ForumsThe TavernMonopoly: The game of life

14 29603
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

As we all know, Monopoly is a game based on life. Paying money, chances, debt, screaming and cursing cause you just mortgaged another house. Ain't it a blast? But of course, when its fake it is more fun if you are a good sport.

This is about your best or worst Monopoly experiences. What character piece do you play with? What version of Monopoly do you think is the best? Put it all here, and if you want some fun stories about your Monopoly games.

When I play Monopoly (the classic version) I buy all the railroads and either the Orange Properties (St. James, New York, and Tennessee) the red properties (Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois) and the light blue properties (Oriental, Vermont, and Connecticut). I ovoid Park-place or Boardwalk cause they are just scam properties. Everyone loves them but there are only 2 dark blue properties and they are expensive to build houses on. I buy them either to sucker someone into buying it, or avoid it completely depending on my mood. I have actually found out some amazing tricks in Monopoly that sound weird but work!

Trick 1: The more you buy, the more money you wind up with! (Im talking like $1000's of dollars)

Trick 2: The railroads are better then the Boardwalk Monopoly, because you have 4 pieces of property and if you buy all of them then you get $200 bucks if a person lands on them (in the classic version).

Trick 3: Do not think when you role the dice. If you think, most likely you will mess up the roll. For instance, if you want to role a twelve then you should not think about it. Thats what I do and it works. I don't know if this works with other people so there are no promises it will work here.

Trick 4: If you use these tips, brag a lot. Then you will piss off the other players a lot and throw there game off.

So yea, I have been playing Monopoly for a while and it still remains my favorite board game.

Any thoughts? Hmm?

• 14 Replies
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

The yellow properties are the key. I've never lost with them and I've never won without them.

redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

I have not played Monopoly in a while. I remember that I bought all the properties along the way. I got some money from that and I slowly would gain enough to buy the pricier ones. This seemed to work alot for me. Wonder if the dice trick actually works. I will remeber that for the next time I play.

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

The yellow properties are the key. I've never lost with them and I've never won without them.

I forgot about those! Yea I love those properties, they are good. But I find them to be pricey depending on my situation so buying houses for $150 can be a bit tight...
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Those, the Railroads, and the reds. Throw in the oranges and greens, and you can't lose.
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

But I find them to be pricey depending on my situation so buying houses for $150 can be a bit tight...

Trust me, it's worth it.

Those, the Railroads, and the reds.

The reds are great too, as are the railroads, but you can win without them. I trade reds for yellows all the time and it always works in my favor.
daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

So pretty much what most of you are saying is to buy all the properties. Cool story guys.

What character piece do you play with?

Gaaa. I honestly don't remember. O, wait. I am the guy on the horse.
What version of Monopoly do you think is the best?

Original. But there are some pretty cool versions out there.
Trick 1: The more you buy, the more money you wind up with! (Im talking like $1000's of dollars)

Trick 2: The railroads are better then the Boardwalk Monopoly, because you have 4 pieces of property and if you buy all of them then you get $200 bucks if a person lands on them (in the classic version).

Trick 3: Do not think when you role the dice. If you think, most likely you will mess up the roll. For instance, if you want to role a twelve then you should not think about it. Thats what I do and it works. I don't know if this works with other people so there are no promises it will work here.

Trick 4: If you use these tips, brag a lot. Then you will piss off the other players a lot and throw there game off.

That's right Mino. Trick them into thinking that is the way to win. Then if you play them they will lose horribly. Hahahaha!

But really, why would I tell you my strategy?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I can't play Monopoly. Too much luck involved. What good are all these supposed "great" properties if someone else lands on them first? You can trade them with your opponents, but if you get an opponent that says no, you basically have to just not land on those properties; which isn't really possible, considering that it's all determined by the dice and not by one's mind.

The game of life

Don't even get me started on that horrid game.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Worst experience is yet to come. I have heard rumors of a monopoly movie T_T

Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

So pretty much what most of you are saying is to buy all the properties. Cool story guys.

Awesome man, just unexplainable-y awesome man.

What version of Monopoly do you think is the best?

Original. But there are some pretty cool versions out there.

I think the Monopoly with the Credit Cards are pretty cool. I think I might want to get that one in the future, just for convenience.... although I hate credit cards, even in real life. I prefer cash.

But really, why would I tell you my strategy?

I never asked you.

That's right Mino. Trick them into thinking that is the way to win. Then if you play them they will lose horribly. Hahahaha!

Your good Daleks.... Im keeping my eye on you..... O_o

I can't play Monopoly. Too much luck involved. What good are all these supposed "great" properties if someone else lands on them first? You can trade them with your opponents, but if you get an opponent that says no, you basically have to just not land on those properties; which isn't really possible, considering that it's all determined by the dice and not by one's mind.

You just made Monopoly sound awful man! I thought the mix of luck and strategy was the fun part... d*mn, anyone else who hates Monopoly?! o.o
zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Major part of the game is decided by the very first round of play: The one who gets Light Blue, Orange and Pink will win, in most cases.

I play Monopoly Europe,by the way. It's just fun to own your homecounrty.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I own the here and now edition and my favorite piece in it is the prius, for the original my favorite is the battleship.

good places to buy (IMO)

Red, purple, and railroads (airports), these all have cards directing people to them. I also like to buy mediterranean (jacobs field) and baltic (texas stadium) because I like the fact that you can fully develop both for 500 dollars (five million).

I don't play much though because I have horrible luck and games last so long.

~~~Darth Caedus

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I thought the mix of luck and strategy was the fun part...

Maybe for some people it is. I'd like the game if it was all strategy-based and not so reliant on luck.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Maybe for some people it is. I'd like the game if it was all strategy-based and not so reliant on luck.

Most people my friend, most people. Not most.

I just played Monopoly now. It lasted around 1 hour. I owned all the railroads, all the light blue properties, and some other things. In the end my mother owed me $450. Im good at this.... lol
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Most people my friend, most people. Not most.

I know plenty of people who hate Monopoly for one reason or another. My little brother and my dad loved the game, but my mother and I could not stand it and we would almost never play it unless we were severely pressured to by the other two.
Showing 1-14 of 14