ForumsThe TavernRP Session #1: The Dark Ages

59 10534
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

So this is going to be the first in what will hopefully be a long series of RP sessions made by me here on the forums. This one is going to be fairly simple one without a lot of unneeded fluff and such.

**Description of this RP session**
This session will take place in a classic D&D time period. Thus, magic and dangerous creatures rule the land. The chance to become a wealthy thief, a famed warrior or a powerful mage are out there. but first, you must read the directions. Even then, survival is not guaranteed...

**Rules**
- Anyone can join in at any point, just as long as they follows the proper creation procedures(to be explain later on in this post)
- Any god-modding of a players characters is not going to be tolerated. So a thief, for example, can not take on a giant in hand-to-hand combat and live let alone take no damage.
- Please keep all language to on the level which is acceptable on the rest of the forums. Same with gore levels. Nothing too...visceral please.

**Gameplay**
- The way it is going to work here is a fairly simple RP fashion. Each character is going to be on his or her own mission and storyline. I will be providing the situations for each character based on several factors, and doing post situation wrap ups(such as how injured the character is, what loot was found, what is going to happen next, etc..).
- I expect to see logical, well developed outcomes and battles when each player makes a post. Sometimes it make be possible to escape some battles and situations unscathed, but not all the time. There will always be a few ways to get out of each situation, and creative minds, sharp minds will often find themselves on interesting and rewarding paths.
- All characters will start off with a generalized set of equipment for each class, but will be granted new items/spells as gameplay goes on.

**Character Creation**
- There will be several basic classes to choose from which will affect gameplay. Example: A thief would not be able to lift/move a very heavy object whereas a warrior might be able to. On the flip side, there is no chance for a warrior to sneak or open locked chest easily.
- Races will not play a major role in this RP, they will mainly for for looks and character development. So feel free to be any traditional fantasy race you like, just do not expect it to change gameplay much.
- More about character creation will be explained further down.

Now to get into the fun parts! Yay!

***Every class starts off with 3 health potions in the start***

**Classes**
Stealth Classes
-Thief: Master of the stealthy arts such as sneaking, locking picking and getting into hard to reach places. Not suited for full on combat against more than one opponent, but does well in the stealth kill area.
-Rogue: The smarmy, slightly more robust cousin of the thief. Not quite as stealthy or as good at opening locked items. Yet a rogue makes up for this with his silver tongue and capable sword arm(So to break it down, he can smooth talk or fight his way out of situations a thief would not be able to).
Stealth Class Equipment
-Thief: A thief will star off with standard thieving equipment, such as basic light leather armour, standard dagger, lockpicking set and a standard short bow with 15 arrows in a quiver to start off with. *Feel free to describe any item as you wish, just know that they will still be basic and not very powerful(Goes for all classes and items).*
-Rogue: A rogue starts out with heavy leather armour, a short/long sword, light shield and lockpicking set.

**Combat Classes**
-Warrior: The typical rush in and beat the tar out of everything class. Very strong but not the best at anything other than killing and lifting. But who needs to sneak around and unlock doors when you can just turn them into kindling?
-Archer: The other side of the combat equation. Would much rather access the situation before heading in. Master of ranged combat, average at best in close quarters combat. An archer has limited sneaking skills, so he has a chance to get the drop on his enemies.
Combat Class Equipment
-Warrior: Starts off with standard iron plate armour, and a choice of weapons(such as long sword, battle axe, mace, two-handed sword, mace). Can also carry a heavy shield if weapon is not two-handed(So if the warrior was a battle axe or claymore no shield can be carried).
-Archer: Starts off with standard iron chainmail armour, standard long/short sword, standard longbow with 50 arrows in a quiver.

