ForumsThe TavernThe Great Panic- A Zombie Apocalypse

117 17739
Itachi2641747
Itachi2641747
264 posts
Nomad

I decided to make a forum RPG based on two popular zombie books, called "The Zombie Survival Guide" and "World War Z", written by Max Brooks and Three Rivers Press. This is a game that has the players telling about what they do each day in a Class 4 outbreak, or a world overrun by the zombie-creating virus Solanum, and already created zombies. You would give information on your "avatar"(character you play as) and then say where you would live and what your weapons are. You can team up with other players and make a colony, or be a loner, but either way, your choices effect what happens in your zombie-infested world.

You do not need to know about the the books this is based on, you just need to like RPG's, forum games, or zombies.

<Rules and Guidelines>
1. You control your choices and your character, but I control the zombies.
2. Your character must be an average human being. No futuristic items. No amazing abilities. No half-zombie crossbreeds.
3. You may have previous training with weapons, or military experience. You may also be in the military, but you may not have access to experimental weapons.

4. The game world is my world, and under my control, you just play in it.

Side Note: Only destrying the brain kills a zombie.

Note: Small= 6 inch - 2 feet, Mid-sized= 2-4 feet, Large/Long= 5 feet+

<Available Weapons>
(You may start with: 2 melee weapons; 1 firearm (gun); and either an explosive or fire source.)

>Melee Weapons<
(You may choose one melee weapon twice to dual-wield)
1. Dai-Katana Two-handed long katana
2. Katana Mid-sized razor sharp sword (think samurai sword)
3. Claymore Extra-long extra-heavy sword
4. Shaolin Spade(counts for two weapons) A six-foot long pole with a fanned blade on one side, and a crescent blade on the other end.
5. Mace A mid-sized club with a spiked ball on the end.
6. Battle-Axe A mid-sized weapon with a large, heavy axe blade on the end.
7. Spear/Javelin A 5-foot long pole with an 8-inch long spear tip. Can be thrust or thrown.

>Guns/Firearms<
1. Sniper Rifle Long range(up to 300 meters)rifle with scope. 25 pounds
2. All-Use Rifle Mid range (up to 100 meters accurate typical rifle. Weighs less than Sniper. 15 pounds
3. Assault Rifle Mid range, has automatic fire, but uses ammo quickly, and is harshly inaccurate over 50 meters. 20 pounds
4. Shot Gun Very short to short range (buckshot is very short (25meters) and a slug is short (50 meters)) harshly inaccurate. 15 pounds
5. Pistol Short range, quite inaccurate. 5 pounds
6. Crossbow Short range, silent, and comes with a scope. 10 pounds
7. Handbow Very short range, silent (miniature crossbow) no scope. 3 pounds

Note: You may have one fire sorce and one ignitable, or only one explosive.

>Fire sources and Explosives<

*Fire*
1. Matches 15 uses, reliable.
2. Lighter 15 uses, water proof.
3. Flint and Steel Unlimited, water proof, reliable, only creates a spark.
4. Blow Torch 60 uses, 1 use per second (average ignition time: 2 seconds) reliable, waterproof, but 2% chance of explosion.

^Ignitables^
1. Molotov Cocktails 5 uses, continual burning on surface hit.
2. Gasoline Dousing 10 uses, much like cocktail, but may spread to surrounding area.
3. Flamethrower Bolth a fire sorce and a ignitable, same rules as blowtorch. Weighs 70 pounds. 25% chance of splashback.
4. Aerosols (bodyspray) Same as blowtorch, 5 uses, stronger than Flamethrower and blowtorch, 50-75% splashback.

xExplosivesx
1. Fragmentation Granades 10 grenades, not very efective against zombies.
2. Claymore Mine 10 units, same as grenade, but in mine form.

If you would like to make a special request for a weapon, please ask me first.

<Inventory>
You start with:
1 months rations
5 days water
Shovel
2-way radio
8-inch knife (can double as a weapon)
5-inch knife
Throwing daggers (4)
Small hatchet (log-splitting, possibly weapon or throwing)
Machette (it's to dull to cut flesh, but can cut vines. Maybe if you sharpen it, it can cut flesh.)
Pickaxe
Lantern
Candels (3)

Other items can be given upon request, but ask first.

<Fortress/Living Quarters>
Please tell me where you want to set up your camp/fort (fort for multiple people) so I may take that into account, or if you want some help in chosing a good terrain, please feel free to talk to me.

Note: You do not need to know anything about the books this is based on, you just need to like RPG's, zombies, or Forum games.

This topic is the game! You are free to join in at any time, and the one thing that I require is that you come in ready to play, and ready to take down some zombies!

