307 posts
Nomad

what do you think

• 29 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

From going to the Irish smoking ban to the Indonesian "Smoke everywhere" policy i'd have to say yes - we should be able to smoke in bars. But that's the selfish smoker in me who hates standing in the rain outside a pub.

I guess my honest opinion is yes and no.

I think that bars should accommodate a smoking section. I know this doesn't always work, restaurants/pubs that do this don't have good enough separation to the smoke is wafting all around the place anyways. If it's not plausible to have two separate areas and give the customers the choice then I think pubs should at least provide a decent smoking area, with cover, seats and heat - not just ask people to stand outside in the rain.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

No, because lots of alcohol is flammable, right?

I'm right, aren't I.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,826 posts
Nomad

This might interest you guys.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

No, I don't think they should be allowed to smoke. They have already succumbed to the weakness of alcohol, why promote it and let them smoke as well? Plus, second-hand smoking is almost as dangerous as first-hand.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

if the smoking area is in another room with ashtrays and an open window, i would honestly think it would be a good idea to promote business.i don't smoke, and i never will.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

if the smoking area is in another room

^ This.

As a former bar regular, I can tell you that drinking is a much more enjoyable experience when you're not coughing the whole time.

Hell, I can't even walk down the street near a smoker without breaking out into a violent coughing fit. If that's one of my major problems that I want to drink away, it's just going to create a bigger problem if Smokey the Bear is blowing his Newport smoke in my face and I'm drunk enough to pick a fight with a barstool for lookin' at me funny.

So if people wish to smoke in bars, that's fine, but they should be separated from those of us who want to destroy our livers without contaminating our lungs.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I'm pretty sure this in the wrong forum. Then again, if it were in the WEPR forum, we'd be fighting about what the Bill of Rights says instead of logical, present-day stuff.

if the smoking area is in another room

That's really the key thing. Sure, you have the freedom to essentially do whatever you want, but if it damages the rest of society then it is to be deemed dangerous. If you separate the dangerous people from the at-risk people, everyone keeps their rights and stays healthy- well, if they want.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

well, if they want.

Exactly ! Even in the pubs back home, the smoking area is full with a majority of non smokers shockingly. When you go out, and you're with a smoker, you don't want to leave them - as in if all your friends are in the smoking area, you're not going to sit inside by yourself.
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Well, it's private property, so there is little we can do to influence the opinions of the owners save a boycott. And maybe lifting the ban, but when does government ever listen to the people whom they govern?

I stand by the idea of smoking areas. By all means you can smoke, but I don't want to inhale tar and carcinogens.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

If you're drinking you probably don't care much about your health.

Something is going to kill you, and if smoke bothers you that much, you probably need to find something else to spend your worry on.

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

If you're drinking you probably don't care much about your health.

Surely this only applies to drinking excessively.
Having the occasional drink doesn't mean you don't care about your health.
kevin8ye
kevin8ye
572 posts
Nomad

if it's a bar that's JUST a bar, then that's ok, but if it's a restraunt with a bar, then no

Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

Maybe it would make sense for it to be sometimes allowed to smoke in bars, and sometimes not. Like, everyone knows that in bar A, smoking is forbidden on Saturdays and Tuesdays and allowed the rest of the week.

Yet again, I don't think the same rule need apply to all bars, nor need it be enforced by law.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

Having the occasional drink doesn't mean you don't care about your health.

And breathing in the occasional smoke is basically the same thing.
Uysername
Uysername
72 posts
Nomad

Now now skater...there's a difference between intentional risk and unintended risk.

Showing 1-15 of 29