ForumsWEPRAnimals to be slaughtered,tortured.

36 6837
shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

Many animals bred to be slaughtered,when young have their tails cut and sharp tooth pulled out,castrated without any painkillers.

They spent their days in living hell,unable to feel sunlight at their backs.

the most tortured animals,excluding fishes,will be chickens.

once,my mum brought a CD from a temple(i'm a buddist)
which shows cruelty of animals in those places.

it's shows a pig,limbs being chopped and skinned while fully conscious,blinking it eyes and screaming.

cows are hung upside down when killed.throats slid.

discuss how we can stop it and why should we stop animal cruelty to those to be slaughtered,even if they are brought up to be fed to us,humans.

• 36 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ah, I believe this is a revival of a thread from way way back, which had just started when I first joined this forum. It's entitled "Animal Slaughter".

As a quick signpost, the issues in this post are mainly about animal cruelty- the treatment of animals while they are alive and the methods by which we slaughter them (esp. food industry).

Personally I believe it should be paramount that the meat industry, so long as it exists in its current form, should be made to adhere to basic humane treatment of animal standards. In some parts though the details of these standards are being debated.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

But,seemingly,these companies/organisations are treating animals like this to save costs.but what they don't know is mistreating the animals result in less quality meat and animals dying long before they mature.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

I don't understand the hypocrisy that is involved, the companies kill the screaming, helpless animals 24/7; yet, in my area, someone was sentenced to 10 years for slitting the throats of four ducks; why doesn't the meat industry get punished at all?

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I belive this is a big issue with no easy answers as it all depends on the different laws of different countries. If people want to solve this problem there should be an international committee and there should be animal rights and human rights. Their job could be to make laws ensuring animals are humanely killed if need be and it would be their responsibility to enforce these rules. Representatives form all over the owrld should be involved. Its basically like the UN for animal rights , as i belive because it is a global issue it needs a global solution. I myself am not a vegetarian and belive that people should have the right to eat whatever they want, however at the same time i still belive that animals should have rights too.

shermzx
shermzx
564 posts
Nomad

because they've got the license to kill.
companies have license to kill but the method are illegal..
go check this website out
www.peta.com

Squalick
Squalick
68 posts
Nomad

As long as it comes out tasty in the end, I have no objection.

Ahhhhhh... bad joke. Sorry. Not sorry enough to press backspace, but still apologetic.

We don't treat animals in a way that makes them healthy for us to eat, that's for sure. We pump 'em up with hormones, we trap them in cages, we subject them to shock before they die.

I know of one place where the cows have huge fields of grass to munch on, everything's organic, people are paid to massage the cow's muscles all throughout its life so that the meat is really nice when it's time to be slaughtered and they use some method of killing that is instant, so that the muscles don't tense up and so that 'fear' chemicals aren't released into the cow's bloodstream before it dies. I know of this place but the steak they make is a bit too expensive more my taste.

Philosophically, if I eat a cow or a chicken, I want to know that I'm eating a cow or a chicken. It has to have had to chance to actually be a cow and be a chicken, not some caged thing that takes in water and feed and produces excrement and urine until it's ready to be killed, packaged and shipped. I also don't want to be eating genetic experiments or drug-laden corpses.

But, I have to admit, I love meat so much that I'm willing to do it anyways.

There are better ways to produce and consume our food, but they are a bit more expensive. Changing production takes political organization, changing consumption takes personal willpower and sacrifice.

As I feel that there are more important political issues out there, and that my money is better spent on beer than the really expensive cuts of meat, I'm not aiming to change anything in regards to animals and meat right now. But I understand that other people are, and I hope them the best because what they are fighting for will benefit everyone in the end!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I must say. I love my organic meat. Granted, it eats the contents of my wallet about three times as fast, but I can't really go back knowing the difference in quality.

I wonder, though. Whether it would ever be possible to make that price any lower (relative to other foodstuffs, seeing as the price seems to be generally rising very quickly). Social dynamics would have to shift the burden onto the industry but seeing as there's a resistance to change or, as squalick has demonstrated by example, a certain inertial apathy, it'll take a mighty heave to get everybody moving so as to benefit themselves.

...supply and demand! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

Oh shut up, its yummy meat, who cares how they get it as long as it's not diseased or stolen...mmmm....meat

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I have said this in another post already i think but i think it isrelevant here aswell. 20% of the world has 80% of the resources, one of the reasons Africans are starving. Overpopulation is also a factor. By 2050 there will be way many people around due to the natural increase which is estimated at 70%. Like it or not the price of food will get higher and the only practical way of feeding people is by intensive farming. Like it or not it is the only way people in LEDC's will survive and although it is more likely that the animals will have worse living conditions before they are killed it is them or us at the end of the day. Survival of the fittes and all that.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

@ Woody- You are right, food prices will shoot up and we will need more food, however, that would be a reason for less animal agriculture, even the most efficient animals at converting grain into meat (ostriches and chickens) still use up at least four times the grain than meat they produce (cows and pigs use up a heck of a lot more). When thought about this way you realize that with the same amount of resources and less labor, you can feed at least four times as many people, but probably much more as animals take up land and some animals can use up to fifty times their amount of weight in grain. Thus to sate the world's hunger, meat production should go down.

Eric_Cartman
Eric_Cartman
100 posts
Nomad

EC ATITUDE: peta wimp whp cares about animals they all die anyway, humans are the future
normal atitude: have u seen lions hunt? do they look like they care about the prey?

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I am pretty sure that if humans tasted are delicious are cows or pigs...and those animals were the dominate creatures they would do the same things to us.

Besides, try and find me one totally jovial way to kill an animal in order to appease the natural hunger for flesh which people have. I do not think it can be done.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: People starve in Africa because of politics and economics, not agriculture. We could feed them if we wanted to, and even feed them well, but politically and economically it is not something first world nations care about.

I think the OP greatly overstates the cruelty done to animals for food. Yes, some animals are tortured, and some are killed inhumanely, but that is largely a thing of the past in first world nations. A strongly biased CD is probably not the best source of information. Someone with a degree in agricultural science is something I would trust a lot more. Turns out, I have both, and the AgSci degree holder says most animals raised for food have it better than she does.

This doesn't mean I think being vegetarian is a bad thing. On the contrary, it would probably be better for environment, better for our wallets, and better for our health. But the incentive to switch isn't there for most people.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I remember hearing that in some chinese community: "The more the animal suffers, the better the taste [or something like that. >.o]"

To them, killing the animal is like slicing up some salad. No feelings attached. Its just that our principles are conflicting with theirs. It is sad, but it's their culture.

kanethebrain
kanethebrain
242 posts
Nomad

@Eshploded: funny, I've heard the opposite from my Chinese friends. Considering there's more than a billion Chinese in China alone, that's an awfully big brush you're painting with there.

Showing 1-15 of 36