*Disclaimer*
I feel I must remind everyone to keep the described violence, gore, and mature material to a minimum, or at least have some warning of the content that you will describe. Language should be kept to a PG rating, so basicaly, if they beep it out on T.V., don't use it. Explicit sexual or adult material will, of course, be flaged, and your expultion from the game will be nessessary. All forum rules will be followed, and all activity will be monitored. However, please feel free to be creative in your responses, just don't reveal the "brutal details". Stabbing a zombie is okay, but don't say what else happens to it's zombie body. Please be creative in your responses, though.

Happy Hunting,
Itachi2641747

• 117 Replies
StraightJaketMan
StraightJaketMan
619 posts
Nomad

well, we gotta get someone on the phone...erm, computer...here soon, otherwise the mods will tear down this one, and we'll have to start up something else.

WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN!!!

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

I'll make some challenges for people.

Asherlee-
You are at your camp on the bas of the mountain. When you hear a zombie howling overhead. You look back and realize about twenty zombies came up the less steep backside of the mountain and are coming down at your camp from above. What do you do?

DivineDarkness- You are sleeping in your metal reinforced car when you wake feeling seasick. You look frantically around when you realize the zombies are rocking the car. You grab your weapons. The zombies flip the car over causing one of the front doors to open and you to fall on you katana, creating a large gash on your left leg. About ten zombies are outside and start pouring through the open door. How do you defend yourself and treat your wounds?

coolmanrule- Your set up is cheap so the zombies can be cheap. About 200 zombies take over about 100 US combat tanks. They completely surround your base. As you only have one months supply of food. How do you either break the siege or escape?

daswiftarrow- While you are sleeping during the night, ten zombies climb over the fence and surround your shack. They charge through the doors and windows. You suddenly awake to their racket. Grabbing the handbow and javelin, how do you stop the zombies?

StraightJacketMan- 30 zombies gather around your cave. Some charge through the door the others start tearing up your barricade, so more can enter at once. Your flamethrower is on the other side of your cave,but you have the crossbow and katana. What do you do?

BigBowla- You are cleaning your sniper rifle. When you hear the zombies roar outside of the base. You quickly reassemble the rifle, attach your belt of fragmentation grenades, along with your katana and its scabbard. You look towards the western end of the compound where the howl came from. You see fifty zombies scaling the wall. Madly climbing, they force some onto the electrified barb wire and climb over the smoking corpses unaffected. Half make it over the wall. How do you defend yourself?

Steevo- At night, 20 zombies surround your cabin. They slowly climb over the stakes in the ground preparing for a meal. They try to break through the doors and windows but are unable. They climb onto the roof and start tearing away (like in I am Legend). The sound wakes you up, fully armed, how do you go about defending yourself?

NoName- You are combing the city looking for survivors. You enter an abandoned warehouse where you thought you hard a scream. Searching around with your flashlight you stumble upon twenty zombies eating a freshly killed human. The zombies recognize your presence. Only twenty feet away they turn around and run at you to attack. your pistol is out of ammo due to fighting the previous day. How do you defend yourself from the onslaught?

I hope these work for everyone.

Itachi2641747
Itachi2641747
264 posts
Nomad

What are you doing, necromancer? The players chose where they are, and they need to make attacks on zombies and what not. We can't decide for them, they must make their own choices.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I am asking them what they would do in such situations, thus they make their own choices. I read the character profiles and based the zombie attacks off of that. Its better than having 50 zombies charge at everybody. You asked for help earlier, if you don't want it, fine.

StraightJaketMan
StraightJaketMan
619 posts
Nomad

That's ok, I have a solution for mine.

