ForumsWEPRThe Boy Scouts of America

56 10179
notepad7
notepad7
75 posts
Nomad

I am in the B.S.A. and I just want to know everyone's opinion on it.

• 56 Replies
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

I don't think this hould even be here,it isn't a world event,definitely nor a religion or politics......................................
maybe organisation?
but it's not listed..
so i think that this thread is going to get locked.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

It actually has quite a lot to do with politics. BSA is often in the media for different things. Granted, not very good things, such as child predators...

But I think BSA is a good thing overall. My brother used to be in it, and he had a lot of fun and learned a lot of useful things. It teaches a lot of responsibility and real world experience. Granted, they don't always do a good job. And I REALLY disagree with their whole gay policy. That does piss me off. But for the kids and adults that they do let in the program, I think it makes a positive difference.

MrMonkey3
MrMonkey3
495 posts
Nomad

Could you ask a question a little more directly

Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Well BSA is a good place to go if you have nothing to do in the Summer or for Vacation.

steve10292
steve10292
15 posts
Nomad

It Doesn't help get the girls in high school

UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

It may fit in better in "The Tavern," but anyways, boyscouts was alright for the first couple of years, but then it got a little too...odd.

UnknownShadow
UnknownShadow
132 posts
Blacksmith

Oh yes, and shermz, I don't think it will get locked, because what I meant was it probably belongs in the tavern, but it could fit here as well. I don't know, Carlie is probably right.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Carlie said: And I REALLY disagree with their whole gay policy.

What is the gay policy? i have never heard of it before and i was also in boy scouts...but then i quit.
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I don't know it if if is a specific rule, but they will not allow any gay members in BSA. Whether it be members, or mentors. Homosexuals are not allowed to participate.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

There is a boyscouts thing in England however it has never encountered any problems with homosexuality. Why does it have problems with this in America

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

As much of a gay rights supporter I am (hell, I'm bisexual), I do support the Boy Scouts decision to not allow gays. They are a private organization and have the right to reject members based on anything they want.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Tru but just because they have the right to does it make it right? I myself am neutral am just wondering what you think.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I don't think it makes it right. It is blatant discrimination.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hm, this is a very interesting point of contention.

Is it necessarily true that private organisations have the right to exclude members on any criteria at all? I'm not sure this uniformly applies but then again I'm not in the know when it comes to jurisprudence, so I'd like some official sources that could shed some light on this.

Assuming that there is little justification provided for this, I think though that this somewhat arcane policy should be rectified by a good dose of social campaigning.

Who's up for a petition?

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Hmmm...
I support what thelistman says, that private organizations have freedom to exclude, but it is now illegal for privately owned restaurants to prohibit serving of backs, so one could make an argument that everyone deserves equal protection under the law...
So in the interest of protecting a degree of legal fairness, although regretfully taking away a small level of liberty, I would probably sign Strop's petition.

Showing 1-15 of 56