ForumsWEPRNot One Minute

51 17538
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Many of us all have some knowledge about the Munich Olympic Massacre which occurred in 1972, 40 years ago. In this tragedy against peace and sportsmanship, Palestinian terrorists entered the Olympic Village and killed 11 members of the Israeli Olympic Team. 40 years later, the survivors of this injustice and the relatives of the victims are only asking for one minute of silence to remember the athletes who where killed. However the IOC have turned them down time after time after time claiming it would make the Games, "too political." However, as Representative Nita Lowey of New York states, "For those of the IOC who say that this (moment of silence) is political, I would say just the opposite: If this were any nation other than Israel, there would have been a moment of silence long ago." And I believe this to be the unfortunate case, because, in the aftermath of the killings in 1972, the Arab nations refused to have any hand in the mourning of the athletes, showing that they supported these murders.

Do you think that the Munich 11 (as they are so immortalized) deserve one minute of silence? Or do you think the IOC is correct in attempting to allow the massacres to fade from memory?

• 51 Replies
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

You stated that the atheletes have an "elevated status" due to their occupation. Elevated compared to what? Other people.

Yes, however I never said that Israelis are worth more. And the only reason that they have "elevated status" is because they were actively competing at the moment.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

You're being increasingly ridiculous. Only because you think the whole world is antisemitic doesn't mean that it is, only because you didn't get your one minute doesn't mean it is because you are Israeli. That's exactly the attitude I don't like about you folks, you take everything as an affront to your nationality.

I think I understand what zakyman means. This was a massacre at the olympic games. The families of the victims asked for them to be remembered, and because they were athletes killed at the olympics it makes sense that they would be remembered. But I understand compleatly why they think it would be a bad idea to bring that back up. I also kindof disagree that being athletes makes them anymore special than anyone else, but it makes sense to want them remembered. It does have a direct revelence. Unfortunatly it could spark up some conflict so it's better left alone.
emregulmez
emregulmez
2 posts
Nomad

zaky you can't tell me where to write. I can write wherever I want. You know nothing. Even the name you gave its wrong. Its not Marvi its Mavi Marmara. means blue bosphorus. you zohans are keeping palestinians in outdoor prison. if you have a problem contact in private. I dont have much time like you I cant reply every sentence like you do lol. 8 million devil jew with grudge, hateful and venomousness. middle east is boiling and then Turks will see the little Israel with 8 million population. your end is near. Turks fought against whole europe in WW1 and whos 8 millioned Israel. Dont joke about nuclear weapons. Our army is one of the 10 strongest armies in the world. We are kind people we never said F-U. I know you are a little kid but even after WW1 we gave an Anzac name to our bay. We never have grudge on anyone like you. write in private you little satan

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I'm sorry if I exxagerated last post, but you do take it as an affront to your nationality. Because if you didn't, you'd still be a bit annoyed (rightfully so) but you'd understand that it's not because the athletes were Israeli.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I'm making a big deal of this because of the political posturing against Israel, simply because they are Israel.

see people it's still a political problem.
thats why the IOC does not want to get involved.

btw i'm not posturing against isreal. i'm posturing whit the IOC.
if isreal wants that memorial so badly then they could do it by their own. same as the usa has a memorial for 9/11.
why should i participate in a memorial for 9/11? or a memorial for the death in haiti. what about a memorial for the death of the Moluccan revolt in the 70's 80's in my country?

this is just a handfull of bad things that happend. the olympic attack on isreal isn't more special. well maybe people do think it is more special because it involves isreal again.

partydevil, when you're dead and gone, do you want everyone to just forget about your life and any accomplishments you might have?

yes. when i die i will be something from the past.

Giving Israel a minute of silence for the dead athletes is not political. Taking it away from them simply because they're Israel is political.

why must it be done on a world wide scale?
let them have their memorial in their own country don't bug the rest whit it. kinda the same as the 9/11 memorial. keep it for yourself. what do we care about it?

it deserves to be memorialized in the Olympics

and why must it be memorised? what good will it do?
doesn't israel has a national tv station that could do this for them? why must we all be involved whit it?

