ForumsThe TavernInternet Explorer 9

19 4672
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

I'm trying to install Internet Explorer 9 and I can't. I get this message: Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer

I've searched in the start menu and control panel and I don't have any version of Internet Explorer installed.

• 19 Replies
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

Well, try going to the Add or remove programs section and try to delete it and re-install it. But there are other great browsers, like Google chrome and Firefox!

I don't how many of you people have said this, but it is not in the Add or Remove Programs section? Do you honestly think Microsoft would give you an easy way to uninstall that? Well guess what? They don't!

They would never let you do that unless it was between a couple of lines of coding, or a handy spyware-filled program!

Although you can turn off IE, you can't completely uninstall it I believe.

Also come on everybody? Get off of GoM's back about who actually wants IE? IE is used and tested everywhere! Web developers have to test their webpage with IE to see if it is compatible.

So you created a different user account and no IE whatsoever?

If it is not too late, try recreating the account.

Or back-up your entire hard drive and reinstall Windows.

I had this problem where I was messing with IE and accidentally turned it off. When I turned it on...it wouldn't work that well as in I couldn't install IE 9 and it wouldn't work without the 64 bit version even though my laptop is 32 bit. Weird huh? Not too mention the control panel selections would not click. -_-

Reinstall of windows and perfect for me.

Is there a quick way to transfer all my saved documents and stuff over to the other account?

Online back up?
External hard drive transfer?
Burn to a CD?
Large flash drive?
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

http://i1099.photobucket.com/albums/g389/AceofSky/GOM.jpg
Forgot the picture I had set up. Sorry about that. Excuse the image size if it is big.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

So you created a different user account and no IE whatsoever?

No, I created another one and IE was already on it. IE8 to be exact, and I was able to install IE9.
Online back up?
External hard drive transfer?
Burn to a CD?
Large flash drive?

No idea how to do any of those. Explanations would be appreciated.
AceofSky
AceofSky
767 posts
Blacksmith

1) There are several sites that do an online backup.
I know some anti-viruses do them, but I am not sure.
If you can pay for the service, then Google for a user-friendly online backup. Check Scam.com first to see if it fits the bill.

If you can't afford the prices/can't find a way to pay them several file hosting websites can be found.

Mediafire, has I believe a 200 MB upload limit per upload. That means you can upload 20 files that are 200 MB each and it is free.
I WOULD STRONGLY URGE YOU TO ENCRYPT/THEN DELETE THE FILES OFF YOUR MEDIAFIRE ACCOUNT!

Anybody and everybody can access the files, unless you encrypt them either with a password based folder in Mediafire, or a simple .rar extension with a password.

4Shared is another option too.

2) External hard drive transfer is extremely simple. You buy an external hard drive. Costs an arm, or two for large quantities and for quality.
You basically plug it in, I believe they are USB based and run off a power outlet.
Then they might have a user-friendly setup, or you could just back them up into the device.

3) If you have CD/DVDs that can hold the amount you need to save you can burn it to them using a CD-R or CD-RW drive which you need. You would also need some software like Nero or Roxio.
Roxio and Nero are user friendly so no trouble there! Don't worry!

4) A large flash drive, basically you plug it in and transfer the files.

If you need examples of these things just let me know. It would be helpful to know how big the documents are?

Also isn't it odd, a year ago you were helping me with AG and now I am returning the favor!

Showing 16-19 of 19