**Magic Classes**
-Mage: Ahh, the mage. Arguably the most intelligent of any class, and has the highest damage potential. A warrior may be able to cleave an orc in half, but can he cast a spell into the room and destroy 5 orcs at once? Mages are almost always on some quest searching for knowledge or power. Oh, and did I mention mages have next to no weapon combat knowledge or health? So if one walks into a troll, he better either think really quick or run even faster.
-Necromancer: The twisted, frowned upon brother of the mage. Necromancers also can not deal with typical combat, yet they also do not posses the powerful spells that mages can use. So how do they get by? Well, simple really. Creating undead creatures! Of course, a body is needed first...Necromancers are often never seen since they are hated by most everyone. There are even rumors that through the use of dark arts, necromancers can turn themselves into powerful undead beings.
Magic Class Equipment
-Mage/Necromancer: Both get the same starting equipment. Each mage/necromancer starts off with a standard robe. That is all. but they do get...
Spells
-Mage: Mages start off with a standard fireball spell(range of 15 feet and does splash damage in a 5 foot radius on impact), a standard levitate spell(Magnitude of roughly 5-9 feet in the air at start), and a standard shock damage on touch spell(must be able to touch enemy, does average damage).
-Necromancers: Necromancers start off with a standard drain health spell(range of 5 feet, does average damage), a standard rot spell(does direct damage to health of enemy due to their insides rotting, slows down target to half speed and kills without any other spell/damage within 10 minutes or so), and a raise undead spell(needs corpse near by in order to use).

Now that all that is out of the way, we can really start to have fun!

**Beginning**

When you first start off, follow the form below.

Character name: (Name of character, durr)
ClassSo I know what you are.)
AgeOptional)
RaceOptional)
AppearanceWhat does your character look like?)
BackgroundOptional, but gives me more to run off of for situations)
Goal/Reason for questingOnce again optional, if you want I can make a whole scenario for you)
Starting locationSame as above)

And there you go! All you need to get started on a simple RP session!

Hope you all enjoy, feel free to ask me any questions.

• 59 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Alg: Even though through your kindness you are out a real place to sleep, all is not lost. While wandering the streets you notice the back door of a decent looking home is wide open. You peek you head inside and listen for the sounds of anyone being inside, but hear nothing. Making sure no one sees you, you slip inside. You are amazed at what you see. It must be the home of a fairly well to do merchant, because there are silver vases, platters and expensive decorations all over the place. As you make you way around, picking up the most valuable looking items, you happen across a bedroom upstairs. You freeze, because you a man. Luckily, his back is turned. Before you turn to leave, you see that on the bed lays a woman. And crimson stains are flowring all across the fine bedspread. You also notice that the man is wiping a blade on his pants, and is starting to turn around.
What do you do?

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

I just ignore such horrible scene,go downstairs and hope that the man didnt saw me nor notice me.
As i leave, i notice that i dropped the items but one,a little bag of gold with <x amount> gold...(Aroud 5-20 i guess)
I then remember the 5 gold Inn,i get in and give the keeper 6 gold accidentally.
I get to my room,and fall asleep in the not-very-nice bed...

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts
Peasant

In a loud commanding voice that fills the entire room I ask, " your majesty, what have the high elves ever done for you? They have taken the gold and silver and the ores you mine, they sell them at distant ports for great profits, and what do they give you in return, nothing, they send some grain or refined products that are worth fractions of what you mine. While you struggle to survive, scratching a living from the rocks you live in, the elves grow rich and fat in their gilded halls exploiting you. They have wealth galore, an inconceivable amount, an unjust amount that has been extorted from the very halls that mine it. If you join us, I foresee a grand new age for the goblins and the dwarfs in these Great Mountains, an age of prosperity and happiness. You will have the means to truly do what you please rather than suffer at the hands of the wicked elves of the East. Join or Die!"
The goblin king retorts, "You have insulted us. Now you must die."
There is an ensuing crash of steel on steel as a fight I know my soldiers can not win breaks out. Under my breath, I utter the incantation, "Mors vives."
Ezhirab's head snaps upwards. He then surprises everyone but me. He yells to the frenzied combatants and the startled king, "You know what he says is true, the oppression of the so-called "high"-elves has kept our people down for generation after generation. If you ally with the Elves of the West, our children's children and every goblin who has yet to live will remember you as the greatest king we have ever had. In the future, they will be saying, why couldn't we have another king like him. Our people will gain freedom from the elves, we will be able to assert our independence and wealth will flow through our society as rivers of gold. Join them, or be remembered as a tyrant of tyrants, willfully oppressing your own people." Then Ezhirab's mouth closes its final time.
The goblin king stammers out to his soldiers, "Fight! No one can insult me."
The king's orders fall on deaf ears. His soldiers will not resume fighting. One even dares to call him a "false king, not fit to lead worms." And that is when the king realizes his power is waning.
"I mean... fight the corrupt elves, insulting our proud people by stealing our wealth... And find the five fattest boars we have, we shall negotiate a pact over the greatest feast these halls have held in a century."
And with that the Goblin King's halls reverberate with cheers...