Because millions of others weren't attacked and killed at the Olympic Games.

so you want a memorial at every event, at every game. at every place. for people who have died there somewhere in the past. then we will always be memorising people and never be able to live and have fun.

>.< when will you people learn to not pull words out of my mouth?

happens to me all the time.

Evidently the Arab countries.

make that the IOC. it's the event of the IOC. not a event by israel or any arab country.

I never asked you to worship them. And I never said that Israelis are worth more than other people.

you do ask millions maybe billions of people to take a min silence for them.
why don't you ask those millions/billions a min silence for the death of the Moluccan revolt?
why don't you ask a min silence at the soccer cups for a plane whit the national hungarian soccer team. that russia has shot down just a few year ago?

what makes those israeli more imported except that they are israeli?

So now you insult me for thinking that some Israeli athletes deserve a minute of silence? Wow, way to take your argument to a whole new low point.

forcing the entire world to memorise some dead dudes is lower in my opinion. sorry.

the only reason that they have "elevated status" is because they were actively competing at the moment.

they were attacked in their apartment during the night right?
not realy activly competing....

btw if thats the only reason then i find that no reason at all.
people are always busy whit something when they die.
that they are sporters doesn't make them more special.

I think I understand what zakyman means. This was a massacre at the olympic games. The families of the victims asked for them to be remembered, and because they were athletes killed at the olympics it makes sense that they would be remembered. But I understand compleatly why they think it would be a bad idea to bring that back up. I also kindof disagree that being athletes makes them anymore special than anyone else, but it makes sense to want them remembered. It does have a direct revelence. Unfortunatly it could spark up some conflict so it's better left alone.

the problem is that they want it to happen world wide. (putting themself on the world news spot again)
while they can do a minute of silence by themself. and no1 would even care to go against it.

=======================================

way to long post.
enoufg for today i'll be off for the rest of the day.
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

so you want a memorial at every event, at every game. at every place. for people who have died there somewhere in the past. then we will always be memorising people and never be able to live and have fun.

Some events do it. I used to compete in speech tournaments, and there was this one tournament where a kid had a seizure in his shower and died. Every year afterwards at that tournament they (I think prayed? Had a moment of silence?) had something to remember him by. It does happen, I would just assume it's never happened on such a large scale. I would also assume that they would just ask the athletes to take a moment of silence for their fellow athletes. Theres no reason to get anyone else involved. I do agree that this

the problem is that they want it to happen world wide. (putting themself on the world news spot again)
while they can do a minute of silence by themself. and no1 would even care to go against it.

is probably the best idea though.
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

zaky you can't tell me where to write. I can write wherever I want. You know nothing.Even the name you gave its wrong. Its not Marvi its Mavi Marmara. means blue bosphorus.

Please do not "hijack" a forum thread by changing the subject. If you want to change the subject, please start a new message thread

From the guidelines for posting in the forums. You are not supposed to change the subject of a thread, unless that is the natural course of the current discussion. Also, attacking me over a single letter, and also questioning my intelligence is not how you argue on the forums. I think that even those who have an opposite stance to me would agree with me.

you zohans are keeping palestinians in outdoor prison

Zohans?

Dont joke about nuclear weapons. Our army is one of the 10 strongest armies in the world.

Never did, and Israel is arguably number 1.

I'm sorry if I exxagerated last post, but you do take it as an affront to your nationality.

The funny thing is that I'm American...

if isreal wants that memorial so badly then they could do it by their own. same as the usa has a memorial for 9/11.

Not the same. 9/11 was a tragic event yes, but it was not at an international competition.

make that the IOC. it's the event of the IOC. not a event by israel or any arab country.

But the Arab countries were the ones who protested.

you do ask millions maybe billions of people to take a min silence for them.

I didn't. I said it should be shown to billions of people.

they were attacked in their apartment during the night right?
not realy activly competing....

They were athletes at the Olympics. They had competed or were going to continue competing. They were active participants.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Not the same. 9/11 was a tragic event yes, but it was not at an international competition.

