ForumsThe Tavernwhy does double jumping exist?

43 6837
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

if you have an arguement as to why double jumping exists, put it here! why? for what reason? is it stupid? put it all here!

• 43 Replies
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

I suppose you mean in games?
Well that is to balance it. In real life you can keep on jumping up forever with a good technique which few people master. But to balance it in games you can only do it twice. If u want to learn the real life technique I will give u a short hard to follow tutorial.
Step 1 : jump
Step 2 : in the air place one foot on your other foot
Step 3 : jump again by lifting off with your top foot.
Step 4 : proceed with steps 1-3 to fly.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Step 1 : jump
Step 2 : in the air place one foot on your other foot
Step 3 : jump again by lifting off with your top foot.
Step 4 : proceed with steps 1-3 to fly.

Troll physics. Umad scientists?
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Double jumping exists so that mario can defeat bowser to rescue peach. I don't really care, as it's not like any other aspect of games is totally realistic. Besides, I would rather have it than not have it.

warriorcats123
warriorcats123
694 posts
Nomad

it exists because of a programing error in some game and the other game makers found the code and used it in some games also you can fly in real life its called a trampoline and a hang glider heres how to use it
1.get tramp
2.jump on it
3.keep doing stemp 2 till you are really high
4.then use the hang glider to glide thus flying

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

a hang glider is not flying. it is falling. There were hang gliders before the Wright brothers flew but they are still credited with first flight.

warriorcats123
warriorcats123
694 posts
Nomad

then get a million robins and you can fly also that doble jump thing just hurt my feet

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

Double jumping exists so that mario can defeat bowser to rescue peach. I don't really care, as it's not like any other aspect of games is totally realistic. Besides, I would rather have it than not have it.

but... theres no double jumping in mario... (i think. and unless you count yoshis cute 2nd jump either)
samiel
samiel
421 posts
Shepherd

to settle an arguement hang glider is gliding but duoble jumping excists to make some games easyier

Chryosten
Chryosten
17,384 posts
Herald

It's so you can get to higher places more easily in games. Pity you can't do it in real life.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

It's so you can get to higher places more easily in games. Pity you can't do it in real life.

wow... if we could do that in real life we wouldnt have to worry about heights... you just double jump a sec before hitting the ground.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

in some games it is unrealistic, like super smash bros brawl, however, in other games it is not, like kirby and games were you have rocket boosters, halo jetpack for one.

XVERB
XVERB
3,137 posts
Nomad

games were you have rocket boosters, halo jetpack for one.

well thats not double jumping... thats just using a jetpack.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

There are lots of people who really believe that in case of a free falling elevator, it would save you to jump up a few seconds before hitting the ground. Exactly what you just said about worrying about heights ^^

No that's not true at all. I could go into more detail but I'm too lazy so search it on google.

But if double jumping did exist in real life, then other rules might be bended too.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

What is not true at all? That there are people who believe it, or that jumping would prevent you from injury?

That it prevents you from injury. You're falling a 9.6 m/s^2...you really think adding a slight hop of maybe 1 m/s in the other direction right before impact will affect something after you're falling at 60-100 m/s?

The concept itself works, what doesn't work is the ability of a human to jump to provide that countering or affecting force.

like kirby

Kirby floating around like that is just as unrealistic as any other kind of "jumping."
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

1.get tramp
2.jump on it

Don't abbreviate words. You end up saying things like that.
Showing 1-15 of 43