ForumsThe TavernLite and Light

3 1534
Laughable97
Laughable97
125 posts
Nomad

So while looking at Salvidian's "Want to make a game?" thread (Which you should look at now) I saw that the name of the program had the word lite in it. So, I decided to finally search up something that I had been wondering for a long time.

Why the hell is it called lite? Is there really a point? And too my surprise there was...

...no information what-so-ever.

So my question to you guys is, do you have any idea why it is "lite" instead of "light"? It sounds like such a stupid question but it has really been bugging me for ages.

I know most people are going to guess because it looks cooler but somehow I doubt that's the case here.

Please, if anyone knows, tell me.

• 3 Replies
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

This probably isn't what you want to here (as it is a total guess) but I'd assume it was due to the word light having two meanings and to simplify this they decided that the word "Lite" was a better substitute. It must have caught on though.

From the website I found, it said that "Lite" was used quite widely throughout the food industry for a long time, before it caught on to different markets. Apparently the technology department actually started using this a lot more only just recently (Last 5 years) but I wouldn't know why. Now when I think of the word "lite" I think of a simplified product (Because I see it so much in gaming) but I wouldn't see how someone in technology would decide that "Lite" referring to diet would somehow work in programs.

It baffles me.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Lite, as in less. The full version, which is near $100 mind you, contains a few extra features. It's a beginner program, so it isn't neccessary.

Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

Light is bulked up with too many consonants. Lite is much lighter in that regard.

Showing 1-3 of 3