ForumsPopular MediaThe Dark Knight Rises

59 16819
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,776 posts
Chamberlain

all things about the new batman who went to see the midnight premiere, i did and it was awesome

~Manly Man

• 59 Replies
EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,223 posts
Nomad

I saw the first two Batman movies, and I can safely say that the man who wore the Scarecrow mask and the Joker are the same character. The same actor played both people. They look the same. I mean, hell, at the end of the first movie the corrupt lawyer guy who was making the stuff got sprayed and ran away, in an insane rampage. In the opening of the 2nd movie, the Joker was wearing the Scarecrow mask. Same guy.

You're retarded, right? If not, may I direct you to your local nuthouse.

Heath Ledger played the Joker, and most definitely did not play Scarecrow.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You're retarded, right? If not, may I direct you to your local nuthouse.
Heath Ledger played the Joker, and most definitely did not play Scarecrow.

I thought he was talking about someone else. No need to call me retarded.
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Boring, won't go watch it. Batman's voice is, as many have said, like gargling gravel.
And why is "The Dark Knight Rises" AFTER "The Dark Knight"? Should it not be the other way around?

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,776 posts
Chamberlain

I saw the first two Batman movies, and I can safely say that the man who wore the Scarecrow mask and the Joker are the same character
nope, the guy who wore the scarecrow mask (crane) is not the same actor or character, the guy who did scarecrow was in inception and the guy who did the joker was Heath Ledger, and if you'll recall in the dark knight when they have the joker in jail that there was no DNA or finger print mach, and in the beginning of batman begins crane wasn't the badguy from the start (in everyone else's mind that is, he was always bad they just didn't know it was him at first) and Heath Ledger died shortly after the dark knight was finished and (in case you didn't see the dark knight rises i won't spoil) crane appears in the dark knight rises and looks the same

~manly man
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Boring, won't go watch it.

Are you stupid? Honestly? Are you one of those people who can only see a movie if it has at least a full hour of explosions, hour of sex, and is directed by Michael Bay? You can't watch a movie and get a message from it? Pick up on subtle nuances that hint at larger and greater things? Have you been living under a rock for the past few years? Have you even HEARD of Christopher Nolan, or of what he's DONE for the filming world? Or do you just look at a movie that isn't packed full of testosterone and call it 'boring..'

Batman's voice is, as many have said, like gargling gravel.

Also. You rate an entire movie on the main characters voice? Come on. It's quite manageable unless you're some sort of weak-eared, obsessive, perfectionist.

And why is "The Dark Knight Rises" AFTER "The Dark Knight"? Should it not be the other way around?

And finally. No. Just no. If you knew anything about the movies, or had bothered to watch any of them, you'd know why. Thaboss won't spoil anything, but... Even seeing some of the trailers would tell you why..

/rant
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

Batman's voice is, as many have said, like gargling gravel.

Bruce Wayne does that to help protect his identity. It's either that or beat up guys with a high pitched voice I reckon.
Erlkingvoice
Erlkingvoice
44 posts
Scribe

This one ranked a little better than the first but came nowhere close to the second.

-my opinion

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

To those who are disappoint in the movie not being as action packed as The Dark Knight, and therefore claim that The Dark Knight Rises is an inferior movie, you have misjudged Christopher Nolan's movie making. The Dark Knight Rises is perhaps one the best movies I have ever seen, and as such, it is a fitting conclusion to The Dark Knight Trilogy.

To understand this movie for what it truly is, you first must understand that this movie is not a movie to stand alone. This movie requires you to have watched the previous movies to experience the journey of Bruce Wayne and his rise, fall, and end as Batman. The Dark Knight Trilogy isn't three movies with Batman, they are a cohesive story about Batman, and that is a very large difference in terms of the scale of the universe this trilogy is set in, and its plot.

Batman Begins was exactly as the name implies, a begginning. You see the development of Batman, of Bruce Wayne embracing his greatest fears and rejecting them in order to begin the healing of Gotham city. As such, you have villains to reflect the disolution of Gotham, its corruption and failing. You have Gotham in need of saving, from itself. The key themes here are the themes origins and the conquering of fear. The movie is all about taking the first step on a new path.

The Dark Knight takes place a little over a year after the events of Batman Begins. This movie reflects upon Batman's fight to bring about change to Gotham, and as such, by this time Bruce Wayne has fully embraced his role as the city's protector. He fears for nothing other than the harm that may befall others, however, he does not fully recognize the scope of potential consequences, and the death of Rachel shoves him into a darkness where he is no longer Bruce Wayne, he simply is the Batman. The fall of Harvey Dent from Gotham's DA to a cold blooded killer is fully understood in the theme of cause and effect. Rachel's death also pushes Harvey over the edge, but without something else to hold on to Harvey falls into madness. Furthermore the Joker ties into the theme of Order vs. Chaos. Remember, Gotham is at war with its criminals. The Joker even says he is an agent of chaos at one point, showing that his motives are merely anarchy. When Harvey dies at the end of the movie and Batman forces the blame upon himself the stage is set.

