ForumsWEPRYo! Where is everyone? You all at church worshiping Glob?

29 9387
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

The topic title is a quote from Adventure Time. Glob is a made-up god on the show.

Made-up religions designed specifically for entertainment purposes have always fascinated me. A lot goes into creating them, and they can sometimes take the public by storm, such as the Church of Trek.

What do you think of them?

• 29 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,379 posts
Shepherd

I'm also surprised at the amount of time and detail people can put into their fake religions. Like this one. It's kind of funny. I thought the Adventure Time one was interesting to. I was surprised to find out it was based on an actual person. The Adventure Time god stopped being interesting to me after that.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Minecraft has several religions. I've encountered a faction where they had a god called Chet. Some idolize Notch, most become dwarves and forsake religion for building and technology.

StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

Are those ingame religions though, or real people making a religion from game-related stuff?

I wonder if the spaghetti monster cult should be treated as that.

It's a little primitive though, like those ancient religions based on myths, but those at least told something about mans place in the universe and handled post-death issues. What do entertainment-based cults handle? Aside for sheer heresy agaisnt the 1st commandment (if one was a christian\\jew\\muslim before)

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

everyone that thinks that in-game religions (wtf "in-game religions"? =S ) are real should seek a doctor.
as for the spaghetti monster. that's just a made up &quotokemon" that became popular as a substitute for god in atheist vs religion debates.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't really have an opinion on this, as I don't care what most people want to do with their time or worship, but reading this thread reminded me of that thread Mage created in the tavern. Think he created a religion and a lot of people participated in it, was funny, but I can't find that thread for the life of me.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

but reading this thread reminded me of that thread Mage created in the tavern. Think he created a religion and a lot of people participated in it, was funny, but I can't find that thread for the life of me.

Ah, the Sandwhich God. That's right.

Are those ingame religions though, or real people making a religion from game-related stuff?

Both, really.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Oops, forgot to post the link.

From the magic of Google,

Atheists make a god

PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,708 posts
Nomad

I'm also surprised at the amount of time and detail people can put into their fake religions.

I'm not really surprised, something like making a fake religion is like any other hobby, some people could just find it fun and interesting, like playing soccer or hockey or even making a book.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

al hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster! look for it, its one of the best of them. i realy want to change my ID to &quotastafari" lol .

SteveeXb
SteveeXb
490 posts
Templar

In Skyrim there is a fake religion. They worship Talos. (who has a lot in common with Jesus i might add)

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

In Skyrim there is a fake religion.

Fake to us, but Talos is proven in-game.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

In Skyrim there is a fake religion. They worship Talos. (who has a lot in common with Jesus i might add)

The two have almost nothing in common...
But yeah, there's a multitude of religions and cults in the TES games. There's also the mythology in Tolkien's writings. Made-up religions are common in entertainment media. But they have a different purpose than those like the FSM or Pink Unicorn.

I think most serve their purpose of either entertaining, animating creativity, or making think people about what exactly a religion is.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

There's also the mythology in Tolkien's writings.

Which, you would know this if you have read the Silmarillion which you should, is based on the Bible story of creation. So, not really a fake religion.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Which, you would know this if you have read the Silmarillion which you should, is based on the Bible story of creation. So, not really a fake religion.

I know this. But only because someone imvented a religion based on another, means it isn't fake? Have you ever heard of people worshipping Illuvatar and chasing Melkor acolytes? Granted, it would be funny, but it's not really a real religion either since it was made up. I know that Tolkien just wanted to create a mythology for England that doesn't really have one. But it is invented in one piece, you cannot compare it to other mythologies that used to be established and that were built up piece by piece.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Yes, but that's only one of the eight major deities (if I remember right) in TES. Talos is the God that the Nords worship, which is actually shut down by the Talmor. There are also the Daedric princes that some worshiped, as well as the dragons.

Anyways. Made- up religions, even ancient religions, that people worship is just for fun. For example, I like to pretend to believe in the ancient viking Gods (i.e. Thor, Odin, Frej, and the like). They have every right to. And if they actually believe it, more power to them. But it's fun to think about "fake" religions and myths, whether they come from a video game, or a book, or a movie, or whatever.
As for the spaghetti monster, all I know is that it's a tool used by trolls to troll zealots.
Showing 1-15 of 29