572 posts
Nomad

this is a page for mind-twisting riddles

• 96 Replies
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

One day the town barber tells each of his clients to double the amount of money in the cash register and then take $20 for themselves. The first three clients are able to comply, but the fourth finds the register empty. How much money was in the cash register at the start of the day?

Do they take exactly $20?
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

You're either really smart or have too much time on your hands. Or both.

Nah im just awesome
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Do they take exactly $20?

Yes they take exactly $20.
Nah im just awesome

I'm awesome too. Let's form a club
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

I'm awesome too. Let's form a club

Definitely
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

Is it $17.50 at the begining?

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Is it $17.50 at the begining?

Yup. You win the hypothetical $5. Go buy some hypothetical pie.
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

Hmmm maybe chicken and mushroom pie

lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

You stand at a fork in the road. Next to each of the two forks, there stands a guard. You know the following things: 1. One path leads to Paradise, the other to Death. From where you stand, you cannot distinguish between the two paths. Worse, once you start down a path, you cannot turn back. 2. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The other guard always lies. Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to distinguish between the two guards.
You have permission to ask one guard one question to ascertain which path leads to Paradise. Remember that you do not know which guard you're asking -- the truth-teller or the liar -- and that this single question determines whether you live or die. The question is: What one question asked of one guard guarantees that you are led onto the path to Paradise, regardless of which guard you happen to ask?

I will answer after the next 3 guesses. don't cheat please.

bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

I'be heard that riddle before so I'm not gonna answer it

Mistersadman
Mistersadman
26 posts
Nomad

You stand at a fork in the road. Next to each of the two forks, there stands a guard. You know the following things: 1. One path leads to Paradise, the other to Death. From where you stand, you cannot distinguish between the two paths. Worse, once you start down a path, you cannot turn back. 2. One of the two guards always tells the truth. The other guard always lies. Unfortunately, it is impossible for you to distinguish between the two guards.
You have permission to ask one guard one question to ascertain which path leads to Paradise. Remember that you do not know which guard you're asking -- the truth-teller or the liar -- and that this single question determines whether you live or die. The question is: What one question asked of one guard guarantees that you are led onto the path to Paradise, regardless of which guard you happen to ask?

Can I ask each guard one question or is it only one question asked to either.
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,386 posts
Shepherd

Ask them for the time, or what day it is. So you'll know the true time, or the true day, and the liar will have to tell you otherwise.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

This one is old and I think I saw it at least 5 times on AG. But here is the answer.
I only get to ask ONE question to any one guard, so I will go to any one guard and ask him " what door would the other guard show me if I ask him for door of death?"

Whatever door he show me I will take that door.

coz if that guard is the one speaks the truth, he will have to show me the door that the lying guard would show when asked for the door of death, which would infact be the door to paradise.

and if the guard who answers my question is the lying guard he will have to show me the door of paradise, coz he has to LIE that the true speaking guard would have shown the door of paradise when asked for door of death (refer my question), so in any scenario both guards had to show me the door of paradise.

So I would straight walk into it.
gman144
gman144
156 posts
Blacksmith

a cowboy rode in on Monday,stayed 3 days and left on Monday.how is this possible ?

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

a cowboy rode in on Monday,stayed 3 days and left on Monday.how is this possible ?

The horse is named Monday. Bam, done.
So, First things first. Since it has been a few pages since I asked my hat riddle, I guess I might as well answer it.

So, here is how it works: if the first guy sees an odd number of red hats, he says red. If he sees an even number, he says green. And that's it. It is that simple.

Think about it: if the first guy says red and the second person in line sees an odd number of red hats, then he knows his hat must be green. Because if his hat was red, then the first guy would have seen an even number of red hats, and would have said green.

Then, the third guy can use what the second guy said and what he can see to figure out if (not including his own hat) there is an odd or even number of red among the other 99 people. Then, just like the second guy, he can use what the first guy said to figure out his own hat color. And so on.

See? Simple.

Okay, here is a new riddle
It's just like the other "fork in the road" riddle, except in this version, there is only one guy. He either always tells the truth, or always lies. But, you don't know which! So, what is one question you can ask him that will point you to the right door? Remember, you can only ask one question. So, if you ask something like "what is 1+1?" you will have figured out if he lies or not, but you still won't know which door is correct.

So, go for it!
divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

@above
you just turn around and walk away. That simple.
JK I have no idea...
My riddles:
The one who makes it sells it. The one who buys it doesn't use it. The one whose using it doesn't know he's using it. What is it?

It's more powerful than God.
It's more evil than the devil.
The poor have it.
The rich need it.
If you eat it, you'll die.
What am I

Hint: "It" is a word

I don't know if I should put the answers...

Showing 61-75 of 96