ForumsThe TavernRP Session #1: The Dark Ages

59 10536
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

So this is going to be the first in what will hopefully be a long series of RP sessions made by me here on the forums. This one is going to be fairly simple one without a lot of unneeded fluff and such.

**Description of this RP session**
This session will take place in a classic D&D time period. Thus, magic and dangerous creatures rule the land. The chance to become a wealthy thief, a famed warrior or a powerful mage are out there. but first, you must read the directions. Even then, survival is not guaranteed...

**Rules**
- Anyone can join in at any point, just as long as they follows the proper creation procedures(to be explain later on in this post)
- Any god-modding of a players characters is not going to be tolerated. So a thief, for example, can not take on a giant in hand-to-hand combat and live let alone take no damage.
- Please keep all language to on the level which is acceptable on the rest of the forums. Same with gore levels. Nothing too...visceral please.

**Gameplay**
- The way it is going to work here is a fairly simple RP fashion. Each character is going to be on his or her own mission and storyline. I will be providing the situations for each character based on several factors, and doing post situation wrap ups(such as how injured the character is, what loot was found, what is going to happen next, etc..).
- I expect to see logical, well developed outcomes and battles when each player makes a post. Sometimes it make be possible to escape some battles and situations unscathed, but not all the time. There will always be a few ways to get out of each situation, and creative minds, sharp minds will often find themselves on interesting and rewarding paths.
- All characters will start off with a generalized set of equipment for each class, but will be granted new items/spells as gameplay goes on.

**Character Creation**
- There will be several basic classes to choose from which will affect gameplay. Example: A thief would not be able to lift/move a very heavy object whereas a warrior might be able to. On the flip side, there is no chance for a warrior to sneak or open locked chest easily.
- Races will not play a major role in this RP, they will mainly for for looks and character development. So feel free to be any traditional fantasy race you like, just do not expect it to change gameplay much.
- More about character creation will be explained further down.

Now to get into the fun parts! Yay!

***Every class starts off with 3 health potions in the start***

**Classes**
Stealth Classes
-Thief: Master of the stealthy arts such as sneaking, locking picking and getting into hard to reach places. Not suited for full on combat against more than one opponent, but does well in the stealth kill area.
-Rogue: The smarmy, slightly more robust cousin of the thief. Not quite as stealthy or as good at opening locked items. Yet a rogue makes up for this with his silver tongue and capable sword arm(So to break it down, he can smooth talk or fight his way out of situations a thief would not be able to).
Stealth Class Equipment
-Thief: A thief will star off with standard thieving equipment, such as basic light leather armour, standard dagger, lockpicking set and a standard short bow with 15 arrows in a quiver to start off with. *Feel free to describe any item as you wish, just know that they will still be basic and not very powerful(Goes for all classes and items).*
-Rogue: A rogue starts out with heavy leather armour, a short/long sword, light shield and lockpicking set.

**Combat Classes**
-Warrior: The typical rush in and beat the tar out of everything class. Very strong but not the best at anything other than killing and lifting. But who needs to sneak around and unlock doors when you can just turn them into kindling?
-Archer: The other side of the combat equation. Would much rather access the situation before heading in. Master of ranged combat, average at best in close quarters combat. An archer has limited sneaking skills, so he has a chance to get the drop on his enemies.
Combat Class Equipment
-Warrior: Starts off with standard iron plate armour, and a choice of weapons(such as long sword, battle axe, mace, two-handed sword, mace). Can also carry a heavy shield if weapon is not two-handed(So if the warrior was a battle axe or claymore no shield can be carried).
-Archer: Starts off with standard iron chainmail armour, standard long/short sword, standard longbow with 50 arrows in a quiver.

