future generations to actually have a chance at a normal life; a small contribution doesn't hurt, it might be extremely minor, but it sure is better than sitting on your bum and doing absolutely nothing.

Technically recoverable is still a figure if it hasn't been scientifically proven. Odds are, in a constantly expanding universe, there will br alien life, yet we cannot say so until we find proof that there is.

Shale is different from other fossil fuels like oil and coal. It is different from
pumping peak oil, because it involves cracking and crushing vast amounts of shale rock, and then heating it to astronomical temperatures, whilst requiring huge amounts of water to force this out of the ground.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Wyrzen is right of course... big volcanic eruptions, especially the explosive ones, cause the albedo to raise and thus climate to cool, which is caled volcanic winter. Though on the long run, it depends on the gases that are let into the atmosphere, for example if a lot of carbon dioxide and methane come out, it might heaten the climate in the long run, as it might have done during the flood basalts of the siberian traps during the end-permian mass-extinction. So you'd have to examine the specific eruption I guess...

Concerning the carbon dioxide, I think the more grave effect of it on the environment isn't the heating (it might even be simply an indicator and not a cause), but the acidification of the oceans. It not only goes in the air, but also in the water, raises the acidity which in turn augments the dissolving of calciferous materials, thus endangering corals and the like. And we all know that the coral reefs around the world are indeed already in a bad state, whatever the cause may be. Global warming is happening naturally, but lowering the CO2 emissions can help elsewhere too.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

still think that graph is iffy, just because the world didn't heat up, that doesnt mean that the co2 shouldn't rise. And the rise in co2 neer 250,000 looks like it is later, and not very close. Without the clear markers it is hard to tell, which is another thing I dont trust about the graph. How would you be able to measure that anyway? And what would be the cause of rises in co2 if not volcanic action? Medevil blacksmiths?

I live in idaho, and the winters have gotten longer, and colder, not warmer exactly, though the summer is unusually hot here, we just barely got out of spring, climately speaking. The seasons have gone crazy. I just think that the world itself is changeing. And there is not much we can do. I am not saying that we shouldn't take care of the Earth, just that we shouldn't expect quick results.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Still waiting for an answer about the rise in co2 if it isnt volchano's.... it seems really interesting!

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

I hate environmentalists, pacifists, gay rights activists and others so, I think this will be my last comment on this topic.

Showing 31-45 of 86