ForumsGamesWhat's Wrong With Nintendo?

66 11621
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It seems like everyone hates the Wii and all other Nintendo products.

I want to know why, in all its generality.

Persuade me.

• 66 Replies
ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

A lot of things are wrong with Nintendo. They rehash IPs like there's no tomorrow, the Wii U is a disaster, nobody cares about 3D, I could go on.

But:

A. A lot of things are wrong with the other companies too;
B. A lot of things are also right with Nintendo;
C. Nintendo is nowhere near going bankrupt or something of the sort.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Personally I see the 3DS as a really appealing handheld. At first I was skeptical (Just another 3d gimmick) but I was surprised. The 3D (If done properly) is much better than I thought. When I played Fire emblem I actually felt like the 3D was 100% worth it. And even without the 3D I feel like the console is incredibly cheap and has some amazing titles going for it. I think it's about to launch off soon.

As for the Wii U I haven't decided yet. I feel like nintendo is going in the right direction but it can't shake off all the hate it gets from hardcore gamers. Just needs a few more amazing titles.

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

My problem with the 3DS is kind of abstract. There's nothing wrong with the console itself, it's a solid handheld in practice, it's building a library, but the whole 3D aspect is just misguided. It's a gimmick from Nintendo, yet again, and in my experience with very little utility or purpose. Was this really necessary? Maybe we could be playing a handheld with superior hardware at the same price if Nintendo didn't feel the need to add that little quirk. Perhaps the 3DS would be easier to develop for and we'd have a better library.

It's a sort of Wii situation. Nintendo keeps attempting to anticipate the "evolution of gaming" with frankly unimpressive, undercooked ideas, at the expense of game quality and availability. Apart from the initial wow-factor and aesthetic appeal, what does 3D really add to a game? It's just a weak concept to build an entire console around.
So weak, in fact, that the console itself has a little switch that lets you turn the 3D off. A little slider that lets you turn off the entire freaking point of the console. Didn't that look like a little red flag when they were designing it? Maybe something you can so inconsequentially throw away isn't all that big of a deal.

Just needs a few more amazing titles.

That's quite an understatement. The Wii U is competing against consoles with years of better, more extensive game libraries, better online play and established consumer communities. And non-retarded controllers. There's just very little appeal to get the Wii U over its competitors, and really very little appeal at all, given that we're so close to the next generation.

The only hypothetical scenario where the Wii U suddenly does extremely well is one where it gets all the same games as the other two current-gen consoles AND an absurd amount of fantastic exclusives, and even then it's only really got until the PS3 and XBox 720 come out.
At which point it's on life support, forgotten for months on end, in between the releases of the newest Zelda, Mario or Metroid games. Much like the Wii itself had been for awhile, just prior to the Wii U coming out.

I want to be wrong! I really do. I want Nintendo to have something massive up their sleeve. I want them to have a secret button in Nintendo headquarters that activates all the Wii Us' secret next-gen processors worldwide. I want them to be developing right now a ton of amazing titles that totally justify the stupid tablet thing. I want them to make the Virtual Console into the greatest online console store ever.

But I'm skeptical.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

Nintendo seems to only appeal to its fan base and keep creating remakes of what used to be successful games. I think if Nintendo would just think outside the box and create something that wasn't Mario themed or Zelda themed, something that was actually good. Something that didn't seem like a flash game on a console then I think they would be significantly better.

Also I heard that Apple may be buying out Nintendo, not sure if there is truth to that but i think if they teamed up then Nintendo would sky rocket. Because I have Apple products not Nintendo products

ihsahn
ihsahn
428 posts
Nomad

Nintendo thinks outside the box and tries to appeal to different niches of gamer all the time; that isn't the problem. The problem is how they do it.

Also I heard that Apple may be buying out Nintendo
I don't think that's true as Nintendo isn't the sort of company one buys out, it buys other companies out. And I certainly hope it isn't true, we don't need Apple's business model in the games industry.
Showing 61-65 of 66