steevo15
steevo15
1,562 posts
Peasant

Waking up after feeling a wet rat nose on my face, I open my eyes and see an ugly giant rat creature. While jumping up, I startle the rat that was sniffing at me. It steppes back about a meter. I quickly figure out that I will not be able to outrun these things so I must take a stand and fight. It is too close to use a bow, so I draw out my dagger. and lunge at the one that was smelling me because it was closest. I start madly stabbing at its head hoping that hitting it there would do the most damage. After a few seconds of stabbing, the rat falls limp and dies. Then the second after I kill the first rat, another jumps on me and makes a sizable gash in my right arm. Luckily this is the arm that I do not use my knife with. So as the rat is on me, I am only in a position to be able to stab the thick hide of it. The dinky knife hardly even penetrates it because it is so small. Cursing under my breath I push as hard as I can and I end up kicking the rat off of me. Despite the extreme pain In my shoulder, rushed over to the tree and started climbing it as fast as I could. Once I am in a steady position in the tree, I take my bow and take out the three of the rats with 6 shots from my bow. I slowly climb down the tree, when a branch breaks and I fall on my ankle from about 6 meters up in the tree. Pretty hurt and beat up, I lay there for a while. after about 20 minuets, I get up, take off my ragged old tunic and tear it up into strips, two of the strips are to bind my shoulder wound with. 3 of the strips I make a make-shift splint with, along with two semi- large twigs for my ankle. I lay down again for another 10 minuets. Then blood soaked and battered I get up and hobble my way to Esternwood.

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

Character name: Tetimaru Retribution
Class: Warrior
Race: Undead
Appearance: White cheeky skull, big ribs, heavy shoulders, broad, thick arms, long, strong and yet lean legs
Background: Tetimaru was killed in a battle where his whole tribe was slaughtered. He has now come back for vengeance. Problem is, he can't remember who slaughtered him and his tribe...
Goal/Reason for questing: Revenge
Starting location: Dark Hiils

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

I walk through the twisting, turning hills, looking for the moon, as that was the way out of the dreaded dark hills. After an hour of searching, he had found no clue nor sign. I fell down groaning in pain, but then suddenly, I saw a golden piece of metal sticking out of the ground. I grabbed it, and then...

Retribution_999
Retribution_999
263 posts
Nomad

...all was dark.

I opened my eyes and looked at my hands. I saw that the golden thing was a medallion, and that there was a weird symbol on it. I looked around. I was confused. How could I see the moon? At dark hill, you could not see the moon. That means...I'm not in the dark hills! I looked around, hoping to find a clue to where I was. I saw a sign, and rushed to it. It said, 'Esternwood---->2 miles'. Without a thought, I ran towards Esternwood.

drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Well, this made it more fun. No more robbing suckers eh. OK. I would go to a Ranger Guild in this town since like every town has at least one guild. I will find the most good-hearted Ranger their and said that my child was taken from me by a rogue. I will describe his looks and what he is carrying. The Ranger will take on the case, and more importantly, do it for free. He is now apart of my party! His name is Mourghe Greenleaf.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Character Name: Phillip Fillup
Class: Mage
Race: Human/Elfin
Appearance: Slightly short, small pointed ears, medium length brown hair, small frame.
Background: Phillup has seen many years of conflict, terror and harm come to his people. He comes from a land far across the sea and is the Royal Mage to the King. However, since the evil Necromancer Tominus Tommy murdered the Prince using magyk, Phillip was blamed. He was banished the the land of Scintaro, a bleak land filled with goblins orcs and the occasional dragon. The dark forces in Scintaro drain magykal powers, so Phillip must rely on only basic spells (like the ones given) or find the Amulet of Akanmasi (an amulet full of Magykal engergy) to escape the land.
First, however, Phillip must get away from the golbins that he was given to. He is being kept in a dark dingy cell. The door is made of wood and there is a small peephole near the handle.
Goal/Reason for Questing: Must find some way to escape Scintaro and prove that he didn't kill the Prince, possibly by killing the necromancer.
Starting Location: In a small dingy cell (as explained above^)

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

He tells me of this past occurance. My sight becimes blurry and once again, I see flames, screams, agony.....I see...myself running over the hills in a big hurry. I see the wedding! But it is definately not white, it is burning with flames reaching to the heavens. I look at one specific spot which happens to be the one I would rather not watch. My father's death by a heavily armed goblin. The sword in my hilt starts to burn in my hilt. It was given to me by my father, so at his death, the sword itself mourns. My rage is unbearable, so I take out my blade and charge down the hill. Goblins are killing my friends and family, but i must spare a few of them. SLASH! Two heads down, and I turn around just in time to dodoge a blow by another goblin. His mangled corpse was at my fett in seconds. I must of killed at least 20 before they decide to flee. But I see one goblin in particular, it is the one that killed my father. My blade burns red and I charge. I swing straight down the middle, but he takes a quick step, dodging eminent death, but still scratching his cheek. He glares at me, but flees with his comrades back up to the mountain.......I come back to see Captain still looking at me. I automatically look at his face, and I see the scratch that I had caused years ago.....

jwalshjr
jwalshjr
536 posts
Peasant

I think I may be good at this, I use to play a 'mud' called legends of krynn, a mud is an all text based game with no pictures so is therefor almost entirely Role play, let's hope I can bring back a thing or two since then! (I wanted to use one of my characters from theres descriptions but I've been inactive for so long my accounts deleted, and I've gotten a new computer since then, so don't have them in word documents anymore, too bad, it would have been uber long, like literally longer than whats on this 5th page so far, I use to be great with descriptions!)

Character name: Keenon
Class; Thief
Age: Around his 20's but appears to be about a 13-15 year old boy
Race: Kender (description of class - Small Children Sized people plagued by wanderlust - [excellent thieves])
Appearance: Appears to be about a 13 year old boy. He has light brown hair and many scars across his face. Most noticeable of these is one running from the corner of his left eye all the way to were it disappears under his leather armor. His light brown eyes seem blank, and are very hard to read, but seem friendly. His body is covered by mostly light leather armor that appears to be battle worn. He has a hardly noticeable dagger hanging at his side a bow on his back. His feet are completely bare, with no shoes or any coverings, and covered in scars. This boyish figure seems to like to keep to the side, among the shadows.
Background: An older male who has been alone almost all of his life, has had a rough life, with no one to look after him, friendly, and a great person on the inside, but has a drinking problem and has taken to thieving since it's his only way to get by.
Goal/Reason for questing: Has no family, and has to thieve to survive.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Just so you all know, I am still alive. XD

I had to work today, and again tomorrow. So from times between 11 PM Eastern and 3 PM Eastern(Yes that long, I did not make a typo), I will not be on here to make situations.

Even then I may not get around to it until around 4.30ish.

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

I had to work today, and again tomorrow. So from times between 11 PM Eastern and 3 PM Eastern(Yes that long, I did not make a typo), I will not be on here to make situations.

Ah come on,that isnt "that long"...
School for me longs from 8 AM to 5 PM...From Monday to Friday.
Today i missed the bus though.(Lol)
Anyways,Devoidless,hope you get back soon =)
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Oh, by the way..I meant 11PM one day to 3 PM the next. Yeah...Anyways!

