ForumsWEPRShould they start serving alcohol at McDonald's ?

85 22886
Mycal101
Mycal101
307 posts
Nomad

I would go there a lot more often if they did

• 85 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Their beer would be warm and nasty

McDonalds usually tries to make all their products taste good for a low price, so I doubt they'd sell something bad. I don't think they'd sell a new product and not expect a profit.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I can see the ups and downs of it, but is McDonalds really going to apply for a liqour license (where applicable) for EVERY store? I don't think so. If they start serving beer I really don't see a problem, though. I would limit it to two medium (12 oz) beers per customer, though, as to not infest the place with drunk people

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

but what about people who want a beer and fast food and theres no store nearby?

If there's not a gas station or Walmart for miles, there's probably not a McD's.

but is McDonalds really going to apply for a liqour license (where applicable) for EVERY store?

They wouldn't do it everywhere (probably not in the McPlayPlace stores), just a few test locations to start with, then a few more where the demand is high. They almost never jump into an untested idea nationwide.

I would limit it to two medium (12 oz) beers per customer,

That wouldn't work. A group of college guys would all buy seperately and load up one guy anyway. No different than trying to limit milk so people don't try the "gallon challenge".
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

If there's not a gas station or Walmart for miles, there's probably not a McD's.

I'm not sure people would want to walk all the way for a beer, especially if they're eating at Macs.
Conqerer14
Conqerer14
11 posts
Peasant

Personally, i think this is the dumbest question ever.
Mc donalds is a family fast food place. if alcohole is servered, no more kids would want to go.
I'll say no more on this topic.

keeton52
keeton52
928 posts
Nomad

That's what I thought, tried replying and wasn't satisfied. Just sit back and watch the debate. There's some advice if you think the topic is dumb. Don't waste their (the big fellas) forum space. (Geezus I did it too)
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Mc donalds is a family fast food place. if alcohole is servered, no more kids would want to go.
I'll say no more on this topic.

Not so dumb if you think about it. Do you shop at Wallmart or your local supermarket? Does it stock alcohol?

Do you eat at restaurants? Most serve alcohol.

If anything, it might lead to less kids going because parents are worried, but a heck of a load more adults going. Fast food restaurants don't just cater to kids. This you should know.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

mcdonalds is a road-restaurant right?
used to be for the truckers and families on vacation.
and driving + alcohol = FAIL!!

(sure there are loads of mc's in the middle of the city's where truckers can't even go. but they still call themself a road-restaurant.
atleast they do so here)

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

used to be for the truckers and families on vacation.

1) So?
2) Doesn't mean that only truckers or people on vacation go there.
3) Why take away the option?
4) It's their restaurant, if they want to sell a type of beverage there's not much reason they shouldn't be able to.

and driving + alcohol = FAIL!!

Family on vacation = 2 parents (usually) and children, sometimes who are old enough to drive. = more than one person able to drive = people not driving can have alcohol if they want to + 1 cheap beer isn't going to do much anyways.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

1) So?

so?

2) Doesn't mean that only truckers or people on vacation go there.

it would mean the majority is. (i know it isn't now. but it was like that)

3) Why take away the option?

take away the option that isn't there yet?

It's their restaurant, if they want to sell a type of beverage there's not much reason they shouldn't be able to.

depending on the laws of the country.
here you are not allowed to sell alcohol along the highways.
might be their restaurant. but they still have to stay whitin the laws.

Family on vacation = 2 parents (usually) and children, sometimes who are old enough to drive. = more than one person able to drive = people not driving can have alcohol if they want to + 1 cheap beer isn't going to do much anyways.

often enough this doesn't happen and people still drive while drunk.
it's a fact you can't deny.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

All they really need is a liquor license (usually it's easier to get one for beer + wine than for spirits) and to pay the fees and taxes (not like they're financially limited). Other laws like to not allow sales after certain hours or days (some places prohibit Sunday) won't be a real problem.

1 cheap beer isn't going to do much anyways.

It takes about 3 full beers (not light) an hour to make the average person too drunk to drive legally. Since partydevil tends to point out that Americans (especially McD's customers) are overweight, it would take 5 12oz regular beers (total 1.8L) an hour to make a 200lb man possibly hit the limit.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Since partydevil tends to point out that Americans (especially McD's customers) are overweight

i do?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

so?

Why did you even speak if there was no point to your words?

(i know it isn't now. but it was like that)

More of the above. Why speak about outdated and irrelevant things?

take away the option that isn't there yet?

Take away the option of them deciding if they want to sell alcohol or not.

here you are not allowed to sell alcohol along the highways.

And that's fine. Still no reason to not allow them to sell alcohol if they follow the proper procedures.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Take away the option of them deciding if they want to sell alcohol or not.

they made the decision in 1978 or something in germany.

And that's fine. Still no reason to not allow them to sell alcohol if they follow the proper procedures.

and if the procedure say's they can't. then why try to change it?
it's not like you can't buy alcohol on every street corner already.
a restaurant whitout the smell of alcohol around is nice. (let's not talk about the other smells now. xD )
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Thinking of it, the youth won't be a problem if McDonalds serves alcohol. It'll be just like any other shop; underage often still are able to buy alcohol because the age limit isn't the most strongly enforced law. And knowing what sort of idiocies young people these days invent, I'd rather see a bunch of teenies drinking beer in McDonalds than seeing them roaming the streets with vodka-soaked tampons up their... anyway you get the point. More normal drunks, less binge drinking.

Showing 46-60 of 85