ForumsWEPRWho's racist?

36 12101
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

I've been racking my brain about the racism issue for a while because me and a couple of friends on xbox live have been called racist a couple of times.

I was in a game lobby and in a good mood so I started humming. Some guy told me to shutup but naturally I ignored him. Then he started calling me racist which most definately made me stop and I asked him, "What are all happy humming people racist?" and he said "Yes."

IN another occurence I was with friends and we were playing CODMW3 playing demolition we won and I got the final kill. There was a bit of poor sportsmanship as one guy said my final kill was racist. My friend came into my defense and he eventually was called racist.

Now here is something a bit more serious, and what I think is childish, the republicans are being called racist by certain media and democrats. I know the republicans aren't racist and I know there are black and hispanic republicans. But they keep getting called racist people.

Really dude! Who's racist? I'm not! I know many republicans are not! Enough with calling people racist dude! I'm sick of it!

• 36 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The cases of you being called racist on xbox live and games is most probably, as you said, poor sportsmanship. Before people said noob, now apparently they say racist? I dunno. Maybe it has to do with certain circumstances you didn't tell us about

About the republicans.. it reminds me of the main rightwing party in my country. It has a strong xenophobic reputation and some wouldn't hesitate to call them racist; but why is that so? Because of certain people in the party who are like that. And because the political guidelines of the party offer the possibilities of being that way, even though the more moderate members would exclude the extreme cases. The party in itself is not racist, but there have been one or two cases recently of members being critiziced, one now being excluded, due to racist tweets. And of course, when you constantly hear only about those cases, you start to think that all of the party is like that.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

i'm just going to say a few things on this:

1.you're complaining about people on COD? there are worse things they can call you than that. people who complain about trolls on a video game take that game way too seriously.

2.people are stupid. in this case, their vocabulary isn't large enough to call you just plain annoying, so they call you something that has been confirmed as one of the worst things to be this day and age.

3. that term is so overused that it isn't even funny. some politicians are catching on to this fact and are now throwing that card in even the most asinine of moments to sway the idiot vote.

overall: quit complaining.

-Blade

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

it reminds me of the main rightwing party in my country. It has a strong xenophobic reputation and some wouldn't hesitate to call them racist; but why is that so?

the only thing i remember of that party is that 1 of those racist guys in the party was leader at that moment (not sure if it was when the party came to existence. but i guess it was) and there was a good chance that it was going to be the biggest party. the party leader was giving speeches that sounded allot like how hitler did it.

all whit all it was reminding allot of people of that time.
but after that i never heard anything special of the party anymore.
we also have such racist party in our politics. =(
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

Now here is something a bit more serious, and what I think is childish, the republicans are being called racist by certain media and democrats. I know the republicans aren't racist and I know there are black and hispanic republicans. But they keep getting called racist people.

Its mostly because the loudest republicans seem to be racist, and that the republicans in congress randomly decided to block everything the democrats wanted during the term of the first african american president. I'm not saying they actually are, but a lot of things they say and do sure make it look like they are. Its by no means all republicans, but like most large groups the loudest get the most attention and generate the labels for the entire group.
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Its mostly because the loudest republicans seem to be racist, and that the republicans in congress randomly decided to block everything the democrats wanted during the term of the first african american president. I'm not saying they actually are, but a lot of things they say and do sure make it look like they are. Its by no means all republicans, but like most large groups the loudest get the most attention and generate the labels for the entire group.

I may know who you're talking about but just in case, could you give me some names?

Also I think I take things seriously when people call me racist. I was ganged up on by a bunch of blacks so they could call me racist for no reason on COD for crying out loud! I've been hearing a lot of players being called racist while they were just chatting about school or communicating with each other so they can win! I hear this stuff way too often and I want it to stop!
Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

I may know who you're talking about but just in case, could you give me some names?

I've all but stopped paying attention to names of politicians, I can't name any off the top of my head.