The Dark Knight Rises is the culmination of Gotham's fight to recover from the city it once was. Eight years after the events of The Dark Knight Bruce is still trapped in his dispair, and has given up being Batman, at least insofar as acting the part. In his heart he is still The Dark Knight. Bane is the embodiment of all the previous villains. He seeks to bring down Gotham, and with it, Batman. The Dark Knight Rises focuses on what came before, how things in the previous movies have reflected the current situation. It is a movie about falling, a movie about the depths of dispair, yet overcoming those depths, rising above them. Before, Bruce Wayne simply was The Dark Knight. Yet, after, at the end of all things he becomes more.

Overall the pacing of the movie is well thought out. There is a great deal of tension not only as the plot moves foward, but also in between characters and the relationships viewers have come to recognize, and rely upon. There are moments that raised a few eyebrows, but nothing that couldn't be overlooked in the grand scheme. The stakes are high, and as a final movie they should be. However, this is not a movie to be taken lightly, there is a great deal of thematic work here place subtly, and overtly within the movie. The movie, as I said before, isn't a movie with Batman, it is a movie about Batman. This is a movie that needs to be looked at for it's messages and themes, not just action scenes.

Overall Rating: 9.5/10

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

I also tried to watch the Dark Knight a year ago on a 12 hour flight to Singapore. I fell asleep. First time I ever slept well on a plane.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,776 posts
Chamberlain

i liked the dark knight rises allot but one reason why people might not like it as much as the dark knight at first is because the dark knight had a much better first scene, and really with heath ledger as the joker that really improved the villain, he did a wonderful job as the joker and bane, he was pretty good but (SPOILER) his death was way too fast, i don't mean to say that it should have lasted 5 minutes but it was just kinda he's there, then he's gone

~manly man

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

i don't mean to say that it should have lasted 5 minutes but it was just kinda he's there, then he's gone

I second that. But it was just a minor flaw in an otherwise epic, epic movie. I honestly didn't have high hopes for this movie considering it had to follow up the greatness from The Dark Knight which would be HUGE task. But I must say, Christopher Nolan and Co. did a pretty **** good job. I loved the movie. The plots, the sub-plots, the action, everything. It was great. The original Dark Knight was still a better movie because well, it had the Joker. And I believe no villain will ever put on the kind of display that really stuck out like Heath Ledger did with the Joker.
dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

To understand this movie for what it truly is, you first must understand that this movie is not a movie to stand alone. This movie requires you to have watched the previous movies to experience the journey of Bruce Wayne and his rise, fall, and end as Batman. The Dark Knight Trilogy isn't three movies with Batman, they are a cohesive story about Batman, and that is a very large difference in terms of the scale of the universe this trilogy is set in, and its plot.

I respectfully disagree. I have never seen the firstone, and only saw bits and pieces of the second. The great thing about them is they all can stand alone as movies, not part of a trilogy. For Thr Dark Knight Rises, one can asume Rachel was Batman's love... And that is really all you need. Other than Harvey Dent, which is explained in the movie.

Also, I loved Bane so much. His voice, his skills, his plans... I don't wanna start a ****storm here but I like him better than the Joker. His motives are better. "I'm necessary evil.." or something like that.
ilovemoney249
ilovemoney249
813 posts
Nomad

I respectfully disagree. I have never seen the firstone, and only saw bits and pieces of the second. The great thing about them is they all can stand alone as movies, not part of a trilogy. For Thr Dark Knight Rises, one can asume Rachel was Batman's love... And that is really all you need. Other than Harvey Dent, which is explained in the movie.

Also, I loved Bane so much. His voice, his skills, his plans... I don't wanna start a ****storm here but I like him better than the Joker. His motives are better. "I'm necessary evil.." or something like that.

I believe what he is trying to say is, to really experience the film for what it is, you need to watch the first 2 films to actually get that feeling that Batman's journey is complete. Yes, you cant just watch the third movie and have all the blanks filled in, but you just won't truly understand the story of Batman and his rise, fall, and end.
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I respectfully disagree. I have never seen the firstone, and only saw bits and pieces of the second.

No person in their right mind has seen bits and parts of the second but didn't bother to ever watch the rest. o.o
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,776 posts
Chamberlain

For Thr Dark Knight Rises, one can asume Rachel was Batman's love... And that is really all you need
no you need to watch the first one (i saw all but the first 15/20 minutes before i watched it but i was still good) to understand about ra's al ghul and all that

~manly man
Showing 16-30 of 59