ForumsWEPREuthanasia- The Right To Die

52 21014
SamuelFire
SamuelFire
25 posts
Nomad

I couldn't find this thread anywhere so apologies if it already exists.

What's everyone's thoughts on the practice of euthanasia on a patient who asks for it? What about withholding life support for someone who is clearly not going to wake up?

• 52 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

If they really wanna die, why not? They should be awared of the consequences of death though before making their final decisions. Like not being able to live and ****. idk im not an expert

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Like not being able to live

tell that to a christian and they will go like.
noooooo, you gonna live whit jebus and gody in heaven.
the perfect world. blahdiebullcrap.....
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

The problem, to me, is that the actual person, the "sane" mind is not in control, and the "sane" mind probably doesn't want the assisted suicide. I say sane as in the true person that has been there since birth, not "the other" who takes control.

Sane or insane, a person should be able to end their own life or ask another to end their life. Simple as that. I am not in a position, nor are you or any expert, to judge whether someone should end their life. It is his life and he owns himself, not some expert. If I own my body, I should be able to do whatever I want with my body.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Put yourself in the situation. What about your kids, your family. important life lessons could, and often do, come about. I learned this the hard-way when a close family member died. Yes, she was in pain, but she still managed to teach me important life lessons that I will remember for the rest of my life, lessons that would not have been there if she opted out of the living.

The problem with society today is that many people believe that what you do to yourself will not affect others. A day can be the difference between a broken family that hates one another, or a family that strengthens the people in there family, and those around them. And look to the future to the kids, as well as the grand-kids, and the great grand-kids, and the great great great grand-kids etc. One person can influence an entire generation, no matter how subtle.

~krill11

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Sane or insane, a person should be able to end their own life or ask another to end their life. Simple as that. I am not in a position, nor are you or any expert, to judge whether someone should end their life. It is his life and he owns himself, not some expert. If I own my body, I should be able to do whatever I want with my body.

You're missing the point entirely. Yes, you are able to do what you want with your own body, but what if it's not "I"? What if it's not you who's making those decisions, but some entity that lives in your head and takes the steering wheel from time to time?
What is this entity? It's the "other" in a person with DID. When a person has DID.
Dissociative identity disorder (DID), also known as multiple personality disorder,[1] is a mental disorder characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states that alternately control a person's behavior, and is accompanied by memory impairment for important information not explained by ordinary forgetfulness.

From wikipedia

*WARNING: HYPOTHETICAL EXAMPLE* So let's say you have DID. You regularly are a completely normal functioning human being. You get good grades in school, you have a job, and good friends. Now, DID is common with people who went through severe physical or sexual abuse.
People diagnosed with DID often report that they have experienced severe physical and sexual abuse, especially during early to mid-childhood,[22] (although the accuracy of these reports has been disputed.[2])
from wikipedia
Yes, I know it says that the accuracy has been disputed, but this is often times true. Anyways, your brain tries to shield off those memories as a child, but it eventually rears it's head as a separate identity, which sometimes takes over. I watched a case on ABC Were this woman went through severe sexual abuse as a child, and because her brain tried to block it off, it developed this "other." This other identity blamed the "real" her for it, and she, as the other identity, would hurt herself and try to kill herself.
This brings me to my point. Put yourself in those shoes, and if you were not in control, you would still be ok with another entity inside of you making a decision to commit assisted suicide? Even if the real you didn't want to?

I'm not arguing whether or not if people have a right to. I think they have every right to. What I'm saying is that people who show symptoms of disorders like DID, or schizophrenia, or any other personality- altering disorder should be caught if they were going to go to a doctor's office to get a lethal injection. The best way to do that is a full psychological profile to make sure that the person who wants to commit assisted suicide is a fully- functioning human being with all the screws in his/her head. If they're not, then they can't truly be trusted to make those types of decisions on their own.
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

You're missing the point entirely. Yes, you are able to do what you want with your own body, but what if it's not "I"? What if it's not you who's making those decisions, but some entity that lives in your head and takes the steering wheel from time to time?

I've said this before, I don't care if it's not really "him." The &quoterson" making the decision is in his body.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

One wants to live, one wants to die, the same body, and (seemingly) no way out.

