ForumsPopular MediaDear YouTube Commenters - Stop Being Stupid

12 4011
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

It's not hard to find YouTube videos where over half the comments are focused on a single hater, one sole troll.

"Dear Roosterteeth

My daughter, recently has been acting bad, cussing and behaving horribly. Saying 'f**k' and 's**t'

I found out my daughter has learned these actions from your Channel. And I would like you remove all your videos from your channel containing cussing words. You have? 5 hours to remove these videos off your channel. Or else i'll contact Youtube to tell them to remove your videos themselves. You have no right to cuss on your channel."

The above quote is a popular copypaste comment used to troll RoosterTeeth videos. If you see this comment, chances are, you're going to see about 50 - 200 responses. I've pointed out the stupidity in responding to such trolls, in which case many people have replied, "It's called counter trolling you moron." Counter-trolling?

Counter-trolling is an art in which you turn the tides around and you troll a troll. You can NOT counter-troll a troll that doesn't give a ****. That said, it's counter-productive to try and counter troll when all you're doing is giving the troll more attention.

People on the internet need to learn what trolls are, because they fail to understand that negative responses only fuel such trollish behavior. To point out, "fail troll is fail" is laughably ironic. When so many people do such a thing, all they do is prove the troll to be successful.

There are many great YouTube videos out there, and good feedback is always something I love to see. But when most of the comments are focused on trolling a troll, they do nothing more than SPAM the comments. They try to fix the problem, but only make it worse.

There's nothing wrong with responding to trolls when nobody else has done so, but when a large number of people already responded to a troll, don't join in.

When it comes to trolls, don't act out impulsively.

/end rant

• 12 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Seeing how I don't have an account I don't really care. But yes, people should just ignore the trolls. Maybe they should just not respond to people at all. I mean, what is the point in responding to comments on Youtube. You will not change their opinion. You are just a random person. Honestly, I just don't see the point of responding to most comments on Youtube.

knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

When you use YouTube a lot, it's bound to become irritating..especially if this happens on your own bloody videos.

Now, if only we could squeeze Nemo's rant into a paragraph short enough to post on YouTroll.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Why the hell the image of a troll deteriorated from a hairy, powerful beast found in remote locations to some super skinny/super fat kid on the backend of a computer typing random stuff is beyond me.

Panthera_Leo
Panthera_Leo
24 posts
Bard

I agree with what you're saying.

I hate how trolls look up videos about topics they know they don't like and probably won't ever change their minds about just to spam and hate. They're just wasting their lives.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

I've seen this all over Youtube.

From RT and Achievement Hunter, to Yogscast.
Ryan Higa even made a video about it.

Though, I doubt the users who flame the trollers will stop themselves. One person gets pissed, starts the flaming, gets the top comment, and everyone else follows.

soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

I've been on YouTube a little and seen this from time to time, but yes obviously the troll's goal is to put himself more in the spotlight by having everyone responding (negatively) to him.

I hate how trolls look up videos about topics they know they don't like and probably won't ever change their minds about just to spam and hate. They're just wasting their lives.

I went on YouTube just now for kicks and the first random video I looked at had a comment that said "i just open this video to dislike it"

But as I don't have a YouTube account I can't really comment/counter-troll anyway.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

I only give constructive criticism and positive feedback. People who go out of their way because they think that trolling makes them cool are stupid. You cannot be remotely cool when your conversation goes like,
-L0l, this guy so stupid make me wanaa kil u
-What?
-lol, u got trulled, u mad?
No. Thats just stupid. I dont seem the motives of this. At all. Or the stupid mindless hate i find. like,
Dear ____, u suck major ****, go die somewhere. I hate u. Because i hate u, you should never make vidos again. u stoopid ****.
....Why? Would you do that in real life? Then shut up.
Grrr, you got my blood pumping over this too.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Most of the comments I see are not that bad actually, but most video's do make bad influences. I see comments containing language that can be rather... disturbing, yes that is the word. I don't understand why people would want to post such content, it has always behooved me. And it always will I guess. If they can be less stupid then that would be great, but there isn't much we can do to effect a person with that mentality...

Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

"It's called counter trolling you moron." Counter-trolling?

AHAHAHAHAHAAAA! That's hilarious! I've never heard that before but its completely ridiculous. The whole point of trolling is to generate negative comments/discussion, period. Doesn't matter what anyone says in response or how logical the retort may be. If it gets replies and pisses people off, the troll has succeeded. To engage them in any form ie counter-trolling is simply playing into their hands. The only way to deal with them, for your own happiness, is to ignore them completely and do Not respond.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Yeah I know what you mean. I see a lot of this on Nigahiga's channel. He's even made videos about the crap people post. xD

Showing 1-10 of 12