**Magic Classes**
-Mage: Ahh, the mage. Arguably the most intelligent of any class, and has the highest damage potential. A warrior may be able to cleave an orc in half, but can he cast a spell into the room and destroy 5 orcs at once? Mages are almost always on some quest searching for knowledge or power. Oh, and did I mention mages have next to no weapon combat knowledge or health? So if one walks into a troll, he better either think really quick or run even faster.
-Necromancer: The twisted, frowned upon brother of the mage. Necromancers also can not deal with typical combat, yet they also do not posses the powerful spells that mages can use. So how do they get by? Well, simple really. Creating undead creatures! Of course, a body is needed first...Necromancers are often never seen since they are hated by most everyone. There are even rumors that through the use of dark arts, necromancers can turn themselves into powerful undead beings.
Magic Class Equipment
-Mage/Necromancer: Both get the same starting equipment. Each mage/necromancer starts off with a standard robe. That is all. but they do get...
Spells
-Mage: Mages start off with a standard fireball spell(range of 15 feet and does splash damage in a 5 foot radius on impact), a standard levitate spell(Magnitude of roughly 5-9 feet in the air at start), and a standard shock damage on touch spell(must be able to touch enemy, does average damage).
-Necromancers: Necromancers start off with a standard drain health spell(range of 5 feet, does average damage), a standard rot spell(does direct damage to health of enemy due to their insides rotting, slows down target to half speed and kills without any other spell/damage within 10 minutes or so), and a raise undead spell(needs corpse near by in order to use).

Now that all that is out of the way, we can really start to have fun!

**Beginning**

When you first start off, follow the form below.

Character name: (Name of character, durr)
ClassSo I know what you are.)
AgeOptional)
RaceOptional)
AppearanceWhat does your character look like?)
BackgroundOptional, but gives me more to run off of for situations)
Goal/Reason for questingOnce again optional, if you want I can make a whole scenario for you)
Starting locationSame as above)

And there you go! All you need to get started on a simple RP session!

Hope you all enjoy, feel free to ask me any questions.

• 59 Replies
steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Before opening the cell exiting the cell, I formulate a plan in my head to get my stuff, because without my stuff, I would have to go through the trouble of stealing more money to buy stuff. So I take out one of my pointy lock picks

(it looks like this)

http://www.lockpicks.com/ProductImages/jp-3.jpg

I silently sneak over to the guard and forcefully plunge the lockpick into his neck. he wakes up and grabs ahold of my throat. I start torquing the lockpick around in his neck hoping to kill him before he kills me. I start to feel the air closing off in my throat. Then finally he goes limp and slumps back in the chair. "That was close" I mtuter under my breath. I easily pick the lock on the chest and run down the hallway to freedom.

Um devoidless am i supposed to decide where I go from here? I have never RP'd before so I was hoping you could help me out a bit.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

It depends on the situation. You choose where you go when I give you a situation, there is a clear "Maybe go there" hint. I will take it from here.

steevo: As you leave the town jail into the fresh night air, you try to look as casual as possible. You wash your hands off quickly in the water trough for the horses. You then calmly walk away and start to strap your armor and weapon back on. You curse under your breath because you realize in the heat of the moment you forgot your pick in the guard's throat. You will still be able to pick locks you think, but just not really advanced ones until you replace it. As you continue walking down the street, you notice a sign on a public message post. The sign reads "New local attraction! The famed Bloodgem of Bal'Za! Located in Lord Gilroy's mansion!"
You whistle softly to your self, thinking how big of a heist that would be. But then again, it is only a matter of time until the dead guard is found...Maybe it would be best to skip town and look for other treasure?
What do you do?

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I see the small group of goblins, but all of a sudden my mind burns with pain. All I see is red, raging fire burning down a town all too familiar to me. Screams is all I here. I don't know what to do. Goblins running left and right setting fire to all that is flammable. On pure instinct, I run to the hills and hide, trying to block out and then......I am back. I now know what I must do. I will kill off four and capture one for information. I can easily point out their leader for he has the helm of a captain. I now devise my plan, for I need to kill 4 and capture one without being killed. A hard task, but I know that with the skill of my sword, I can take them. Down the hills I sneak, and I come up behind the group and SLASH! Three heads fall before me, and the other two jump up. Captain grabs his blade, but not in enough time for me to cut his hand. The last one flees in pure terror. I tie up the Captain with the rope I was given by my good friends, the elves.