Still exhausted and busy. Check in later today for new situations.

Sorry.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,675 posts
Jester

Alg: As you lay sleeping in the inn thinking about what you witnessed mere hours before, you have a terrible dream. In the dream you see the man from the house earlier, leaning over your bed. You waked up, startled, and realize it was not just a dream. The man you saw before is indeed leaning over you in your bed, and his blade is pressed against your throat. He says in a hushed tone "Now what was a lovely little thing like you poking your nose into random houses, interrupting important work? I was hired to kill the wife of a rich local merchant so he could be with his mistress. Heh, and he paid very well indeed. Even though you had the wise thought to leave before, I am afraid I can not leave any witnesses. This time, I will be the only one walking away."
What do you do?

necromancer: Due to your clever use of the dark arts and excellent diplomatic skills, the goblins are now allied with you and your cause. Yet that was only one step in your plan. From here, you could either try to find out if there truly are dwarves nearby...and if so you could try to ally your self with them. Or see how the human war machine effort is going.
What do you do?

steevo: You are wounded fairly badly, but you fixed yourself up well enough to last until Esternwood. You arrive in town two days later right after dawn, yet since it toook you twice as long to get there due to your ankle injury you are famished. You could either go directly to your friend to replace your lockpick and get fixed up properly, or 'browse' the local foodstands for a free meal.
What do you do?

Retribution: Due to your being undead, your do not nearly fatigue as quickly as a mortal man. You run full speed ahead to Esternwood, without even thinking of where you are or who may live there. All you want to know is where you are. Within 30 minutes you arrive. It is still fairly dark out, but dawn is approaching quickly. You rush to the first door you see, and knock on it. After waiting a few moments, you knock again. Finally, a young human woman answers the door rubbing her eyes sleepily. "Yes? What do you want this early in the morning?," she says. Yet before you can say anything, she looks at you and realizes you are undead! She is about to call out for help...
What do you do?

(Side note: This character's story and steevo's are many years apart)

drakokirby: Thankfully, the ranger wants no pay for his actions. For him, finding a stolen child is good enough for him. It is a long journey on the path of the vagabond, even with a skilled ranger leading the way. After several days of grueling travel, you and the ranger finally arrive at a very large and foreboding looking tower in the middle of an arid forest. The ranger than says "Haha! This is where the wicked taker of child lives. Allow me to assist you when you go after him, so I can confront him and show him the error of his ways!"
What do you do?

Kingryan: As you sit in your cell, you try and think of ways to escape with you limited powers. As you look around your dingy an rather barren cell you see: A pile of hay which is supposed to be your bed; an dirty metal dining set consisting of a plate, fork and cup; an emtpty wooden bucket meant to be your bathroom.
What do you do?

Estel: As you look at the goblin captain, a curious look spreads across his face. It is a mixture between amusement and curiosity. "You had no memory of it until I told you, did you? I can see it in your eyes. I have a proposition for you...Since you have made me useless in the goblin army now, I might be able to get you into out mountain base. Most of the loot we got from those many years ago is still in my possession. Normally I would not do this for a human, yet you seem to be...more than just a normal human somehow. Besides, they would of killed me off sooner or later. A goblin on my ages has very little to offer to the rest."
What do you do?

bigbowla: After waiting for what seems like days, the goblins go out again. They seem to have eaten all their food, and have gone out to hunt for some more. This time the leave one behind, who is lazily staring into the fire. You have at least 2 hours until they return.
What do you do?

jwalsh: You are sitting in a tavern, knocking back several of the bitter tasting yet potent local brews. It takes a lot to get you drunk these days it seems, you think to yourself. As you sit at your table in a darn corner of the tavern, you notice that a fairly affluent local noble has strolled in. You doubt that he is here for much more than the monthly payment. You question is answered as you see a bulging coin purse brazenly exposed for all to see on his side.
What do you do?

Oh, and how am I doing so far folks? ^_^

Showing 31-45 of 59