Nomad

this is a page for mind-twisting riddles

• 96 Replies
divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

Oh and I forgot one:
A horse is tied to a 15 ft. rope and there is a bail of hay 25 ft. away from him. Yet the horse is able to eat from the bail of hay. How is this possible

lol this one drove me crazy!

kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

@divy1324,

The answer to the first one is nothing!

Nothing is more powerful than God.
Nothing is more evil than the devil.
The poor have nothing.
The rich need nothing.
If you eat nothing, you will die.

The answer to the second one is that the other end of the rope isn't tied to anything. At least I think...

Now here's a riddle...

The one who makes it sells it.
The one who buys it doesn't use it.
The one who's using it doesn't know he's using it.
What is it?

kuffyruff
kuffyruff
207 posts
Jester

Accidentally copied and pasted divy1324's riddle. Sorry about that. Anyways, I think the answer is a coffin.

The riddle I meant to post was this one:

A boy was at a carnival and went to a booth where a man said to the boy, "If I write your exact weight on this piece of paper then you have to give me $50, but if I cannot, I will pay you $50."

The boy looked around and saw no scale so he agrees, thinking no matter what the carny writes he'll just say he weighs more or less.

In the end the boy ended up paying the man $50. How did the man win the bet?

bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

A horse is tied to a 15 ft. rope and there is a bail of hay 25 ft. away from him. Yet the horse is able to eat from the bail of hay. How is this possible

say:
x = the horse

- = the rope

+ = the pole that it's attached to

OO = the hay

x----------+----------OO

so..the if the horse is in the opposite direction of the hay it would be able to walk 15ft away from the pole and the hay would be 25ft from the horse but only 10ft from the pole so if the horse walked towards the pole it'll beable to eat it.
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

So, here is how it works: if the first guy sees an odd number of red hats, he says red. If he sees an even number, he says green. And that's it. It is that simple.

Think about it: if the first guy says red and the second person in line sees an odd number of red hats, then he knows his hat must be green. Because if his hat was red, then the first guy would have seen an even number of red hats, and would have said green.

Then, the third guy can use what the second guy said and what he can see to figure out if (not including his own hat) there is an odd or even number of red among the other 99 people. Then, just like the second guy, he can use what the first guy said to figure out his own hat color. And so on.

See? Simple.

I'm not sure this will even work, let's say there are 86 red hats and 14 green. The devil will put 14 green hats in a random order so it could be the fourth person gets a green hat then the 48th then 57 then 68 and so on. So the first person will count an even number of red hat's he'll say green but there's no way of knowing for sure, same with the guy thats second he'll say green when it will be red and the third guy will say red which will be right but i don't think this saves 100/100 or 99/100 whichever one you said
lozerfac3
lozerfac3
978 posts
Farmer

Why don't I see my post. I said something like flamabafloo. I'll try your riddle aknerd. . . Nevermind.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

I'm not sure this will even work, let's say there are 86 red hats and 14 green. The devil will put 14 green hats in a random order so it could be the fourth person gets a green hat then the 48th then 57 then 68 and so on. So the first person will count an even number of red hat's he'll say green but there's no way of knowing for sure, same with the guy thats second he'll say green when it will be red and the third guy will say red which will be right but i don't think this saves 100/100 or 99/100 whichever one you said

Okay: First of all, the red=odd, green= even rule only applies to the first person. Everyone else uses what the first person said and logic to figure out their own hat color. What do you mean "there is no way of knowing for sure?" It can be assumed that everyone in line knows how to count, and will not make stupid counting mistakes. Now, the exact number of red hats doesn't really matter anyway. Just whether they are odd or even.

So, in you example, the first three people are wearing red hats, right? Then, first of all, the first guy would say RED, not green. This is because he is not able to see is own hat, and would see 85 (an odd number) of red hats.

Then, the second guy would say RED as well, why? Because he sees 84 red hats (86 red- his own- the first guys= 84). But, he knows that the first guy saw an odd number of hats, be he sees an even number. This only makes sense if there is a red hat that the first person can see that the second person cannot see. The only hat that fits this description is, of course, the hat that the second guy is wearing.

Now, the third guy sees 83 red hats, right? But, he ALSO knows that the second guy said "red". So, he knows, not including his own, that there are at least 84 red hats. Yet, he knows that the very first person saw an odd number of red hats. So, using the same logic as before, he MUST have a red hat.