I find that the walls of the barricade were starting to shake, and that, so far, 7 zombies have made their way through the door. I start to run to my flamethrower, and realize that it's too far into the cave to run to it. Gotta make a mental note on that, while I could still be considered mental.
I decided to run them down. I charged them, swinging blindly with my katana, and firing randomly with my crossbow. I managed to miss every single blow, but I made it to the front of the cave. Just as the other zombies figure out how to break down the barricade. Crud. That took a LONG time to make. They'll pay for that. I started to run back to the end of the cave, in a desperate attempt to make it to the flamethrower. Fortunately, I had a mode of "transportation". I loped the head of one of the zombies in half, and got on it's shoulders. Luckily, it's motor neurons that control the bottom half of the body were still active. As I rode the zombie down the cave, I hacked away the zombies with the katana in one hand, and fired at them with my crossbow in the other. I managed to get about 12 this way, and left 13 without various appendages, such as arms, legs, or both. I discarded the body I was using, which continued to twitch in the corner. I proceeded to dash to the back of the cave, and began loading arrow after arrow into the zombie menace. I hit two in the head, and 4 in the chest, but they continued to stumble after me. Finally, after what felt like my legs would give out, I reached the flamethrower. But the pilot was out. I just managed to pull out my flint/steel to light it, when I saw the first of the zombies turn the corner. As I struggled to get the pilot on, the zombies continued to advance to where I sat. When I realised that the steel wasn't sparking, I threw down the flint, and drew my katana.
But, apparently, the spark caused the flame thrower to light, sending a shower of flame at the zombies. But, more importantly, directly at me. I just managed to jump out of the way before I got hit with the full blast. My shoulder seemed to get hit, but I ignored the pain. At least it would leave a cool scar that I can tell the story of to my grankids, IF I make it out of here.
The shower of flames brought down all but three of the zombies. My flamethrower was jammed, and all of my arrows were spent. At least, the one's I had on me.
There was no other option but to fight them hand to hand.
However, the flamethrower happened to make a wall of fire, and they walked right into it. As I watched them burn, Ithought that it was too easy. I walked to the head of the cave, and remembered why.
"I hate zombies" I said as I becan to rebuild, and this time REINFORCE, my barricade.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Thank you very much necromancer, that is what i meant by making unique situations for each person.

Well first i take my d-guard bowie knife and run to the room where i heard the zombies tearing at the roof. Adrenaline pumping through my body, i quietly open the door as to not to attract more zombies, I walk into the room and there are three zombies standing there with their backs towards me watching another one tear an even larger hole in the roof. I slash the three of them down with my bowie knife and the other one tearing at the roof notices me and jumps at me, it knocks the bowie knife out of my hand, right now i am struggling for my life, but i manage to kick the zombie off of me, i roll over, grab the bowie knife, and take it down with a quick slash to the head. I look outside from one of the upper windows and there are 16 zombies trying to get into my house from the front (one of them was impaled on the sharpened steaks). I figure that survive i need to flee and I do not want to throw a molotov coktail, otherwise it would burn the whole place down. So I take with me a sleeping bag, my bowie knife, scythe, shotgun, shotgun ammo, and flint and steel. I run out the back way of my cabin and retreated about 2 miles away from my cabin. I dig a trench and light a fire and i put logs and such around the trench to create a feeble wall. I unroll my sleeping bag and fall asleep with a loaded shotgun in hand, making sure to put the fire out first. Right now, i am just hoping to wait until daytime to check out my cabin again.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Haha, very nice. I almost want to start throwing around some d20 to see if my things would work out. XD

Anyways...I will start at it.

Name: Dervin Krieg
Appearance: 6'1 tall Caucasian male. Shortish blond hair. Average build. Wearing glasses, black t-shirt from engrish.com , dark blue jeans and steel-toed military boots.
Background: A talented cook who is self-trained and skilled in the use of many melee and ranged weapons.
Personality: A loner for now, but might team up if the other person/people catch his fancy.
Loation: Suburban town 20 minutes outside of a large city in a small forested area, residing in a medium-large sized(roughly 6 paces by 5 paces) tree stand. (Alone for now.)
Weapons:Spear, mace and hand bow
Fire source: Good ol' classic Zippo light.
Misc. items: 3 packs of Marborlo cigarettes.

Beginning:
Dervin is currently sitting in the tree stand smoking a cigarette and whittling sticks to turn into more arrows for his bow. It is a bright and cheery mid-afternoon day.

Oh, and a quick few questions. Does the lighter use count apply for lighting cigarettes, seeing as it is more of a personality thing and passive action as opposed to an actual action? Oh, and as please explain more about the very short range for the bow.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Addendum: I would be willing to take this over if Itachi is willing to let me, or atleast try and keep up on stuff. Be warned though, I can be strict and harsh at times when it comes to this kind of thing. But that is not a bad thing, seeing as it means for deeper detail and better scenarios for each person.

Until I hear a reply, I am going to put my character on hold.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@Bigbowla- The key to your question is when I said "madly" the idea being that in the frenzy to eat. The zombies would push each other around to get there first. Having this applied to scenario on an electric fence would cause the first to climb it get pushed onto the barbed wire by those behind them. The barbed wire would tear into the flesh of the electrocuted zombie, holding them there allowing the zombies behind them to continue the mad climb over the body.

P.S. When writing the original scenario, I was debating over that approach or seeing as everyone is dead have the local power station no longer supply power to the wire. However, as a military compound I figured it ought to have its own generator.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

necromancer i think that you should keep making up the scenarios now that you know each of our situations.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

@Bigbowla

whatabout when your shirt caught fire? you never did anything with that. And 50 zombies is ALOT, i'm sure it is not that easy to kill all of them....look at what NoNameC68 wrote on page 9....