It was a place of international business transactions among other things. The attack killed nearly 400 foreign people from over 90 countries. I'd say it's a bit more international than 11 people from 2 countries.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

11 people from 2 countries.

Sorry, 11 from 1 or 12 from 2 if you want to include the German police officer.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

But the Arab countries were the ones who protested.

and it seems the IOC agreed whit them. maybe for the reasons the arab nations said. maybe for IOC's own reasons.
it didn't happen and to keep going on about it is kinda wierd.
maybe omce in the future israel will be the host country. then they can do a hour of silence. but i'll be watching something els in the meanwhile.

I didn't. I said it should be shown to billions of people.

why show that? people already know that. do you need more (already burned) coal on the fire?

They were athletes at the Olympics. They had competed or were going to continue competing. They were active participants.

so was the hungarian soccer team and it's president. no memorial for them?
or tokyo 1964, mexico 1968 and atlanta 1996?
nomoreheroes23
nomoreheroes23
75 posts
Nomad

You're being increasingly ridiculous. Only because you think the whole world is antisemitic doesn't mean that it is, only because you didn't get your one minute doesn't mean it is because you are Israeli. That's exactly the attitude I don't like about you folks, you take everything as an affront to your nationality.

Yea,this was a good post.

Well then....from my cold perspective,if there wasn't a single minute of silence for this incident in the last 40 years(correct me if I'm wrong),then it is pretty obvious that there won't ever be a decent tribute to it.But,it won't be forgotten.

Minute of silence or no minute of silence,it will just be a small,tiny tiny tiny, dot in history,as another massive killing(out of many) in the 65 year old Palestino-Israeli conflict.

I,tbh, have always respected Israelis,and as HAhiHHa said,EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is not antisemitic.

On the other hand,it is something that occured during the Olympics,only because of that,there should be some sort of tribute.But yes,it still would be "too political" for the IOC to mention something on those fragile grounds.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Turkey will make peace there again.

turkey making peace?

they denied the help of greece after the massive eurthquake last year.
because of reasons long long long time ago.

they are not even able to meet whit the european human rights laws.
if they can't even do that (in 30 year), how can they bring peace over that whole area?
zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

emregulmez, as far as I'm concerned, you are finished in this conversation. Your posts have nothing to do with the topic at hand, and thus if you do not stop immediately, I am going to report that to the mods. I am also considering reporting your blatant insults against my religion-and me for that matter. Please do not post here again, as you are flaming and incredibly off topic.

danielo
danielo
1,774 posts
Peasant

the main reason why the munich massecer is diffrunte from a suicide bomber in a bus, us that here, a group as killed athlits in the olympics games, which soppuse to be clear from dipomacy and realtion between nation. i can say that the violated the olympics. they used the olympics as a tool to hurt Israel.

We want this minute of silence, not to protest against our conflicts. we want to it to protest against the use of some groups {or willing to} of the olympics.

this is why we want it. we are willing to comepete against every nation in any time. want to see it? lets see one athelist from a nation that ban us ask a Israeli athelit to comepete with him, and see what will happen. when its the other way, suddenly the ban nation dude is feel very sick, as a food poisoning... its realy amasine how a food poisoning come in the worst timing heh?

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

It's true that the Olympics are supposed to bring the countries together in fair competitions. But to think that a terrorist organisation will respect the spirit of Olympics is naive.

The protest agaisnt the misuse of an Olympic event as a reason for the one minute makes sense, I agree. But I can also understand why it won't be made. Olympic events have been boycotted by several countries in the past; what's to say that the countries who don't want to give tribute to the victims won't boycott further events if the one minute is made?

The reason why certain countries would be offended by it, is certainly because the athletes were Israeli; I don't question that. But this isn't necessarily also the reason of the IOC; my guess would be, as mentioned, that they prefer to respect the will of several member countries, than to enforce something that might lead to a new boycott, which would have consequences to be sure. Therefore accusing the IOC's decision of being politically motivated seems unfair and unbased to me.

Showing 31-45 of 51