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Character name: Alguh (wee)
Class:Stealth Thief
Race:Human
Appearance:6ft girl(duh),blond long hair,black/dark yellow robes and black pants...
Background: When she was a kid a strange guy murdered their parents. Then she started to live in the town without a house,and started to pickpocket every single person...
Starting location:In the forest of <insert name here>. (Please ,can you think a name for me,Devoidless? Thanks.)

PS: Dude,nice idea,nice game,overall,nice
Please let this story last for a long time,if you have the time enough to spend.
Thanks.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

And I am going to start my own. Since I am the lead person, mine is going to end up being more of a fantasy story than real RPing. But oh well. ^_^

Character name: Moklon Zur

Class:Necromancer

Race:Human

Appearance: 6'1 tall human with an average build. Shortish blond hair and blue eyes. Wears a black robe with intricate red details on it. If one looks closely enough to the detail, they will see the details are actually words in a strange language. On his feet are black leather boots, with some unidentifiable liquid spattered and dried on them.

Background: Moklon started learning the ways of necromancy in his mid-20s. That was many moons ago. Through the use of the dark arts, he has extended his life by many years and stopped all aging it seems. However, due to him living so long he has outlived all his family members and friends. He is now alone, save his undead minions.

Goal/Reason for questing: To increase his power tenfold, and see if the rumors of being able to make himself into a lich are true.

Starting location: The middle of a large city, Denpar, in the middle of the night.

Devoidless: Moklon wanders the streets, trying to decide what to do next. Near immortality leaves one with so much time to kill. As he is wandering the streets, his nose detects the stench of cheap alcohol and unwashed bodies. He grins, and walks towards the stench.
Just as he expected, he finds a homeless beggar sleeping behind a local tavern. Unlike most that he has found, this one is fairly young and well built. Moklon looks over the beggar quickly, making sure he is a good specimen. "Hmm...he looks to be in his late-20s, no sign of disease or injuries...must be freshly homeless. Excellent," Moklon says quietly to him self. "Let the fun begin," he says with a grin.
Moklon reaches out with one hand and rests it on the beggar's head. He then mutters several words in an archaic tongue. The beggar awakes and starts to scream, yet it is too late. Moklon's spell has already taken it's course. The beggar's whole body is frozen solid, a look of terror and pain quite literally frozen on his face. After another string of archaic words, Moklon withdraws his hand and pulls out a kit from his pocket. He has to work quickly.
Several minutes later, a more or less bare skeleton lays in the street. The rot spell always does work rather fast on an already dead body. All of it major joints and hinges are reinforced with iron hinges and bolts, to ensure a stable build that should last for as long as needed. Moklon steps back and admire his handy work, he never tires of such fine work. With a final long string of words and hand gestures, the skeleton trembles and sits up. As it pulls itself onto it's feet, there is an audible squeak and squeal of wet bones rubbing against one another. When it finally stands, it directs it's face towards Moklon and stares at him with hollow eyes sockets. It then bows deeply, and waits for further command.
"Ahh, such a well behaved minion! I think I will name you...Zystern. Come now, Zystern, we have much work to do..."

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

And I am going to start my own. Since I am the lead person, mine is going to end up being more of a fantasy story than real RPing. But oh well. ^_^

Haha xD!
I lol'ed when reading that.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

First off, very nice post Estel! I was hoping you would capture at least one of them instead of just kill them all or run off. XD
and glad you enjoy it Alguzara. ^_^
Now back to work.

Estel: After dispatching of the goblins and capturing the captain, you look over the captain. He appears to be fairly old, and has many battlescars. His armour is also damaged in several areas. There is no doubt he has seen his share of conquests. When you look into his eyes, you can see that he is very afraid...yet not just because of the recent attack or his missing hand. You try to ask him questions about your vision, giving great detail about what you can remember about the buildings and the attack. Yet every time you ask him a question, he remains silent and looks away. He begins to pale considerably and you can tell he is struggling to stay conscious. You look down at him, about ready to strike him, when you realize he is sitting in a rather large and ever growing pool of goblin blood. It is only then you remember you paid no heed to his injury when you were binding him in your elven rope....
What do you do?