-"You did this, its your fault, we should kill ourselves."
"No, I can work through this, We can be all right!"
-"Why should you get forgiveness when you caused this horrible thing to happen?"
"But, it wasn't my fault!"
-"You know it is, end it now! Now! NOW!"
"NO"
-"If you won't kill us, i will find someone else who will, to make you pay for what you have done to us!"
"No! You...You...You wouldn't"
-"Yes, Yes I will."

Doesn't this kinda remind you of Gollum? who is the one who should decide?

~krill11

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

DID doesn't mean you have some kind of foreign entity in your head... it's just two personality aspects of one consciousness. But such a person should be treated by a psychiatrist, unless an expert or family member can speak to the person in a moment of lucidity and he/she asks to die.

Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

Doesn't this kinda remind you of Gollum? who is the one who should decide?

As far as I know, that almost never happens. I could care less "who" kills himself, and if he doesn't want to kill himself, then the family is to blame. Either way, I still don't see why the federal or state government should involve itself.
Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Just an example, but it gives the perspective of two people living in one body and their perspective's. One might want to die, wile the other wants to live.

I could care less "who" kills himself, and if he doesn't want to kill himself, then the family is to blame.

Not necessarily, though maybe true in some cases, not all. As I see it, there are two simple answers, one is kill everyone and never have the problem come up again, or not doing it. If you do all you can, but they still die, than it is sad, but less tragic. If you killed them but they would have fully recovered otherwise from whatever physical or mental thing they were dealing with, that is a lot of guilt for you, and metal trauma of the mental ghost revisiting you. Ghosts may or may not be real, but memories definitely are and they can haunt you worse than any ghost.

~krill11
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

DID doesn't mean you have some kind of foreign entity in your head... it's just two personality aspects of one consciousness.

Pots and Kettles...

As far as I know, that almost never happens. I could care less "who" kills himself, and if he doesn't want to kill himself, then the family is to blame. Either way, I still don't see why the federal or state government should involve itself.

As far as you know... so you don't know much. And how is the family to blame, exactly?
Kevin4762
Kevin4762
2,421 posts
Nomad

As far as you know... so you don't know much. And how is the family to blame, exactly?

Can you prove to me that people with dual personalities often kill themselves? Can you prove to me how therapy makes these people not want to kill themselves?

The family is to blame because they are the ones with the moral obligation to provide him the therapy, not me or anyone else.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Can you prove to me that people with dual personalities often kill themselves? Can you prove to me how therapy makes these people not want to kill themselves?

here you go

The family is to blame because they are the ones with the moral obligation to provide him the therapy, not me or anyone else.

I never said you had to. In fact, therapy, unless necessary, should not be paid by taxes. The family does have that obligation, but no one ever said that therapy was a treat- all.
PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,708 posts
Nomad

my beliefs on suicide or assisted suicide is that it is the cowards way out

Arrrgh, I hate it when people say that. What happens if you are living in a third world country, you're a young lady of let's say 20-24 years old, you live in shanty houses the size of someones kitchen for your whole life, you have an abusive husband who beats you every day, and you have disabilities + no right arm and you get ***** nearly every day of the week for years and you're starving + have aids and you weigh less than 100 pounds. Are you still a "coward" for wanting a way out?

Before someone says it's a "cowards" way out you should first be in the worst situation possible. Considering the fact that you have a computer with internet and you play armorgames I doubt you have had one of the worst lives possible, so you shouldn't be speaking in my opinion.

Morale obligation? That makes me laugh. Just because your DNA looks similar to someone else you are required to perhaps spend thousands of dollars to cure some. Nah just because your blood particles look alike to someone else you have no more moral obligation to help them than some random bum off the street.

No, in my opinion it is the governments responsibility to determine if the person should be allowed to commit suicide or have assisted suicide or even to treat the said person. The government is here for the people, to help the people and appointed by the people. The government is the peoples servants and appointed to carry out the populations wishes.

Ideally the government is supposed to do this anyways.
PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,708 posts
Nomad

[quote]Just because your DNA looks similar to someone else you are required to perhaps spend thousands of dollars to cure some one?

That is what I meant to say...

Sorry for double post.

Showing 16-30 of 52