ForumsWEPRObama's Twitter deception

28 8989
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

So I was just listening to El Rushbo, and heard that Obama has about 19 million Twitter followers, but a new web tool has determined that about 70% of those followers are fake. Here is the original New York Times article, the USA Today article, and an example of a website that sells followers (Web of Trust gave it a poor safety rating). Now, I'm not suggesting that Romney isn't buying followers either, even though he has only about 900,000 followers, but isn't this obvious deception of the American people? If Obama will lie about his number of Twitter followers, doesn't it seem likely that he will (and has) lie(d) about other, more important issues?
Thoughts, opinions, and snack ideas are all welcome.

• 28 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

First off.. bleh. It's sick that people are judged/think they're judged on things like social platform fanbases and the like.

Now I'd make sure that it was indeed Obama who bought those followers or if his consultants talked him into it. Then, I'm pretty sure every politician does that, which makes every politician a hypocritic who criticises Obama for that.

It doesn't make it less stupid of course; but that won't change anything for me, honestly.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Then, I'm pretty sure every politician does that, which makes every politician a hypocritic who criticises Obama for that.
Yes, but the point is that he is so obviously lying right in our faces, why do people trust him? It is stupid to think that you are judged by Twitter, but he is just flat out lying.
From the USA Today article:
Both campaigns have denied buying Twitter followers.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Is that webtool 100% trustworthy? Who made that analysis? Who cares if both are flat out lying? Eh, gotta read the articles I guess..

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

buying followers happens all the time.
most company's buy their 1st 5000 followers to make people think that there are more people who follow them.
and to make it come up higher in search engines.

buying over 10million followers is kinda over doing it. xD
but that happens all the time during the usa elections.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

First of all...
Find me one major politician that doesn't have any fake followers. And I bet every campaign denies buying fake followers. So, therefore, your argument works equally well against every politician. So... yeah. Not really a big deal. Its like complaining that Obama is a mere mortal.

Secondly,
The article states that the campaigns deny BUYING fake followers, not that they deny having fake followers. It is entirely possible that these fake accounts followed Obama without being paid. I mean, according to the article Obama would still have WAY more followers than Romney without his fake followers, even if you allowed Romney to keep his. So, "Buying" followers doesn't really help the campaign that much, and just serves as a potential source for backlash.

And what exactly is the deception supposed to be here? That Obama isn't quite as popular as we thought he might be? Did you even know how many followers he had before reading this article? What I care about more, is that if did buy these followers, where did the money come from? This seems like an awful waste of money.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

1.THIS is one of the reasons I think twitter is one of the most overrated things to ever happen on the internet.

2.only mr.limbaugh (as we know him, the sexist man who called ms. fluke a ****t) and his followers would listen, or even care, about this really dull story. I can hear him right now "I"m going to take something really minor about obama's life and blow it up to the size of a hot air balloon. I'm going to make a mountain out of this molehill." this just shows how petty some conservatives are these days.

3. why do you care? I'm pretty sure romney has fake followers as well, maybe even a higher percentage of them are fake (let's face it, he isn't the most glamourous man around). IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL!

-Blade

zakyman
zakyman
1,631 posts
Peasant

Yup. Because lying about hit twitter followers is the same as saying, "Hey, I'm not gonna nuke Russia!" and then turning around and pressing the launch button. It's a complete non-issue that doesn't deserve media attention.

As for snack ideas, I'd say original Doritos

Kalb789
Kalb789
639 posts
Baron

I don't think lying on twitter means you're lying about things that are of national interest...

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

I don't think it's a massive deal in the slightest. It happens.
I don't associate twitter accounts of politics with them since they actually don't tweet - someone does for them. I mean Obama is following my friend in Ireland on twitter. How'd that happen? No idea.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

isn't this obvious deception of the American people?

No, this is just deception of a third-party system with many exploits that make people lead to different, irrelevant deductions. Followers on Twitter does not and should not equal any form of politics or political gaffes. Twitter, in this case, serves the purpose of informing people about measures, upcoming events, or thoughts on said events through Obama's point of view.

If Obama will lie about his number of Twitter followers, doesn't it seem likely that he will (and has) lie(d) about other, more important issues?

If Obama sees that he has X amount of followers, then he will say that he has that many followers and be correct regardless of exploitation. If he knows that there are fake accounts as well as alt accounts for the sole purpose of sockpuppeting his Twitter, then...who really cares? This is Twitter, not the Electoral College, U.N. committee, or a voter population skew.
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Okay, maybe I am being paranoid about this, maybe it isn't a big deal. You're right that nukeing Russia, or the Electoral College are way bigger and more important than Twitter. I don't have a Twitter, nor do I care about it. But the point is that Obama is flat out lying to America, and the proof that he is lying is right is his face, yet he continues to spew lies. Maybe this isn't a big deal with him, since lying, or concealing the truth when the public has a right to know, has always been a huge part of Obama's administration.

BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

But the point is that Obama is flat out lying to America, and the proof that he is lying is right is his face, yet he continues to spew lies. Maybe this isn't a big deal with him, since lying, or concealing the truth when the public has a right to know, has always been a huge part of Obama's administration.

Every administration has lied, however unintentionally. It's what it takes to win. Play the game, tons of people disregard the facts anyway, they criticize it, undermine it, and rarely even read it. Tell them what they want to hear. I don't see why Twitter followers means anything.

Doritos are a classic, but any type of Nacho is a safe bet for a snack.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

the point is that Obama is flat out lying to America

if they don't lie about what they are going to do whit the country.
then you wont be elected president. because the other candidate(s) will lie and get way more votes by doing so.

and they have to work whit the house anyway. so they wont be able to do what they want to.
it's like that whit every elected leader.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

But the point is that Obama is flat out lying to America, and the proof that he is lying is right is his face, yet he continues to spew lies. Maybe this isn't a big deal with him, since lying, or concealing the truth when the public has a right to know, has always been a huge part of Obama's administration.

are you really that petty? do you really equal lying about twitter to a gateway for all of his "lies"? you do realize that you're a fool right? I hope you do, because only a fool will give mr. limbaugh any credibility, and only a fool will believe that twitter deception=grand government conspiracy where the president lies about everything.

like hahiha said, every president lies about something. I recall Mr. Bush lying about why we went to iraq (was it terrorists? defending democracy? I think he just wanted oil, and to look like a good guy in the process by removing a guy who uses chemical warfare).

the point of all of this is that you're entire thread is just a pointless grab at sand. nothing you've said holds any credibility, and therefore your credibility is shot. go back to your hole, nobody believes you.

-Blade
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

I'm pretty sure every politician does that

no they dont
Showing 1-15 of 28