Alguzara: You are walking through the Balfel forest, named after the nearby town, looking through all the loot your got from the town. You grin, knowing that this will fetch you a pretty penny when you pawn it in the next town. You hear the snapping of a twig behind you, and you see 3 town guards running in your direction, 30 feet away. You curse loudly, wishing you would of went faster. You think quickly about what you should do....You feel the weight of your bow and quiver on your back, thinking you could try and shoot them before they reach you...you also feel the suddenly heavy pull of your dagger on your belt, if it came to that you might be able to at least injure thm and flee. Of course, you think, she who does not fight and runs away lives to see another pay day.
What do you do?

Bigbowla: Thankfully, you are not very injured other than the sprained ankle. You also seem to have lost the goblins in the confusion. As you continue walking, you smell the smoke of a campfire burning. You look around, and see a camp nearby. You heart leaps with joy, it must be where the surviors of your village are being kept! and after finding your mother's brooch, she must be near by. You cautiously approach the camp, yet see no guards. You figure the goblins must of been the ones who own this camp, and quickly rush in to find you mother and others. You enter the first building you see, and you mother is there! You rush to her side, and gently wake her. She awakes, obviously afraid that it was one of her kidnappers. Yet when she sees your face, she smiles widely and starts to cry and says "My son! It has been 3 years since I have seen you! I..I..thought you died."
What do you do?

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Well my character have learned to run very fast through the years pickpocketing ,and i start to run,hoping that those heavy armors that the guards carry make a difference.
For a moment one of them almost reaches me,but then suddenly he falls.I laugh and start looking for a place to hide and pass the night , as i find a nice,very tall oak.
I pass the night,which is very cold, on there...

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

I decide that I better skip town and let things cool off, after just being caught for theft, I do not want to be charged with murder for I will be hanged. But I make a mental note of the gem in Lord Gilroy's mansion. I also need to replace my lockpick for the gem is probably not easy to get to, and that is a lockpick for advanced locks. So I set off to a very small town called Esternwood about 10 miles away. In Esternwood, I know a locksmith that also knows how to make lockpicks. We were childhood friends and he used to help me in some of the larger heists but he decided to retire from the high risk life of crime. There could also be some loot in Esternwood for me to steal. So I set off on the path and about 2 miles into my journey I realize how late it is, so I decide that I should get some sleep. I walk off the path into the woods about 20 meters and fall asleep in a clearing under a tree.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I look at him very sternly, looking at all the pain he has endured through the ages. I see death, torture, pain. All things that any ordinary man could ever withstand. I finally make my decision.

I tell him six words. "You try to run, you die." I loosen the rope very little, so he can move slightly. I bring out my very last medicine vial, and give it to him. I also wipe up his stub arm, and tie the cloth around it.

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

I immediately drop down to my knees and put my hands in the air ordering my soldiers to drop their weapons and do the same. The goblins, intrigued, continue to watch us with bows ready, while their leader clambers down from the trees.
He demands, "What are your kind doing here, you are not welcome in our lands."
I cordially reply, "We are a diplomatic delegation from Lord Murdoc, and would like to enter negotiations about a Goblin-Western Elf alliance."
He then sneers in a rasping voice, "You are no Dark Elf, but a human," immediately followed up by spitting on my foot.
Preparing for the worst I ready some spells in my mind; however, I respond in a strong tone,"I represent Lord Murdoc, we plan to invade to invade the land of the high-elves and put the b*st*rds back where they belong. Will you permit us passage?"
"Possibly."
I snap my fingers behind me as I ask the goblin, "How may we gain safe passage?"
Before he has the chance to answer, a member of my party, comes forward with a jug of the finest liquor available to the Western Elves. Another brings a package of salted pork. I take a swig of the jug to show it is not poisoned and hand it to the goblin.
He says, "My name is Captain Ezhirab, of the Blue Mountain Brigade, these are my men, pleased to meet you." At that he motions to his soldiers to come down from the trees and join us on the forest floor.

It becomes a regular feast, the goblins, the elves, and I enjoying the strong drink, the hearty pork, and goblin's mountain goat cheese on thick bread.
I take Ezhirab aside and make arrangements for him to take us down the mountain paths tomorrow, he tells me that within two sundowns we will meet the goblin king. He also tells me he will send his fastest runner to let the king prepare for our visit. The next day we continue our march, even though most of both parties have brutal hangovers...

