ForumsThe TavernThat awful taste..

17 4482
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

You know when you've had something to eat that had a lot of onions or garlic in it and the taste lingers in your mouth long after you've eaten..

How do you get rid of that taste?

I've cleaned my teeth and I've drank orange juice and tea since I had dinner, but I still can't get rid of the onion taste!

• 17 Replies
MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

It's different for every person of course, as every person is unique. A person can react severely when eating unions or garlic and draws a horrible breath, produces gas (annoyingly familiar... ahuh...) or even makes someone smell like garlic as it seeps through the pores of your skin and then lingers on your clothes, whereas others have little to no problem at all when eating it! =)

And what has been suggested right after the OP by MasterForger is the only known way to really effectively get rid of it's taste and the possible bad breath and that's : Parsley!

Garlic and other members of the allium plant family (onions, shallots, leeks) produce 'cysteine sulfoxide' and this gives them their distinct odor and taste. These sulfuric compounds are very similar to the compounds that are produced by the 'anaerobic bacteria' that cause bad breath.

The Romans were indeed way ahead of their time and discovered that eating a small portion of parsley after every meal easily does the trick as it effectively neutralizes the sulfuric compounds and thus the odor of garlic and onions.

The best way to prevent 'garlic breath' is of course to stop eating it alltogether...

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Hmm, I either use my mouth wash and rinse with this for a while (around 2 minutes), or I have parsley. I read somewhere that it can get rid of bad tastes in your mouth, it works pretty well. And if it is really bad, then I do both of those things and then I am back to having supper minty breath.

Showing 16-17 of 17