ForumsWEPREnvironmentalism

86 25528
Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

I think its gone to far, and that it is starting to severely affect our economy. Your thoughts?

• 86 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Still waiting for an answer about the rise in co2 if it isnt volchano's.... it seems really interesting!

CO2 has been shown to be well correlated with global temperature, so anything that raises the temperature will also effect the atmospheric CO2 concentration. I don't know any bigger event at 250000 ya, maybe it's just a temperature maximum from global cycles..

I live in idaho, and the winters have gotten longer, and colder, not warmer exactly, though the summer is unusually hot here, we just barely got out of spring, climately speaking. The seasons have gone crazy. I just think that the world itself is changeing. And there is not much we can do. I am not saying that we shouldn't take care of the Earth, just that we shouldn't expect quick results.

Global warming means that the global temperature raises, the local temperature can of course sink. The melting ice from the poles for example cools down oceanic currents which definitely can affect far away local climates by bringing it out of balance.

I hate environmentalists, pacifists, gay rights activists and others so, I think this will be my last comment on this topic.

Well, it's easy. If you have nothing to say, then shut up. Don't feel obliged to post.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

wouldn't it be theoretically possible to set up a big facility, in Arizona where there is wind and sun for power, and just remove the carbon from the CO2.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

The hell are you spouing nonsense again, taking the carbon out of carbon dioxide? Scientists are trying to reduce CO2 in total, but not in the harebrained way you phrased it.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

i said in theory, i am not a world leading scientist, i am a high school kid. besides, plants can do it, why can't we?

a comment having to do with the original question about environmentalism going to far. a little environmentalism is good, for example keeping carbon levels low, but some people, namely VHEMT and the people from Rainbow Six, think that the human race should go extinct, in my opinion that is way too much.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

....And still waiting for the answer to the co2 rise...

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

i said in theory, i am not a world leading scientist, i am a high school kid. besides, plants can do it, why can't we?

Well, then plant more plants resp. stop rain forest cuts. Problem solved, no huge nonsensical factory needed.

...And still waiting for the answer to the co2 rise...

I at least tried already to answer, if you need more information, please consult literature on the subject. I didn't find anything on wikipedia.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

stop rain forest cuts.

i doubt that would help, otherwise co2 wouldn't be a problem in the first place.
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

i doubt that would help, otherwise co2 wouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Its entirely possible co2 is a problem because we are cutting down forests in general, not just the rain forests. Think about it, animals take in oxygen and exhale co2, plants take in co2 and send out oxygen. We have fewer plants and more animals because of the growing human population and logging.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

A few acres of forest would recycle CO2 more efficiently than any man-made factory, additionally such a factory would need a lot of electricity which we get from fossil fuels and gas among others, so, yeah... oh and it would cost a lot.

Though let's not forget that there is a natural trend in global warming and thus atmospheric CO2 raise. Human CO2 emissions are not warming climate up, they are speeding up the process of global warming, meaning ecosystems will change faster, too fast for some species which would have made it otherwise. And the CO2 acidifies the oceans, threatening coral reefs. So, reducing anthropogenic CO2 emissions to a minimum and replanting the tropical forests would already be enough IMO, only thing is, it will never happen anytime soon.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

the thing about replanting trees, is that they take forever to grow. also in rain forests only 5% of the light gets past the canopy, and other forests get less sunlight because of the higher latitudes.

additionally such a factory would need a lot of electricity which we get from fossil fuels and gas among others,

i said in arizona, there you have two cheap alternate electricity sources, wind and sun.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Exactly, replanting trees takes forever for them to grow, that's why we ought to start now, like, immediately. But stopping the cut would already be a nice start, right?

And I still think a puny little factory couldn't help a lot. I mean, do you even realize how big the area covered by trees and plants is in the world? It's huge, even though it is tiny compared to what it was once. It's still huge, and yet the CO2 content still augments. Enough reason for me to think a few cleaning factories more or less wouldn't matter.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

its better than some of the other ideas people have come with, like storing it on the ocean floor.

source: popular science

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Well elements cannot be transformed magically into oxygen. Have we been able to change any element? So this is basicly modern-day alchemy. What about using genetics to make a super plant? I mean a litteral plant! We have the knowledge, probably, Why cant we use it? Where does the carbon go to anyway when a plant "eats" it?

Oh and a guess on the co2 where from thing, it may come from reeeaaallllly big forest fires! Carbon would be released into the air, and there would be less trees to absorb it....

its just a guess, but it may be a factor...

~krill11

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Where does the carbon go to anyway when a plant "eats" it?

It goes into the process of photosynthesis, the way plants get their food from what little resources are available.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Well elements cannot be transformed magically into oxygen. Have we been able to change any element? So this is basicly modern-day alchemy. What about using genetics to make a super plant? I mean a litteral plant! We have the knowledge, probably, Why cant we use it? Where does the carbon go to anyway when a plant "eats" it?

Ever heard of the atomic orbital model? Quantum mechanics? Basically the higher atoms are upgraded versions of lower ones; they're not completely different, they just have more orbitals, more layers. I just don't know if it is possible for us to transform one into another easily, but I wouldn't call it magic^^

Genetically modified plants to absorb more CO2? I think plants are already quite optimized in CO2 absorbtion, every leaf is full of micro factories that absorb CO2 and release oxygen. If we can modify it somehow, I guess the benefit would be small and not justify the subventions needed for such research.

Oh and a guess on the co2 where from thing, it may come from reeeaaallllly big forest fires! Carbon would be released into the air, and there would be less trees to absorb it....

its just a guess, but it may be a factor...

It's not a bad guess. Now take all those trees who would burn in a huge forest fire, multiplicate them by ten, pile them up and compress them to a few bottles of petroleum. Of course I just imagined the numbers, but the thing is, yes they do have an impact, but it's a natural impact, part of the CO2 cycle. Petroleum is highly compressed organic matter that has been taken from the cycle long ago, and is now fed into the cycle at a fast rate.
Showing 46-60 of 86