ForumsWEPRWho's racist?

36 12120
deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

I've been racking my brain about the racism issue for a while because me and a couple of friends on xbox live have been called racist a couple of times.

I was in a game lobby and in a good mood so I started humming. Some guy told me to shutup but naturally I ignored him. Then he started calling me racist which most definately made me stop and I asked him, "What are all happy humming people racist?" and he said "Yes."

IN another occurence I was with friends and we were playing CODMW3 playing demolition we won and I got the final kill. There was a bit of poor sportsmanship as one guy said my final kill was racist. My friend came into my defense and he eventually was called racist.

Now here is something a bit more serious, and what I think is childish, the republicans are being called racist by certain media and democrats. I know the republicans aren't racist and I know there are black and hispanic republicans. But they keep getting called racist people.

Really dude! Who's racist? I'm not! I know many republicans are not! Enough with calling people racist dude! I'm sick of it!

• 36 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

I once went out with a negro-singapore girl, and some random people on the street just called me racist for some reason. That word is losing it's meaning from day to day.

That reminds me of a Simpson episode, where 'gay' is misused in a similar way...
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lunls1GFm01qak0qdo1_500.png
Kreitmaker
Kreitmaker
290 posts
Jester

Jesus, people calling others "Racist" for no reason whatsoever is just about as stupid as people calling others "Gay" for no reason.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

Well there is some very happy people out there. Look at the progression of the word "gay". And the word "anti" used to mean with something, now it means against something. Words do change their meaning, but this particular transition of the word is very messy...

~Krill11

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Call me racist but what makes me mad is when immigrants come to the US or Canada to escape the countries that treated them like dirt and they keep treating their kids the same way because it's their tradition.
Once you're in our free countries, your kids are also free so give them a break you **** hypocrites!
There, I said it!

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

Really? You people want to know how I know they are blacks? Well you could say it is how they speak. I can easily tell from what land people are from and what race they are just by listining to their voices. I can figure out what country a person is from just by looking at his/her face. On many occassions I sometimes guess what country a person is from and I get it correctly 90% of the time. The other ten percent is when I find out they are from the same country I am in.

Krill11
Krill11
98 posts
Peasant

That's not racism though, Profiling yes, but that may or may not be a bad thing, depending on how it is used.

~Krill11

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

you can call the continents not the countries.
whats the difference between an german and austrian? or someone from kenia and somalia? or a chinese and mongolian?

if you can actually do that. you can make allot of money whit it.

deathbewithyou
deathbewithyou
534 posts
Nomad

if you can actually do that. you can make allot of money whit it.

I don't see how I can make alot of money with that. I also don't see how so many other people cannot tell what nationality to the people they talk to. I mean really, how is it so hard for people to not figure out who other people are?

A bit off topic there.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I don't see how I can make alot of money with that. I also don't see how so many other people cannot tell what nationality to the people they talk to. I mean really, how is it so hard for people to not figure out who other people are?

Nationality is one thing, after all accents can be obvious. It is a little more suspicious when you can get races from speaking, which I can't buy.

A bit off topic there.

Probably because the topic is about a vague thing that allegedly happened on Xbox with only one point of view to back it up? Not much to talk about there...
StDrake
StDrake
194 posts
Lord

Since we're riding off the topic..sorry but ill continue

"race" (putting those brackets there for a show, cause even the term itself is used wrong, "suspecies" might be more accurate, but again there'd probably be a flaw in that) is actually the easiest to tell by the voice, nationalities can be worse, especially prone to mistakes if someone is from an imigrant family or there are a few similar countries. I wouldn't be able to tell an Afghani from an Iraqi for example, Germans and Austrians being a closer one.
Races however form slight physical differences in vocal chords as well. As a consequence it's fairly simple to tell the voice of an african from an asian or caucasian. Mid hues (sorry I'm lacking a proper word for near and middle east people as well as some native americans) are a tad harder, at least when trying to tell apart from whites.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

how is it so hard for people to not figure out who other people are?

oke, here you go.
what nationality does that guy have?
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Look at the old AU chief; Jean Ping. Would you guess he is half Chinese? Probably not. Do Americans or most westerners know the difference or can spot who is Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian?

And that's only race. Wait till we move into nationality. Nothing defines your nationality except your passport. You can be North African, Arab, White, Asian, but also French. You can change nationality.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

Nationality can usually be determined from accent, but it is difficult even then, particularly if you're attempting to make the distinction using a language other than your first.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's quite hard actually. Eg, The Malays here and the Malays in Malaysia speak with the same accent. Then you have the whole regional accent mess.

Showing 16-30 of 36