Okay, Fourth guy: He sees 83 red hats as well. But, he also knows that the first two guys said red, making it 85 red hats total. He knows that the first guy also saw an odd number of red hats. So, lets think about it:
1) If he was wearing a red hat, than the first guy would have saw 86 red hats, but that's an even number.
2) So, he must be wearing a green hat, by default.

And so on.

So, a few things you have to keep in mind:

1) Everyone knows that the first person can see everyone's (not including the first person, who doesn't really count since we know we cannot save him) hat. They know that he has the most complete knowledge about the other 99 people in line.
2) Everyone knows the color of the hat of the other 98 people in line. Therefore, there is only one hat (their own) that differs from what the first guy said.
3) If what they can see/hear agrees with the first guy, then they must have a green hat. If it disagrees, then it must disagree because their own hat is red. Think about it: the ONLY way the first guy could see an odd number of red hats among the 99 people, but someone in the line to know that among the other 98 people there is an even number of red hats, is if his own hat is the "missing" red hat. This is by virtue of the fact that any even number +1 is an odd number.
bleachfairytail
bleachfairytail
36 posts
Nomad

Okay: First of all, the red=odd, green= even rule only applies to the first person. Everyone else uses what the first person said and logic to figure out their own hat color. What do you mean "there is no way of knowing for sure?" It can be assumed that everyone in line knows how to count, and will not make stupid counting mistakes. Now, the exact number of red hats doesn't really matter anyway. Just whether they are odd or even.

So, in you example, the first three people are wearing red hats, right? Then, first of all, the first guy would say RED, not green. This is because he is not able to see is own hat, and would see 85 (an odd number) of red hats.

Then, the second guy would say RED as well, why? Because he sees 84 red hats (86 red- his own- the first guys= 84). But, he knows that the first guy saw an odd number of hats, be he sees an even number. This only makes sense if there is a red hat that the first person can see that the second person cannot see. The only hat that fits this description is, of course, the hat that the second guy is wearing.

Now, the third guy sees 83 red hats, right? But, he ALSO knows that the second guy said "red". So, he knows, not including his own, that there are at least 84 red hats. Yet, he knows that the very first person saw an odd number of red hats. So, using the same logic as before, he MUST have a red hat.

Okay, Fourth guy: He sees 83 red hats as well. But, he also knows that the first two guys said red, making it 85 red hats total. He knows that the first guy also saw an odd number of red hats. So, lets think about it:
1) If he was wearing a red hat, than the first guy would have saw 86 red hats, but that's an even number.
2) So, he must be wearing a green hat, by default.

And so on.

So, a few things you have to keep in mind:

1) Everyone knows that the first person can see everyone's (not including the first person, who doesn't really count since we know we cannot save him) hat. They know that he has the most complete knowledge about the other 99 people in line.
2) Everyone knows the color of the hat of the other 98 people in line. Therefore, there is only one hat (their own) that differs from what the first guy said.
3) If what they can see/hear agrees with the first guy, then they must have a green hat. If it disagrees, then it must disagree because their own hat is red. Think about it: the ONLY way the first guy could see an odd number of red hats among the 99 people, but someone in the line to know that among the other 98 people there is an even number of red hats, is if his own hat is the "missing" red hat. This is by virtue of the fact that any even number +1 is an odd number.

yh i get it now
TangleTalon
TangleTalon
40 posts
Nomad

I am a vessel without hinges, lock, or lid. But within my walls a golden treasure is hid. What am I?

A plan crashes on the border of North America and Canada. Where do you bury the survivors?

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

A plan crashes on the border of North America and Canada. Where do you bury the survivors?

You don't bury survivors. They are still alive.
Mistersadman
Mistersadman
26 posts
Nomad

I am a vessel without hinges, lock, or lid. But within my walls a golden treasure is hid. What am I?

Goldfish bowl
kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

2 fathers and 2 sons go fishing. they each caught 3 fish, but in the end there were only 9 fish, why?

(they didnt lose any fish)

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

2 fathers and 2 sons go fishing. they each caught 3 fish, but in the end there were only 9 fish, why?

Because one was a grandfather. The other was his son, or the dad. The third person was the boy. Their for their were only 3 people.
psychoraven
psychoraven
311 posts
Peasant

Im full of holes but filled with water, what am i?

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

The answer is an egg. I usually don't just jump in like this with answers but it was killing me that no one was guessing this one correctly.

As for the other unanswered riddles, I'll leave them to the rest of you to figure out.
Showing 76-90 of 96