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

OK. I will then talk to the leader about why he is doing this and get him to monologue. Right after he finishes, I'll just say one last word to him and his pack, "Bye." and then kill both of his lackeys. I then push the leader back onto the wall and say, " Give me the money and your weapons or I'll need to slit your throat too."

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Alg: Thankfully, you managed to get away from the guards and catch some rest in a tree. Although it was col, it was a lot better than the harsh confines of a jail cell. You awaken the next day, rather rudely, to a family of birds in a next near by chirping away cheerily as the sun comes out. You climb out of the tree and head towards the next town. Within an hour of walking, you make it to Fengray. After pawning all your loot, you leave rather empty handed. The merchant ripped you off, and all you got was a measly 5 gold. Grumbling to your self, you accidentally run into a beggar. "Hey miss...got some spare change?," he says waving around a metal cup. you are about to dismiss him when you notice he has at least 30 gold in the cup...
What do you do?

steevo: You decide to wait until the morning to see your friend and sleep under a tree. However, you wake up because you are being attacked! Attacked by huge, vicious...rats? There are 4 of them, and eat is about the size of a small dog. They were only poking around to see if you were still alive, but they look really hungry. And rabid.
What do you do?

Estel: After patching up the goblin captain, he looks mildly relieved but still very cautious. He looks directly at you and says in very crude standard "I know what you speak of. It was nearly 40 years ago, when I was still a low ranking unit in the goblin army. We heard of a wedding going on in small city named Kaldrere, only a few days march away from our mountain lair. Some young Numenorian in his twenties was being wed to local girl who was the daughter of an influential merchant. We figured it would be an easy and wealthy raid, and sure enough it was. Almost no one was ready for battle. When we attacked, most of the people fled in terror. However the Numenorian held fast to his bride-to-be, despite him having no weapons. I killed him myself, and that was when I got my first promotion. I saw you there much later in the day after done. You showed up late for some reason, and unlike the others you were battle ready. You killed nearly half of out platoon before we could flee with out loot and lives. But...you should know all of this."
Your head seethes in agony....
What do you remember? What do you do?

necromancer: The march to the goblin king was rather uneventful, although it seemed to drag on forever thanks to the after effects of the feast.
When you finally reach your destination, you are shortly granted audience with the goblin king. The leading up to the king is a long one, surrounded on each side by soldiers of the goblin army. Finally, you reach the king. Before you can say a word, however, the goblin king sneers and says "I have been told of why you and your party has trespassed on my land, human. You were lucky Captain Ezhirab spared your lives...which was one mistake he will never make again," and gestures towards the now lifeless body of Captain Ezhirab which is publicly displayed for all to see.
He continues "What makes you think we desire or need your help? We have needed no help in the past. We live as we desire and do as we please. We have always held out own and always will. You had better give me reason to not make you and your party into more examples of failure."
What do you do?

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

I give the begger/homeless 2 gold and leave him alone,and wish him good luck...(im not a loyal thief lol)And then i start seeking somewhere in the town for a fair Inn which costs 3 pieces of gold each night or less(kind of impossible). Later on i notice a not very nice Inn for 5 gold and im disappointed of myself.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

drakokirby: The leader, obviously scared senseless, look at you. After a few breathes replies "It is the only way of life I know...no one around here will give me a real job," he says all while pitifully sliding backwards to a wall of the alley.
As soon as he reaches the wall he says "If you do not kill me, I can tell you something that you may find very useful. Come closer so no one overhears."
You oblige the pitiful man, at least for now. As you kneel down and bring you face mere inches from his waiting for him to speak...he suddenly throws a fist full of dirt in your eyes! He then quickly stands up and knees you in the jaw. After you fall over blind and bewildered, he takes your coin purse and scroll. Before he runs off, he says "Hahahah Xalzin! Master Volok knew you had this scroll on you. He will pay me well for this."
Before you can scrape the dirt from your eyes and get up, the vagabond is gone.
What do you do?

Showing 16-30 of 59