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

"Half make it over the wall." I said that in the original post which should have left you with 25, oh well, made for a good response.

@steevo- I might make more tomorrow, if Itachi will let me. Also I have a summer camp for two weeks starting on Monday, limiting my computer time during the weekdays,

Itachi2641747
Itachi2641747
264 posts
Nomad

I would like help, but I would like to TALK to whoever wants to help BEFORE they take control! I broke several bones, and I can't be on all the time. Message me about what you are going to assign BEFORE you do it.

zds88
zds88
12 posts
Nomad

to many rules

StraightJaketMan
StraightJaketMan
619 posts
Nomad

try not to think too hard on that, or your head may explode, zds88

Wait, Itachi, you broke a FEW bones? Was it in a fight with your own creations? How Ironic

Getting on to the journal...

DAY 29.

I have just finished reinforcing my barricade at the mouth of the cave, when I realized that there was no way for me to get out. Sould have thought of that when making that from the inside. Well, at least there is enough water from a small pool inside the cave for me to survive for a little while. Surely long enough to find a second way out of here.

Yet, If I DO find a way out, surely wouldn't have the zombies found that way in from my smell?

DAY 30.

I have been able to find nothing but a large outcrop of (what I believe is) fungus. At least I won't starve. Too soon.

DAY 31.

A funny thing happened. When I woke up, I noticed that there was a mushroom growing on my arm, near the spot of the burn from the last meeting with...them. When I tried to rip it off, I noticed that it was firmly in the skin, and growing. Hurt like bloody h3)), and it tore the skin. I'll have to wait it out, and see if there is anything that can get it off in due time.

DAY 31 (later)

A large tremor came from somewhere in the cave, and with it, the smell of decay. I feared that zombies had made it into the cave, but none showed up, for nearly 7 hours. I hope that, wherever it was, that it didn't cut away my single food supply.

DAY 33.

Almost a miracle. Yesterday, I tried to look it up in a field guide I carried with me, but this kind of mushroom wasn't in there. This, I thought, struck me odd. No one must have ever seen this cave before, or at least no one who came back.
When I woke up this morning, I noticed that there was a mushroom laying about 3 inches away from my face. It was slightly shriveled, and discolored. I hadn't eaten much, besides these awful-tasting mushrooms, but since this was slightly new, I decided to try it out. After all, an advid eater is not afraid to try new dishes!
And I was glad to do so! It had a unique taste, unlike the rest of the mushrooms. Sort of smoky, but similar to that of one steeped in an ale, or alchohol.
I looked at my shoulder for the first time today, and realized that the mushroom wasn't on the wound. Better still, the wound wasn't on my shoulder! It seemed that the mushroom slowly decaded the burned skin on my arm, and used it as a form of nutrient for growth. An amazing fungus, and one stumbled on accidentaly! I will have to explore the cave more thouroughly next time, to see if there is anything else in here that could aid me.

DAY 34

I was deep in the depths of the cave, when I heard this sort of shuffling noise, almost like that of a large mammal. Thinking it was a lame rat or badger that got trapped from the outside, I was ready to tackle it.

I jumped...

...and was horribly surprised...

It was a full grown man, about 50 years old,6 feet tall, lanky, wearing glasses and a white button-down shirt, along with jeans and hiking boots. He wasn't a zombie, and I trusted him (due to the fact that he said other words besides "BRAAAAAAINS" and the occasional grunt)
He said his name was Durandus, and he was stuck in this cave for three days after a rock slide, feeding on the same mushrooms I had discovered 4 days ago. He said that there was a group of about 4 zombies that found him in his previous base, and when he killed them, they "split into twoalong the verticle half, and came fo him individually, each hemisphere of the brain being contrilled separately." Frankly, I didn't believe him, but I got a little wary, peering into the dark behind him, and seeing fleeting images of the last ones.
I asked if he wanted to join up with me, so we could find a way out of here faster, and he gladly accepted (That's putting it lightly; he practicly tacked me back in happiness just from hearing the word "join&quot So I now have a new member of the group of two, including myself. Don't know how long he'll last, but is always nice to have someone to talk to. I was suprised what he could carry with his skinny frame, but it must have been in bad light (or no light whatsoever)

NEW MEMBER: Durandus
ITEMS WITH HIM: All-use Rifle, Dai katana, Battle Axe, 8-inch knife, Matches, Moltovs (4), and a first aid kit (from a local hospital, he says)
EXPERIENCE: Doctor, but has had some experience in Nam. as a sniper. Knows how to kill, but not the kind of enemy we're up against.

Now, time to find a way out.................................

Showing 91-105 of 117