I hear this stuff way too often and I want it to stop!

Its not likely to stop anytime soon. The one time it happened to me was in real life and I called the kid out on it, he didn't even know how to respond, but I doubt it would work for most people or online at all.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I was ganged up on by a bunch of blacks

how do you know they were blacks?

call me racist

if they do that, tell them that their intolerance for you, and the refutable accusation that you are racist, makes them the true racists.

I hear this stuff way too often and I want it to stop!

again, it's morons from COD, who cares what they think?

-Blade
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

The Republican Party as a whole is not a racist party, but there are definitely racist Republican members (or even a large group of Republicans with racist tendencies that have created their own little group *sneezeteapartycough*), and because of these racist Republican members, the group as a whole gets looked upon in negative ways instead of the individuals (*analogy time* like how SOME cops abuse their power, while a majority of police officers do not. Yet Cops as a whole are looked at as &quotigs" and abusers of power)

StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

It is a sad observation I've made that anything primarily intended to protect against abuse will, if given sufficient time, lose its original purpose and become instead a tool for abusing the other side.
It's all about fighting - once you start you can't stop. If you've once fought for equality and achieved that goal you'll just keep on going to break the balance in the other direction for a change.
It's starting to be so with racism, it's starting to be so with feminism, it's starting to be so with homosexualism.

Funny thing with that - if you can assume they're black and not able to make certain that you're not - just call them whatever abusive names blacks have for whites. Let's see how they'll react for being called white trash..or if you prefer being polite - just ignore them.

ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

The term racist is now thrown around to make a point of anger or frustration now. Which I am not excusing, just stating my opinion. I take when people call me racist not as an insult it just makes me think of that person with hardly any respect and I usually end up telling them right to there face that I can not stand there every being. The reason I seem to overreact over such things is I first off have a lot of friends that are African-American and Hispanic furthermore, my sister is from china, so things like that fly on me and I end up doing things I may regret later.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

The Racism card. It has an immediate result, it leads from the true topic and makes the subject "toxic" and no one wants to touch it. The bystanders stay how they are, no one wants to get involved if they will be considered racist. It is an effective scapegoat.

"Hey, You stole my money!"~Racist
"You have to do your homework!"~Racist
"You cant pull the racist card here!"~Racist

Those are just the ones that I have heard, the last one was actually to me...

The list goes on. While there is racism in the USA, it has greatly reduced into a minority. It is now a form of bullying, but people do not see it that way. most people will take the side of the accuser, no matter of the facts. A very excellent example is the Zimmerman case. No one believed the facts because they were told that it was a racism encounter. the result? An immediate swarm of angry Americans. It is a problem and I totally agree that it should stop, and stop soon. Thanks for creating this thread!

~Krill11

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Also I think I take things seriously when people call me racist. I was ganged up on by a bunch of blacks so they could call me racist for no reason on COD for crying out loud! I've been hearing a lot of players being called racist while they were just chatting about school or communicating with each other so they can win! I hear this stuff way too often and I want it to stop!

I'm just curious how you know they were a "bunch of blacks"?
Doesn't help your argument.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Er- you remember a few years ago how if someone was upset with your gameplay or your conversation, or perhaps they were eleven and had xbox live you would be greeted with a storm of profanity and referred to as a bundle of sticks multiple times? Apparently now days the word on the street is racist, odd? Yes. I don't even know how it started, but it is a rather strange type of insult. So my advise is not to think about it too much, it's just a bunch of kids who have anonymity and access to strangers. It's really not a very good combination.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I meet racist people online, except in South East Asia, they use Malay as a derogatory. Different insult, same childlike mentality!

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

Well as someone has said before, it's a CoD, what do you expect? If anything, the kids using the word racist in this sense as an insult just want to use a word that's practically taboo in today's society.

I once went out with a negro-singapore girl, and some random people on the street just called me racist for some reason. That word is losing it's meaning from day to day.

Showing 1-15 of 36